Chapter 22: Apologies

Charlie and I didn't talk after our fight.

Cristian brought me to the store and helped me get groceries. During the last week of April, Fluffy was sent back to Scotland. The next week I went too.

When I went to see Percy, he was pissed at me because I never wrote back to him. I was pissed at myself.

I did all of my exams. I passed all of them with flying colors.

McGonagall said she was proud. Dumbledore told me that my mother would be elated to hear the news, along with whatever else I had to tell her. He had that knowing look in his eyes. He always seemed to know more than he was meant to, and a part of me was unsettled, but the other part of me was thankful.

I had to do something. I had to say something.

Dumbledore arranged a time that I could go visit my mother. I apparated to her house from outside of school grounds.

"Y/N," she breathed out when I showed up at her door.

"Hi, mom," I said. "Can we talk?"

"Yeah... yeah. Come in," she said. We went to the living room.

"I'm really sorry, mom," I apologized.

"I am too. Can I explain myself?" At my nod, she continued. "Your father got me pregnant before he told me that he was a wizard. Not that I regret it at all, honey. You're my pride and joy, but I'll never understand your world and I hate that. I want to be there for you in the way that your father could have been, but I can't."

"It doesn't matter, mom," I dismissed.

"It does, though. I know that your father gave you something that I never could. I know that he was there for you in ways that I never could be. He could be a confidant in areas where I couldn't. Before your father came back, I thought that if I let you do what you felt you needed to at Hogwarts that you would learn what you needed to so that you could finally fit in somewhere. And then maybe you would... I don't know, like me?"

"Mom, I love you. You know that."

"I don't know that. I tried to help you in all the ways that I could but everything that I did pushed you further away from me. Sending you to the Weasleys' was supposed to give you a place where you could be yourself, but it only made you want to be away from me more than ever," she said, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Mom, I'm so sorry."

"And then your father came back and I saw how happy you were with him. He gave you answers to all of the things I couldn't... I knew that it was going to break your heart when he was gone, so I thought that I would let you do what you felt was right. I let you skip school... but that was a mistake. When you asked to go to Romania, I finally realized that by letting you have free-reign, I was driving you away. I thought that if I could keep you close, then maybe we could fix this."

"You don't need to fix anything. I do. I'm a bitch." She opened her mouth to speak. "No, it's okay, I know I am. I get it from dad. I'm going to be better, I promise, mom."

I wrapped my arms around my mother and let the tears fall.

***

I walked into the Gryffindor common room apprehensively and scanned the room for Percy. I spotted him sitting on one of the couches in front of the fireplace.

"Percy, can we talk?" I asked from behind him. He was seated beside Oliver.

"I guess," he responded and followed after me as we went to a more secluded corner in the common room.

"I want to apologize," I blurted out, "for a lot."

"I think I'm definitely owed something," he responded and crossed his arms over his chest.

"I'm just warning you, though, I'm giving you all of the details. Once I start, I'm not stopping."

He looked unimpressed.

"Okay, first, thank you for tutoring me. It really helped and without you, I would probably be dead in a ditch somewhere. I'm sorry that I didn't write. I tried to, I really did. I know that you're mad-"

"You promised that you wouldn't forget about me," he said. "I just wanted to know you were okay."

"I didn't forget about you, Percy. I have an explanation, but you might not like it," I warned him.

"Humor me," he said.

"Charlie and I have been... together. That and my apprenticeship and Romanian lessons have been taking up all of my time. The first time that I went to write, Charlie interrupted. Then, I spent the night talking to a dragon. And then I had a Romanian lesson. And then I had to watch someone get their arm magically reattached. And then your brother boned me-"

"Merlin, alright," Percy relented with a laugh. "Alright."

"I'm so sorry, Perce. You're my best friend and I promise that I didn't forget to write. I just couldn't find the time. But, from now on, I'm trying to be a better person, so if I have to turn down some dick" -Percy smacked my arm- "I'll turn it down and write!"

"You have no shame, do you?" he asked as I hugged him tightly.

"Not even a little bit."

"I hate you," he laughed into the hug.

"I love you too."

Oh wow we've gone full circle with Percy hehe

main plot: fluffy

sub-plot: charlie and y/n

there is only one more chapter after this one, my loves!