Chapter Nine: Farmers Market

Percy came back late again twice this week. He keeps saying that it's his new job and a I don't understand how he thinks that I'm stupid enough to believe that because I know he comes back at 12 am, sometimes later. And yeah, he might be one of those late shift workers, but he says he's working at a car shop. Please tell me why they would keep him there for that long. I don't understand how much of an idiot I married. That was nowhere in the vows we read to each other at our wedding last year. (a/n: dont feel like writing about the wedding so let's pretend they got married last year when Ava was like one)

He was late today as well. The last two nights I went to bed without him, but today I waited for him. As it was nearing 12:30 am, the door swung open.

"Percy, you're really acting suspicious," I said, my voice almost cracking. "Please tell me where you've been."

"My job," he said. He didn't meet my eye.

"How much of an idiot do you think I am?" I said, my voice shaking. "It's so obvious you've been lying to me about this so called job. Tell. Me. Where. You've. Been."

"Listen, I've had a really long day, and I just want to go to sleep," he said. "Can we not argue right now?"

"So that's all you think this place is," I said angrily. "Just a hotel where you can come to sleep and just leave whenever you want. You have a daughter and wife here too, did you forget?"

"Annabeth, please-"

"Cut the crap," I snapped. I left him standing there and slammed the door of our room, crying myself to sleep.

The Next Day

I woke up before Percy today, not wanting to see or talk to him. Ava had also woken up, so I took her with me to go to the Farmers Market. I usually loved the farmers market, but today I was just not in a good mood at all. I even got mad at Ava, and when she started crying I felt horrible.

"Here, we can get you a yummy lollipop, ok?" I said, trying to cheer her up. I bought a lemon sucker and gave it to her, where she proceeded to lick it happily. At this point I had somewhat calmed down from last night and decided to take Ava to the park.

The park we went to was right by a neighborhood, but anyone was allowed there. I watched Ava as she ran around on the gravel, falling a few times but getting back up with a smile. I looked at the houses in the neighborhood. They were all very beautiful. The first time me and Percy came here, I pointed that out to him, and he even agreed with me, which was quite surprising. I sighed. Suddenly I saw a familiar mess of black hair and tall figure, walking into one of the houses with another woman.

No, I thought to myself. It can't be him. I was just thinking about him, so it must be a trick of my mind.

But as the man turned, I caught sight of his face. It was Percy. He walked inside with the woman. I couldn't quite make out her features exactly, but she had beautiful brown hair and was wearing a dress. I was so jealous of her. I always wanted brown hair. Everyone takes you seriously as a brunette, but as a blonde, you have to work twice as hard to prove that you're smart too.

I choked back a sob. "Come on Ava, we're leaving."

She cried and complained, but I stuck her in the car seat nonetheless and drove home. I couldn't process what I saw, and I didn't want to.

I started crying the minute we got home. I didn't care that Ava was watching, I just couldn't keep it bottled in anymore. Ava stopped crying immediately, confused as to what was wrong. I sobbed for a good 5 minutes before Ava started to get anxious.

Come on now, you're stronger than this, I thought to myself, You need to pull it together for Ava.

Ava started to cry again. "Daddy, d-daddy," she wailed. I tried picking her up, but she went limp and resisted against me. She protested and kicked, flailing around.

"Ava come on," I said gently. "Do you want to watch some TV?"

She shook her head vigorously and continued whining for her father. I could not get her to stop crying. I tried playing with her, giving her her favorite snacks, trying to sit her in front of the TV, but for the life of me, she wouldn't stop crying. I even forgot about Percy and the woman he was with, because I was so focused with Ava.

Percy finally came home, and for a split second I was relieved so that Ava would finally calm down. But then I remembered. I didn't know what to do. My head started spinning and the only thing I could do was walk past him into our room. I heard Ava stop crying and exclaim that her dad was finally here. I felt like snatching Ava away and hitting Percy, but I also felt like crying again. I decided on the latter. I didn't know what to do. I needed to talk to someone, and I should probably talk to Percy, but I wasn't ready to face the truth of it. I needed to talk to someone who might know what I was going through.

I needed to pay a visit to Jason Grace.

A/N

Hey guys, so that was the whole chapter. I would have continued it, it's just it would've made the chapter way too long, so that will be in the next chapter.  I hope you guys enjoyed

~Renee