chapter 31 - let me go

"Let me go, Nat

"Let me go, Nat. It's okay, this isn't our goodbye we will see each other again but Tasha i'm in pain." Amara cried out using her voice that was running out quickly, the breathes were becoming more rigid and the color was leaving her face. Her heart beat was slowing and no one could save her. The pain in everyone's hearts was to much to bare.

"Okay, god i love you Amara, we'll be okay you go, be free." Natasha kissed her lips for the last time and her eyes closed, Natasha wiped the last remaining tear off Amara's eyes and Steve ran in with the ambulance. "You're too late." Natasha latched onto Lennox's side, her heart wrenching sobs let out it Lennox's shirt while Lennox let out all her tears of anger and grief.

Steve was the only one who knew that the bullet was meant for Lennox, because the ex hydra agent was coming after her for her traitorous behavior, Amara paid the price with that one movement she made making the bullet hit beside her heart.

Steve sighed and looked away from the corpse for a moment before going to comfort the two females, the guys walked over to take the dead body.

"What are you doing?" Natasha swatted their hands away.

"Taking her to the morgue, i'm sorry for your loss but you will have to decide what you want to do with it." The guy from the ambulance showed his fake condolences to the grieving Natasha Romanoff.

"We'll talk tomorrow." Steve said to the guys and let them take Amara's body away, he couldn't imagine how Natasha was feeling losing the one person who was supposed to be there for forever. That only twenty minutes ago they were all laughing, nobody ever thought that would be the last time the four of them laughed together. "Let's go home, come on." Steve said quietly helping them both up from the ground, they drove back to Steve and Lennox's house, Nat said she was going to take a shower in the guest bedroom.

The blood dripped of Lennox as she took a shower in her own bathroom, she sat down on the ground trying to have the pain and the loss set in, her best friend was gone. Really gone. How does someone recover from that pain. Cruel people took the brightest light out of her life, took the savior, the truth was Amara saved her from self destruction and Lennox could not repay the same action.

Steve knocked on the bathroom door. "I'm going over to Natasha and ... place she wants me to bring her clothes here i'll be back in a few." Steve said through the door, Lennox replied with an okay. Steve was about to say Amara's name but he couldn't let it leave his mouth it was to unbearable.

Steve walked into an empty house, the reminisce of Amara's stuff were everywhere, he didn't blame Nat for not wanting to be in the house, she couldn't be reminded of everything right now. The happy pictures on the wall of Natasha and Amara's adventures or the picture of Steve and Amara shotgunning a beer, the picture of Steve, Nat, Lennox, and Amara at Amara and Natashas wedding. The heartache struck him in the chest, Natasha and Lennox didn't just lose their best friend he lost one of his as well, it was the pain of watching Bucky fall all over again.

He tried not to think anymore as he went into their bedroom, grabbing Natashas clothes and a few other things before heading out the door leaving the eerie house just as it was.

The house that use to hold family dinners, or dance parties, the things that will carry on but never feel the same. They lost a person who made home feel like home.

Steve wanted to go back in time and pick a different table or not come home from the honeymoon, Lennox's gut feeling wasn't wrong everyone felt it except Steve, he was angry at himself if he would have just listened to Lennox, Amara might still have been alive. But if not Amara being shot it would have been Lennox, he didn't want to lose either but if Lennox had died the pain would have stuck him harder.

He had let the people he loved the most down, Amara he couldn't save her in time, Natasha because she lost the love of her life the one person who made her hold a contagious smile always. Lennox, his heart broke for her. She had just gotten her best friend back and she had lost her again. Vile people ruined a perfectly happy family.