Chapter 8

Rudy looked around, "I can't get over the fact the fact the NPCs were staring at us. It was like...the game evolved or something."

Keira just patted his shoulder, "It's a game - a crazy weird game - but still a game. There's no way it could evolve. It was probably just a glitch or something."

Rudy nodded, though feeling chills down his spine. Something was wrong with the game. He watched his group warily.

Brynne stretched her legs, "I'm just glad those ostriches stopped chasing us."

Aiden leaned on the back of the dune buggy, "It's too weird. There's no way the game took pity on us."

Mini pushed up her glasses, "I agree with, Niki- I mean, Aiden."

Aiden glared at a snickering Rudy, "Be quiet, Zac Efron."

Rudy threw his arms in the air, "I STILL DON'T KNOW WHO ZAC EFRON IS!"

Nikita just sighed, "Aiden, you were in charge of teaching him the ways of the world."

Aiden rolled his eyes, "Fine. Way One: Zac Efron is an actor, and you're lucky you look like him in the game, because you're not this pretty in real life."

Rudy feigned hurt, "Did you just call me uGlY?"

Nikita nodded, "It's true, though."

Keira shook her head, "Guys, can we get back to the-"

"Are we going to ignore the fact that Aiden just called Zac Efron pretty?" Hira asked.

Keira smacked her friend's arm, "Look, we can get back to the Rudy being ugly/pretty debate later. We need to figure out where Aru is and get out of the game."

Mini nodded, "She's right, you know. Also, if there's a way to switch our bodies back to normal-"

Rudy fake-coughed, drawing attention to himself, "Our?"

Mini massaged her temples, "I mean, your. I was lucky enough to keep my body."

Brynne laughed, "As if we'll ever catch a lucky break like that. Especially in the game."

Nikita nodded, checking her nails, "Rudy, your character has the worst manicure. Also, I'm starved. A girl needs her food."

Hira chuckled, "Technically, you're a boy right now, but same. I'm hungry. What do you say we get food before we look for your friend?"

The OG gang looked at each other and came to a silent agreement. Rudy grinned, "Food first it is!"

Brynne smirked, "I got you guys covered. I'm a chef - Oh, wait."

She glared at Hira, who just blinked in surprise. The latter's eyes widened, "OOH I'M A CHEF. Let's see if I have anything in my pack."

Hira opened her backpack and rummaged through it, finding a few chocolate chip cookies. She handed one to everyone and kept one for herself. Everyone munched quietly on their cookie, their eyebrows furrowed - thinking about the next course of action. Aiden just about finished his cookie when he felt a shiver run down his spine - he only felt that when Aru was around.

He held up his fist to the group, telling them to stay silent. Aiden slowly turned around, inspecting his surroundings. One thing, or rather person, caught his eye. It was a woman in a tattered hood. It shadowed her face enough so that they only saw her mouth, which was quirked in a smirk.

The woman made elegant moves, talking to people like a friendly civilian, but that didn't distract Aiden from seeing what she was really doing. She was pickpocketing every person she came across - stealing watches, wallets, and food.