Chapter Twenty-Three

Disclaimer: None of this mine, nor do I claim to be Stephenie Meyer. I just like to dabble in the playground that she created with Bella, Edward and her Twilight characters. No copyright infringement is intended.

I had every intention to get to New York City in the previous chapter, but this seemed like a good place to stop. I also wanted to get Bella's POV of New York and their first time together, making love.

Chapter Twenty-Three

Bella

The following day, Edward and I went to the office with our bags. He also pulled some strings with his attorney to discuss setting up my will, just in case. Jason Jenks came over early. He was an older gentleman, about Phil's age with bright blue eyes and a friendly smile.

"So, you're the beautiful Bella that I've heard so much about," Jason grinned, shaking my hand. "Why are you with him when you could be with me."

"Stop flirting with my girlfriend, Jenks," Edward grumbled, tossing a pencil at his attorney. "You're here to work."

"I know, I know. Besides, my wife would kick my ass," Jason chuckled. "What can I do to help you, Bella?"

"I don't know if Edward told you my story, but I'm my half-sister's legal guardian. A little over a year ago, my mom and my stepfather were in a car accident. There was a drunk driver and they were killed instantly," I explained. "I don't have any other living relatives and I want to make sure that my sister is taken care of, in the case that something happens to me."

"Bella, you're young, healthy," Jason argued.

"So were my parents," I snapped back. "Phil had high blood pressure, but he was healthy. My mother? She suffered from migraines around her time of the month, but she was healthy. They were killed by some asshole who didn't think to before getting behind the wheel after he had too much to drink. Accidents happen and I can't have my sister be thrown into a situation where she's lost another parent."

"Okay, Bella," Jason nodded. "What do you need from me?"

"First off, I want to set up a trust for my sister to make sure she's provided for, similar to what she has now from my parents," I said. I handed him a copy of my parents' estate and paperwork from when they died. "I don't foresee myself dying anytime soon, but I want to make sure that she's okay."

"I'll take a look over this and fashion a similar document for you, Bella," Jason explained.

"I also want Edward to be Katie's guardian," I said. "He adores her like she's his own and I want her to be with someone who will love her, unconditionally." Jason blinked to Edward with wide eyes. He apparently knew of Edward's struggles with his emotions, but not necessarily of his complete past. "Edward's a part of my family. He is my family."

Edward took my hand, threading our fingers together. His eyes were soft and he gave me the most adoring smile. I could tell he wanted to kiss me, but we made some very clear rules that our relationship would remain away from the office. People knew we were together, but we didn't flaunt our relationship or make people uncomfortable.

"Okay, that works," Jason nodded.

"If something happens to Edward and me, I want Katie to be in Edward's parents' care," I said. "I may be paranoid, but ..."

"I get it, Bella," Jason grinned. "It will take some time to get things set up since I need to look over the information you've given me from your parents' passing. I hope to have something for you in a month or so."

"Okay," I sighed. "Is there a way that we can make note of Katie's guardianship relatively quickly, though? I'd like to have that set in stone."

"If something happens to you, I'll make sure your wishes are followed," Jason said, reaching over and taking my hand. I nodded. "Here's my card. If you need anything, just give me a call."