Chapter 19

Several days passed and Max was working around the clock to ruin the widow's plan to marry him. Word came from her maid one evening when most of the house was asleep.

Philomena's maid was standing in the salon when the three came down to meet her. She carried a bundle in her arms.

The maid threw the bundle down at their feet. "There ya go, gov. Milady's bloody bedding."

She held out her hand as if to ask for money. Max threw come coins in her palm and thanked her. The maid scurried out the door without another word.

Max bent down to examine the pile, picking threw it with a letter opener until he reached the stain. It was clearly from a monthly bleed as the stain was brown as if it was old blood.

They looked at each other. "Will this be enough?" Sybil asked the question that was all top of mind.

"I guess it depends on how we approach her with it," Max said. "I still think we keep the duke as an option. Perhaps I plan a meeting with her, and at the same time Reggie you plan to meet with the duke about some House of Lords issues or something noblemen meet about..."

"You forget you are a noble-..." Reggie started.

"I don't forget. Anyway, then we have them run in to one another. Even a simple mention of her pregnancy would have the poor duke concerned. I'm sure she would deny it in a flash," Max said. "Especially if she cares about him or if he is her meal ticket."

"Brilliant!" Reggie exclaimed. "I know why we keep you around..."

"Yes, my tactical expertise is why I'm here," he winked at Reggie.

The plan was set into motion. They decided Hyde Park would be an excellent location for the meetings.

Max scheduled to meet Philomena at 10:00 in the morning at the cake-house. Reggie was to meet the duke at the same time a little ways away so they could walk the rest of the way to the building.

Sybil was to go with Max to ensure a chaperone was present since Max and Philomena were both single.

Philomena was smug when she saw the couple, "Finally here to accept my offer?"

"Hardly," Max said as he arranged his cuffs. "In fact, we have evidence to show you are not even pregnant, Phil."

"Oh ho! I seriously doubt that. And why would anyone believe you anyway?" Philomena attempted to tarnish the major's reputation.

"Ah! Look who is here! Lord Pembroke!" Max signaled his lover who walked with an older gentleman. "We have run into Lady Philomena."

"Greetings, Lady Philomena. Have you met the duke?"

The look on the widow's face was priceless. Clearly she wasn't sure how he would react to learning she was pregnant, and she didn't want to find out.

After some pleasantries that were strained, Reggie decided to make his move, "My Lady, have you mentioned to Major St.John of your pregnancy?"

Philomena immediately protested, "What do you mean, my lord? I am not pregnant!"

Reggie chuckled, "Oh, Lady Philomena, I was asking my dear wife! We are expecting. I knew you were not with child! You aren't even married."

"Well, I hope we are now set with what we discussed earlier, Lady Philomena," Max said. "Lord Pembroke, would you like to escort your wife home?"

"Actually, could you please join us. I have some business to discuss," Reggie said. After some formal farewells, the three lovers left the duke and widow alone in the park.

"The timing of your pregnancy is impeccable, sweetheart," Max said as they settled in at home.

"You would think I planned it that way!" Sybil said.

"I loved the look on her face when we corrected her! I wish I could capture that look in a painting," Reggie said. "I would title it 'What the Fuck Just Happened!'"

"Reggie, watch your language, baby," Sybil scolded him.

Reggie rolled his eyes. "The two of you are no fun. Unless you are naked. Or I'm naked," he teased with a laugh.

"So now what? We have the widow and your blasted mother out of our hair. Can we just live like normal people?" Max asked.

"Normal?" Sybil asked. "I'm pregnant with one of your babies. I'm glad you are both brunettes with brown eyes."

"And you forgot to mention handsome," Max added with a wink.

"Yes, an ugly baby would give away our secrets or reveal new ones," Reggie winked at Sybil, too.

"Are you suggesting I'm fucking an ugly man?! I'll have you know that the both of you are way more than I can handle!"

"You're telling me!" Max agreed.

"Hey! I'm the one that gets punished all the time...."

They all started to laugh. It was true, he likely had the short end of the stick.

Sybil looked at the happy men before her. This life they chose wouldn't be easy. In fact, the hiding and the uncommon nature of it all would be hard. But the reward outweighed the risk, and love conquers all.

"Soooo...what were you saying about having sex now?" Oh Reggie!