Chapter 8

Her beauty was nothing compared to her personality. I hadn't expected her to be this way. She was trusting. Most people would have been suspicious after some random guy showed up and saved your life in the middle of nowhere. But I guess I didn't really save her, I more like gave her to the devil. She deserved more than that by a long shot.

"So um, where are you from Xavier?" Azaria's question surprised me. I'd never been asked where I'm from, I'd never even been asked about a single part of my past, or present life.

I cleared my throat before I said, "I actually..." I paused, taking a deep breath, "I don't have the slightest clue." A curious glance swept across her face as we came into a large clearing. The stars were beginning to appear so I sat down on the large patch of dirt. I leaned up against a maple tree and looked into her soft brown eyes.

There was no way she would let me escape without explaining. "One day I just woke up on a stone floor with no memories. After a while I found out I was in that castle right over there." Her eyes zoomed to the tall stature of the building not too far away. No words escaped her mouth as she stood there quietly.

When she turned her gaze back to me all I saw was sadness. My heart pounded as I watched a tear form in her eye. I'd never told anyone that before.

"What about your family?" Her voice shook slightly. I held out my arms and she walked over to me. She sat down next to me and I wrapped my arms around her. I didn't want to tell her about my past. No one deserved to be hurt by it.

"I don't know anything about them. I only know they're dead." The words came out soft and shaky. I decided she didn't need to know that I was working for the person who not only killed my parents, but hers. We sat in silence as the sky turned dark. I kept my arm around her, I never wanted to let go.