Chapter 8 - You Bleed Just to Know You're Alive

When I woke up I was in a wide room with antique furnishing and cream walls. Sitting up, completely confused as to where I was, I noticed Andrea on the side of the bed. She gave me a small smile.

“Rebekah explained everything to me, about you. She says she’s sorry but that you needed family close by” I look at the sheets around me, thin but warm, and wonder what to say next.

“I never meant to manipulate you, Andrea. I was going to tell you before you met the clan, how it was your choice to view me as you wish. If you don’t want me near, I won’t force myself” I couldn’t meet her eyes, I knew she was going to say I was a manipulative bitch and that she would never see me as family. To say I was surprised when she hugged me was an understatement.

“I know how it is to have no family, Clair. And I really want to have a real one. I know you must’ve been desperate, I don’t blame you. We’re sisters, no matter what the rest of the world says” She’s hugging me tight and we both start crying. She’s probably just hormonal, but me, I’m crying over all the years I saw her as my one hope and now she proved she really is.

After what seemed like hours of the two of us crying on each other’s shoulder, I let go of her and look around.

“Where are we?” I ask.

“The compound. Marcel said it would be better for Davina if you were here, Klaus was not very happy but agreed. I think he doesn’t want another flight risk” She smiles weakly.

“What’s wrong?”

“I set her off, Clair. I told her Agnes was dead and that Marcel was lying and she ran away. It’s my fault that kid died” I hugged my sister tight.

“It’s not your fault. It was Klaus’ and Marcel’s who only lied and manipulated her to no end. You only opened her eyes, don’t feel guilty about that” She sniffs and nods.

“You better go look for her, she probably thinks we left you at the Garden’s or something” I nod and get up. I then notice I’m not in my own clothes and frown.

“Who changed my clothes?” I eye the oversized flowy green blouse that reached my knees I was now wearing with suspicion.

“I did. Your clothes were filthy, no offense. So I put you in some of my own” She looks a bit embarrassed but I laugh. My clothes really were dirty, it was tough doing laundry in the Bayou.

“Thanks, sister” I wink and she smiles. I leave the room barefoot, looking for Davina. Instead of Davina, I find a living room with Elijah and Klaus discussing. Just when I think about crossing the threshold to talk to Elijah, noises of a fight come from a nearby room and startle me, making me trip on the rug and fall not very gracefully.

“Ugh” I groan and suddenly there’s two Originals in front of me.

“Eavesdropping, are we little witch?” Klaus asks with a smirk. I glare at him.

“I was looking for Davina, not that it’s any of your business” I wrinkle my nose, something I always do when I’m angry or frustrated. Elijah offers a hand to help me stand up but I ignore it and get up without help.

“Are you alright, Clair?” I flip my hair out of my face and look at him in annoyance. True that it was Rebekah who broke the promise, but he should’ve kept her silent.

“Sure, Elijah. I’m great now that your sister babbled everything to Hayley” He looks shocked and a bit uncomfortable. “Now excuse me, I’m going to help my friend” I push past the two Originals and open the door I heard the noise coming from.

“Davina? What’s wrong? Want me to kick Marcel out?” She looks at me and a flicker of happiness comes in her eyes.

“Clai–“ She gasps and starts throwing up dirt on her sheets. I run to help her just as Klaus comes inside.

“What’s with all the racket?” Davina throws up again and I try soothing her when she starts crying. “Bloody hell!”

Suddenly the ground shakes and I’m thrown away from her and into the wall but Klaus catches me before I hit my head. I look at him in confusion but he seems to be worked up with the sudden earthquake that just happened and lets me go. I go back to Davina as Marcel and Klaus leave to talk somewhere else. I hold back my sobs because I know Davina’s time is ticking closer to her end.

“Vina, don’t worry, it’ll be alright” I hold her close as she shakes in fear or from something else I don’t know. Rebekah then comes inside and I glare at her. She looks a bit embarrassed but not guilty and I hold Davina closer.

“Hey. What kind of game do you think you're playing? I said disrupt the household, not destroy the whole city” She asks, almost joking but I know she’s being serious.

“I didn't do it. Not on purpose. I– I don't know what's wrong with me” I run my hands though her hair.

“Nothing is wrong, sweetie, don’t worry” I tell her, glaring at Rebekah again. “We know you didn’t mean that, your magic is getting out of control but it’ll be alright soon” She’s frightened and I know that so I look at the blonde woman before me. “Go Rebekah, you could be more useful with your brothers than here” She’s slightly offended but goes away.

“Clair?” Davina asks weakly.

“Yes?” I wipe away some dirt that’s still on her face.

“Sing for me? Like, like how you used to sing while Tim played the violin” She fights back her tears and my heart feels like it was just punched.

“Sure. What do you want me to sing?”

“Anything” She closes her eyes and I think what song I should sing. It’s been a while since I listened to recent songs but I know Davina doesn’t care much for recent.

“And I’d give up forever to touch you” I start, my voice quivering. Iris was a song Tim had heard years ago and asked me to sing all the time for him to practice his violin with. “ ‘Cause I know that you feel me somehow. You’re the closest to heave that I’ll ever be and I don’t want to go home right now”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Klaus’ POV

Elijah just left to look for the Deveraux witch and I kept pacing the living room. Davina is useless in this state, she’s practically falling apart at the seams. Maybe I shouldn’t have killed the boy, that seemed to be a trigger to her crazy behavior. I sighed to myself when I heard singing coming from Davina’s room.

It was a pretty voice, I won’t deny it, so I went closer to Davina’s door.

“And I don’t want the world to see me, ‘cause I don’t think that they’d understand. When everything’s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am” It wasn’t Davina, I could tell. Nor was it Hayley or Rebekah, which only left the mysterious witch that Elijah and Marcel insisted on being here.

She was weird, I hadn’t seen her on the Quarter, or at all for that matter, until the day she appeared at the Plantation House with Elijah and Rebekah. Marcel says she’s a Deveraux but why wasn’t she here before when Jane-Anne and Monique died? It was suspicious and I didn’t trust her.

“What are you doing Klaus? Stalking Davina?” Hayley asks, startling me when I was lost in thought. I glare at her.

“Merely wondering who that witch is and why Marcel and Elijah are so interested in her” Hayley’s eyes flash something but it was too fast for me to recognize it before it was gone.

“She’s Davina’s friend. Isn’t that enough? She’s keeping your not-so-secret weapon in check” I narrow my eyes at the werewolf who’s carrying my child.

“You know something, little wolf. And I’ll find out what it is” With that, I stalk away to wait for Elijah and the witch.