Chapter 4

Loud rustling awoke me late the next day. "Sorry, I'm not very good at being quiet," Xavier said.

"It's okay," I grunted. I slowly sat up blinking over and over to shake the fuzziness from my eyes. Without thinking I stood up and walked over to Xavier who was only a few feet away, building a fire pit. I looked down at my legs in amazement when I remembered they were severely burnt. Only a few blisters and scars remained of the mess they had been the day before.

"They healed better than I expected." He didn't even looked shocked. "I guess unicorn spit really does fix anything."

"Wait, did you just say 'unicorn spit'? That's what you put on me?" I was utterly disgusted. Where do you even find a unicorn?

Xavier laughed as I stood

there terrified. "They really aren't that hard to find if you know where to look." I walked over to the crystal clear lake and plopped my legs down into it and sat down on the bank.

"I don't even want to think about that," I said shaking my head.

When I was done washing all the saliva off me I stood and turned to Xavier. "I look awful don't I?" He laughed and strutted over to me.

He grasped my shoulders and said, "You could always look worse." He was joking around which seemed to be one of his favorite things to do. "You may need a bath sweetheart." And with that he shoved me into the lake.

Trying to stop the fall I grasped his shirt taking him down with me into the freezing cold water.

I went under laughing causing water to fill my lungs. Choking on the liquids I made my way to the surface. When I surfaced I hacked up all the water I swallowed. A minute later Xavier popped up behind me, wrapping his hands around my waist. He threw me into the air and I couldn't stop myself from screaming. As I hit the water I made sure to close my mouth.

There was no way he was gonna get away with this. I thrashed around; I couldn't swim. My heart pounded as I tried to kick my legs so that I would stay above water. "Xavier! I can't swim," I screamed. His face went from joyful to worried in an instant.

He paddled out to me quickly and scooped me up with one arm under my knees and the other around my back. I laughed as I looked into his startled face. "Why are you laughing," he questioned, "You could've died!"

His face was suddenly struck with realization. "You actually can swim!" He dropped me back into the water and I started to swim past him.

"That's what you get for throwing me into the water!"

I heard him laugh as I climbed up onto the bank. I watched him make his way over to me as I squished the water out of my hair. My clothes were soaked and the wind was starting to pick up. I shivered while I stood up and helped Xavier up the muddy bank.

He reached out his hand and led me towards the unlit campfire. "Lets get you warm," he said with a small laugh. He let go of me before he walked over to his green bag which seemed to be endless. From it he pulled what looked like a lump of white material. "This is the only thing I could find. Sorry, but the people I live with only wear white." He tossed me the silky fabric and I held it up. It was better than nothing.

"Thanks," I said with a smile. He nodded his head and started to light a fire. "Who are the people you live with," I asked quietly. I wasn't sure if it was a good question to ask, but I wanted to know.

"Mainly just other people," he said. "They aren't my family, but they're pretty close." I didn't want to sound nosy so I decided not to ask where his family was.

I began to walk behind a tree so that I could change. "Don't get any ideas while I'm gone," I said as I disappeared into the thick brush.

The dress fit me well enough that I didn't have to change back into my sopping wet clothes.

Xavier was sprawled out across the grass with a fire going next to him when I got back. He stared up at the sky as I laid down next to him. Our shoulders touched, making my world go fuzzy. "What are those shiny dots called," I asked.

"What? The stars?"

"Stars. Hmm its good to finally know." He looked over at me confused and then looked back at the stars. The day had gone extremely fast and I was ready for a good nights sleep. He didn't say anything which I was fine with because I liked the sound of chirping in the distance.

My heart flew out of my chest when he slid his hand into mine. I had no idea why, but I trusted him with everything, even my life. The last thing I remember seeing before I fell asleep was Xavier's face looking intently at the sky, he was perfect.