Chapter 1

Today had started off a normal day, and it ended that way. My tiny cottage awaited me about twenty feet away. The circle of flowers that surrounded it had never been brighter. Sunset pinks, lemon yellows, and lavish lavenders were sprinkled everywhere, even past the treeline. Everywhere you looked there were trees, trees, and oh! Look! More trees.They reached up into the dark sky, spreading their arms towards the faint light. Compared to their tall stature everything else looked miniscule.

Even though I was only eighteen, I hadn't seen another person for over a year, but I was never lonely. The constant swooshing of leaves and chirps from every direction kept me company. Anyways whether you saw it or not, life was always a step away.

As I walked through the knee deep sea of flowers the slight wiggle of blossoms a few steps away implied this. The young trolls were always up to no good when they were using their invisibility shields. It was supposed to be used only when needed like if they were being attacked by hunters, but that didn't happen very much considering most dangers had been eliminated.

Too bad for them, their stubby legs didn't allow them to sprint very fast. I swooped down, grabbing the invisible lump. As both of my hands wrapped around the small torso I drove my arms up tossing the colorless body into the dark sky. Giggles filled the air illuminating the night. His green hair started to reappear mid-air.

By the time I caught him, all two feet of body were there, from mossy hair to misshapen toes. I should've known it was Zayln. He wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug, the sound of his heavy breaths filling my ears. After a few seconds he pulled away enough so that we were face to face. He stared at me with his big brown eyes long enough to make me smile. "Azalia! Azalia!" he squeaked, "Guess what tomorrow is!"

I knew it was his birthday, but what's the fun of getting the question right? "Um, well let me see, It can't be your brothers birthday cause that was yesterday..."

"Yep!" He yelled, waiting for me to mention his birthday anxiously, his eyes wide and smile glowing. I couldn't stop myself from smiling when I looked at him, he was like the little brother that I... used to have.

"Hm, and it isn't planting season cause that's in four days." That is when all the trolls got together to plant moss. They took it extremely serious. "It wouldn't happen to be YOUR birthday tomorrow, would it?" I questioned with a slight smirk.

"It is! It is! And I just can't wait any longer!" His voice was filled with exuberance and his eyes were bulging out of his head.

I set him down gently as I laughed, "If you can't wait, then why don't I just give you your present now?"

His eyes lit up with excitement as he jumped up and down like a dragon learning to fly. "Please?" He whined.

"Come on then," I said as I grabbed his hand.

As he excitedly skipped towards my small cottage, he dragged me along by our connected hands.

Looking into the sky, I took notice of the shining dots above us. I had no clue of what they were but I had my guesses. Maybe my family lived up there. That's what all the wood nymphs told me. I wasn't sure if I believed it, but maybe I'd find out someday.