chapter twenty five

~Harry~

~Harry~

The breaks squeaked as Harry pulled up to the Beck house that evening. The car ride back was held with an air that was unknown to both of them, neither of the speaking as Harry tried to process everything that had been thrown at him in the span of a few hours. He just couldn't get it out of his head that Dean had done so much to the girl and yet he still hadn't been fully convinced that he had gotten the full story.

"Thank you for driving me today," Marley said, her voice quiet as she spoke before she turned towards the door.

He hummed in response, giving her a curt nod as he waited for her exit. The events that unfolded before him still replayed in his mind as he tried to figure what the hell he was even going to do, conflict running through his veins at the options at hand.

She placed her hand on the handle, unbuckling her seatbelt as she went to leave the car. But then she stopped for a moment, releasing her hold on the door as she exhaled deeply, "You don't have to do it, you know."

"What?" he asked, not turning to look at her. His words not in their usual rude and condescending tone, but one of genuine confusion.

"Work for Dean, I mean. It was a lot to ask and I'm not blind. I know that you're not the same person you were before you left, it isn't fair of them to assume that you would be so willing to do something like that."

He turned his head to look at her, her features tired as her lips parted slightly. He was thankful for the words she spoke, thankful that she - of all people - could see through his facade that Woodgate hadn't completely destroyed him, taking the person he once was and replacing it with just an empty shell. Not even being able to recognize the person he was anymore.

"Do you want to come inside for a second? I don't really have much to offer, but I'm sure I can scrounge up a clean cup and some water for you."

Her words were kind as her face shifted from the serious one she previously had into one of a joking expression. The sun setting in front of them hitting her face in a way that made her eyes appear bluer than anything he had ever seen, his green vibrant ones getting lost in something that he could only compared to as the sky. She had a small smile on her face, almost hoping that he would say yes as she played with the hem of her white t-shirt.

"Umm, yeah, sure."

She smiled widely at him, something that he could get used to seeing as they made their way out of the car. He followed behind as she led them up the stairs, the wooden boards creaking with each step they took, making a mental note to see if he and Louis could do something about that as they walked, feeling stiff at the idea of Cole getting hurt because of poor condition.

They entered the house quickly, Harry standing to the side as he waited for her to walk in. He watched her for a moment, seeing her shut the door forcefully as she locked it once before checking that it had worked as she moved to the final one on top of the doorknob.