Chapter 13

Reggie announced a few days later that his mother insisted on a house party to celebrate the recent nuptials. Evidently she was angry that both her children married by special license without a proper ceremony. With Katrina on bed rest for her pregnancy, the only remaining victim was Reggie.

Max knew that Reggie's mother suspected something going on between he and Reggie, but she didn't say anything to protect her only son. But it didn't stop her from making things more difficult for the couple.

They all hoped the party would remain small, but knowing the dowager Lady Hughes, it would be anything but.

Lady Hughes was to arrive two days before the other guests to arrange the menus and ensure the staff was sufficient. Her pending arrival was like a bucket of ice water on the lovers.

When her coach arrived, Lady Hughes went directly to Sybil. Having known her all of her life, she was overjoyed that her son married the neighbor.

"Oh Sybil! Aren't you lovely! Are you feeling good? Any grandsons on the way?" She teased as she hurried over to see Sybil and wrap her in a hug.

"Ha! I'm well, my lady. I can't report any good news yet, I'm sorry to say," she said although she wasn't too sorry. She wouldn't mind some time being married without children about. She was having too much fun!

"Soon enough! And if you are like your lovely mother, you will have a full gaggle," she said referring to Sybil's siblings. Sybil hadn't really considered that her parent's mating habits were more akin to rabbits.

"And I would be happy with just one goose, if that is all we can lay," Reggie joked as he wrapped is arms around Sybil's from behind. "It won't be a lack of trying, mother."

"Reginald! Always a cad!" His mother scolded giving him a sharp swat with her fan. "Now off to plan this party. Come along, Sybil. Busy, busy."

"Sorry," Reggie whispered as Sybil walked off behind her mother-in-law.

"You will be, baby," she whispered back with a wink. He smiled at her sass.

Max had decided to take this time and travel to his own estate to visit his brother. He said he would simply arrive with the other guests to lower the suspicion. Sybil hated that he had to do that. Especially since she and Reggie missed him terribly. A sad Reggie was like an overtired child - nothing could make him better besides going to bed.

Sybil's new mother-in-law kept the guest list to herself. She did mention that Beatrix and Camilla would not be attending. One of her desires in creating the guest list was to make some love matches.

Great, Sybil thought. Dealing with moon-eyed debutants and seductive rakes at her first house party as the earl's wife. Hopefully no scandals would arise.

"I have the perfect match for Reggie's friend, that Major St.John!" Lady Hughes declared. "It was a highly recommended match. Hopefully it will get the good Major out of your hair!"

What? Oh, this could only end badly. Reggie will be so jealous and Max will be so put off. "Lady Hughes, Major St. John has made it quite clear that he does not plan to marry."

"Well, unless he lost his pecker fighting overseas, I see no reason for him not to take a bride," her mother-in-law crudely rebutted.

"But that isn't our decision," Sybil said trying to direct her from this fools errand.

"We shall see. The young miss in question is quite the catch. In fact, I had hoped Reggie would have courted her."

Oh course she did. Sorry to disappoint, mother dear.

The day the party was to arrive was chaotic to say the least. More servants came from the London home to help in the chaos, but sometimes one can't stop the storm just get out of the rain.

Seeing Max's carriage arrive was the best thing Sybil had seen in days. She schooled her features and reminded herself that he was only a friend of her husband.

When she greeted him, he whispered how much he missed them. It lit a fire in her belly, and she couldn't wait to see him alone.

Carriage after carriage arrived, and although Sybil and Reggie tried to greet them all at the door, they had many obligations to attend to around the estate.

The schedule included a dinner that evening followed by a ball the following evening. The final day was a picnic, and then luckily the party would leave after that.

With all of the activity of the day, Sybil dressed for dinner in her rooms and met Reggie with the other guests in the salon.

She recognized several of Reggie's university chums, most of which were still unwed. She also recognized a few debutants she briefly met during the season. One in particular was speaking to Max and Lady Hughes. Clearly her mother-in-law did not take her advice.

Sybil and Reggie greeted everyone as they came in, and also made the rounds in the salon. When they arrived to the small group that included Max, he gave Reggie a look that spoke of annoyance.

"Oh, Reggie love. I was just telling Miss Catherine all about how brave Major St.John is, and how you met when he saved you from being robbed. A gang of ruffians," Lady Hughes said the last bit in a whisper.

This must be a good story indeed. Clearly this was the tale Reggie gave his dear mother when asked about their acquaintance.

"Major St.John, you haven't married yet, have you?" Lady Hughes asked even though she knew the answer.

"No, my lady, nor do I plan to. Now that story exaggerates my bravery..."

"Fiddlesticks! You saved my Reggie's life!"

"Indeed, Major St.John , if you hadn't saved him, who would I be wed to now?" Sybil fed in to her mother-in-law's regard for his bravery.

"I suspect it would be the Major based on our last conversation," a familiar voice said from behind them.

"Lady Philomena! I'm so glad you made it!" Lady Hughes declared.