twenty-four || meet you at the track

the song for this chapter is "Pinball Wizard," by The Who :)

Harry

     I had been given numerous assignments in which I was instructed to retrieve something, or recruit someone. I had been told to grab this, kill them, and take care of that. 

   I had gone out and brought in or recommended people who I thought Leonardo and the organization might benefit from. But this situation...this situation was new, to say the very least.

     It was new because one, Finley was a girl. And two, I had slept with her.

  This was the first time that I was being forced to associate my work life with my personal life, and to make matters worse, it wasn't like Finley was just some girl I had fucked. She was some girl who had beaten me in a race, that I had fucked, and that I had threatened to kill.

    So, yeah, not exactly a winning combination.

  What the fuck was I supposed to say to her? "Hey, Finley, I know we hate each other, and you know, I tried to kill you and all, but now, I really need you to get even further involved in this job. And oh yeah, you don't have a fucking choice."

   I mean, that's one way to do it. 

   What if she didn't even show up to Alex's next practice? What if she just fucking quit after our little interaction this morning? Where the fuck did she even live? I mean, yeah, I'm sure I could find out, and I could easily get someone to hack into Alex's phone to get her number. But all of this was becoming way more than I signed up for when I first spotted those cherry lips of hers.

   Although, I guess this was way more than she signed up for too.

     It had been a few days since I was instructed to recruit her as a full-time driver and employee of the mafia. Leonardo, as he always did whenever he was plotting something new, hadn't left me alone for more than a few minutes at a time.

   If I wasn't with him in person and having him incessantly tapping my shoulder asking about my progress with Finley, then I was constantly picking up my phone to answer one of his numerous texts and or calls. 

   Right now, I was on a walk, with my phone tucked into my back pocket, and pushing a fresh stick of cinnamon gum in between my teeth. 

   Yes, cinnamon. And I don't wanna hear any shit about it. You don't see me calling you out for your mint and spearmint and bubblegum and whatever the hell else flavors of gum you like to chew, do you? No. So pipe down.

    It wasn't too cold out today, so I decided to wear one of the band t-shirts that Finley hadn't stolen yet, a white vintage Johnny Cash shirt with retro-style red lettering. I wore it with a pair of mustard-colored wide-leg jeans, and a simple pair of cream sneakers.

   Yeah, big surprise, I know. I wear colors other than black and grey. You know, I do have a life of my own...sometimes.

    The late afternoon sun caused me to squint my eyes as I walked around the neighborhood aimlessly. I pulled my yellow-tinted sunglasses off of the collar of my shirt and silently cursed myself for not bringing my black pair instead, as these truly offered little to no protection from the sun.

     I always walked whenever I needed to think. Either walking or- 

      Wait a second, no. I'm not gonna tell you. You already pissed me off with the whole gum thing, so don't whine about it, you did this to yourselves. Maybe I'll tell you one day, but I doubt it. I had never told anyone about my second favorite stress reliever. Don't try to guess, I'm not going to tell you.