Chapter Nineteen

Disclaimer: None of this mine, nor do I claim to be Stephenie Meyer. I just like to dabble in the playground that she created with Bella, Edward and her Twilight characters. No copyright infringement is intended.

Anyway, we're going to finish Christmas in Bella's eyes ... starting with her conversation with Esme. We're also going to celebrate Katie's birthday and New Year's before heading back to work at MAC.

Chapter Nineteen

Edward

"Before I do, do you have any pictures of Edward as a little boy?" Katie asked, grinning at me.

"I do have a few," Mom smirked. "Edward was camera shy." She got up and found a small album from when I first moved in with them. She handed me the album to show Katie and Bella. "My son was as skinny as a rail and hated getting his hair cut."

I rolled my eyes, showing them the pictures. "This was about a month after I came to live with my parents," I said.

"Edward, you were a twig," Bella said, her eyes wide. "I also like your hair now."

"I liked to hide behind that mess of hair," I snorted humorlessly. Bella looked at me, understanding swirling in her eyes.

"What happened to your arm, Edward? You've got a cast," Katie asked, pointing to the green cast. "Did it hurt? You look sad and upset in your picture."

"I broke my hand. My dad was the doctor who set it for me," I replied. "And I was really sad for a long time ..."

"You're not sad anymore, right?" Katie questioned, clambering into my lap.

"No, Little One. You, Bella and my parents make me very happy," I breathed, giving her the photo album.

"Because you love us," she said with certainty. I smiled at her crookedly, giving her a nod. She kissed my cheek, looking at the pictures and asking a periodic question. I felt my mom get up and heard her quiet tears as she disappeared into the kitchen.

"I'm going to check on Esme to see if she needs help," Bella said. I turned and kissed her. She traced her fingers down my scruffy cheek. In a quiet whisper, she said, "I love you." I brushed my lips over hers three times and she got up, walking into the kitchen. My dad came to sit next to Katie and me. His blue eyes were also brimming with tears. His hand squeezed my shoulder affectionately. I just tightened my hold on Katie as she asked me questions about my childhood.

I knew that moment, something had changed for me. I understood what everyone was saying. Blood doesn't bind family ... relationships do.

My parents? We may not share blood, but they adored me as if they had me as a baby. They showed me love. They showed me how to love.

Bella and Katie were slowly becoming my family. I'd fight lions for them. I'd do anything to ensure their happiness, their protection, their love.

"Edward, I'm happy that we got to spend Christmas with you," Katie said quietly after my father got up to fill up his glass. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too, Katie," I said, kissing her forehead. "This is the best Christmas I can remember. Despite the early wakeup call." She just turned in my arms, giggling quietly and kissed my cheek. I sat back, holding her and letting the moment settle over me.

This was happiness. This was love.

I wanted it. I wanted it all.

Definitely my grown-up Christmas wish ...

Bella

"Esme?" I called, walking into the kitchen. She hastily wiped her eyes, turning around and giving me a watery smile. "Are you okay?"