Chapter 3 - When Kingdoms Fall and Your Family Fades

Not a day after my talk with Cary, vampires flooded the Bayou. My premonition skills seemed to be back, but they were weaker. It bothered me, there was something off with nature's balance. I shrugged it off, there were bigger matters at the moment. I had to find out more about Klaus and his connection to the North East Atlantic pack.

Marcel's daywalkers started trashing our camps, looking for us. We weren't dumb though, we had lived in the Bayou for almost 20 years, we knew our way around. But the newbies didn't and that was dangerous.

"Hey, they're obviously here! Fan out, find 'em and bring me some heads!" The leader of the group, a black vampire with dreads barked. Just when I thought to intervene, Elijah and a blonde bombshell vampire came to interrupt.

"I'd rather you didn't" Elijah says and startles the black vampire.

"The hell ya'll doing out here?" He responds.

"I've come to suggest you seek other hunting grounds" The black guy shrugs.

"Suggestion noted" The blonde girl walks up to him with a small smirk.

"Oh Diego, it would be such a shame to have to rearrange that pretty face" She lifts her hand to touch him but he grabs her hand.

"The hell you care 'bout wolves?" He asks Elijah.

"Generally, I don't. However, this particular clan is not to be touched" He walks up to Diego. "Goodbye"

"Bye" The blonde whispers with a smirk. Diego signals his friends with a resigned look.

"Nothing out here anyway" He whistles and the vampires leave with him.

"Ah great, I think as well our job here is done" The blonde says with a smile. I decide to show myself and Elijah notices my presence quickly.

"Not quite" He speeds off and appears in front of me. I smile at him in a friends look. "We're not here to harm you. Hello again. Clair, was it?"

"One of Hayley's litter mates, I presume" I glare at the snooty blonde.

"You must be here because of Hayley, right? Tell her we're grateful and all, but we don't need your help. We've been on our own for 20 years, no one finds us unless we let them"

"Well, we found you, so..." I roll my eyes. She really is blonde.

"Like I just said" I take off a map of the Bayou of my pocket "But there's something here I think your family would be interested in" I roll out the map on top of a rock and point at the spot we're at, where my clan usually hides. "We're surrounded by 20,000 acres of swamp. We're used to it and know everything about it, but there are newcomers who aren't familiar with it. Not from Hayley's and mine pack, the word about her miracle baby spread and lots of werewolves from out of Louisiana came to see it. But now, you folk are hunting us and they don't know where to hide"

"You say it like we're supposed to care" The girl narrows her eyes at me. I smirk.

"Oh hun, you'll want them alive. Believe me"

"And why is that?" Elijah asks.

"Come see for yourselves. They're quite easy to find" I tell them and fold back the map. "I'll show ya" And start walking inside the woods, not bothering to see if they're following. In a couple hours we reach Cary's trailer. The blonde, who I learned is Rebekah from what Elijah has whispered, whistles.

"They travel in style, don't they?" Elijah opens the door and peeks inside the trailer.

"It's empty" He looks at me with suspicion in his eyes.