Chapter 10 - I'm Holding On For Dear Life

I was drowning my sorrows and headaches with all the booze available at the Quarter. The stores sold me anything with a bit of persuasion magic, I was beyond caring for ethics. The painkillers didn't work, the booze didn't work, nothing worked and my head was hurting like a b*tch.

I was only slightly tipsy even after 1 bottle of tequila, 2 of vodka and 1 of whisky. Sighing, I laid my head against a wall and held back the tears that fought to fall. Davina was dead and I couldn't do anything to help her. I didn't even know where I was, I just walked around playing with the bottle in my hands.

Humming a soft tune under my breath as I stumbled around the streets a gust of wind hit my face and I blinked to see the big bad hybrid standing in front of me. With a sigh, I gulped the rest of the liquor down and stared at him with disinterest.

"If it isn't the big bad wolf himself. Come to steal sweets from my basket and eat grannys?" I ask him, laughing at my own silly joke. He rolls his eyes but smirks evilly.

"Clair Deveraux. Not really who I was looking for, but you'll do just fine" He grabs me by my throat and chokes me slightly. "Perhaps you could explain some attacks on my men" He points at a chalk drawing on one of the walls near us. I channel magic to my hands and push him away from me with telekinesis.

"If you need something from someone don't try to f*cking kill them!" I growl. Massaging my throat I glare at him "What do you want?"

"You seem awfully brave, little witch" He narrows his eyes.

"I'm drunk as hell, Klaus. Spare me your paranoia" I roll my eyes and throw away the empty bottle. He looks suspiciously at me but seems to let it go. He the goes nearer the drawing and beckons me over and I come closer to see a bunch of candles on the ground, some stuff lying in a makeshift circle and the runic mark on the wall.

"Today, two of my men were killed. Not staked, just dead and with that mark on their foreheads. I want to know what it is" I get closer and touch the wall. A wave of power hits me and I see a glimpse of a black man in a white suit holding a bone knife, carving his mark on two vampire's foreheads. Gasping, I walk back and stare shocked at it.

"It's-it's some sort of sacrificial magic, really old and dark... I think who did this was offering the sacrifice to the ancestors to win more power. More vamps killed, more powerful they get" Klaus' phone rings and he answers while I kneel to take a better look at the circle. A voodoo doll was left there, the same mark cut into its forehead. I touched it and saw the black man again but this time with someone else, a woman with dark curly hair but I couldn't see her face.

"What's that on your shoulder?" Klaus' voice pulls me out of my vision and I'm startled to see my coat fell off my shoulder, exposing my crescent mark. I pull it back on quickly and look at him.

"Nothing" He narrows his eyes but sighs.

"I have to go save Marcel. Good-bye" He turns on his heel.

"Klaus" He looks at me over his shoulder. "Be careful" He looks curiosly at me. "That guy... I saw a glimpse of him. He's strong, don't rush into this" Klaus nods slightly and disappears. I sigh and sit down, my back to the wall. Not long after I sit, my phone rings. The caller ID says Elijah and I frown before answering.

"Elijah?" I ask him.

"Clair, thanks for answering. I just found Rebekah but she's inside a magic circle with a marking on her forehead. Help me get her out" I roll my eyes, I'm not here to solve all Mikaelson witch problem.

"Let me guess, the mark is a cross with a x and it's draining her power?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"Yes, I take it Niklaus came to you for help?" Elijah seems unistered, probably too busy trying to get inside the circle.

"Ok look, that's probably a convoluted spell. Usually it needs some very specific ingredients so if you break that by adding something new, like volcanic ash, rock salt, snake's tongue, porcupine needle, eye of newt..." I start listing ingredients from the top of my head.

"What about the blood of a witch?" I frown.

"You have that?" He hangs up and I look bewildered at my phone. Do Mikaelson's have no politeness?

I went back to examine the doll. Mumbling a spell of clairvoyance I was engulfed into a clearer vision. The black man was there but now I could see the woman more clearly. With horror I realized it was Sabine. I looked around and saw two other women with her, one who was supposed to be dead, our Elder Bastianna. My shock was so great it pulled me away from the vision. I looked at the doll in my hands with fear. Bastianna was alive, that could only mean Sabine used the Harvest to bring back the wrong people.

"Oh God" I hugged my knees and held back the sobs that wanted to escape my throat. Sudden realization hit me, if she brought those people in Davina's place, maybe if they die, Davina will come back!

My phone rings and I see a message from an unknown number.

'come to the compound asap

- K'

I groan, what the heck does this hybrid want now? My head was hurting again, whatever it was, it was getting worse and I was getting tired. I would gladly cut my head open if it meant to get the pain out. Stumbling from the still light drunkeness and headache, I reached the compound after some time. It had really been a while since I knew all the streets and backcorners of the Quarter.

When I got there, Klaus was giving some stupid speech to the vampires about how they were cowards, he wasn't going to take care of slackers, yada yada. I just went inside and sat down on the comfiest armchair with my back lying against one arm and my feet over the other arm. I braided some strands of my hair while I waited for the big bad hybrid to talk to me. He was now blabbing something to Marcel, I tuned off completely, vamp talk was a bore.

"With the help of our dear friend, Clair" I heard him calling and sitting in front of me. I raised an eyebrow.

"What? Wasn't paying attention to you" I yawn. Maybe I was drunker than I thought.

"You're going to explain to me why a witch I killed 100 years ago has come back from the dead and went around killing my vampires" He smirks and sets down his glass of blood on the coffee table. I roll my eyes.

"Put two and two together. Powerful witch, ressurected from a century ago, recent power flowing through the earth, supposed to ressurect 4 young girls. It's the Harvest" He looks at me in disbelief. Sighing, I stand up and look at him in the eye. "Someone jacked that power and brought back the wrong people"

"If we can get that power we could save Davina" I smile a bit at Marcel. He was a vampire but at least he did care about Vina.

"Let's concentrate on the immediate problem, shall we? Papa Tunde wants revenge. He'll continue to attack us, channeling power from the vampires he sacrifices. He kills, he grows more dangerous. So how do I end him?" Klaus ponders.

"He needs sacrifices to continue growing his powers. Keeping him from killing vampires is a nice start" I say and throw myself back at the armchair.

"Unless, he finds a place full of vampires ready to be sacrificed" Klaus realizes something and looks at Marcel in alarm. They both rush off in seconds and I am left with no ceremony by a Mikaelson once again. God, these people need to learn some manners.