Chapter 6: The Escort

"Miss Y/L/N, I am extremely satisfied with your performance these past two weeks," McGonagall said from behind her desk. "Your grades have improved exponentially."

"You can thank Percy for that," I said. "He's been extremely helpful."

"I do not doubt that Percy was a helpful contribution; that much is evident to me, but I ask that you do not get in the habit of amounting all of your success to others. Percy was always there. It's your effort that's paying off."

"I suppose so," I said. "I think that I could get on without Percy once I'm caught up."

"That is one of our hopes. As you progress, you should be able to teach yourself and attend regular classes."

"I was wondering if, after break, I could go back to regular classes."

"If you believe yourself ready," McGonagall said with a nod. "Have you been looking into any locations abroad yet?"

"Well, not really. I'm attempting to find a place that will help me, but I don't know what I want to be."

"I have always found you to have a high aptitude for Transfiguration," McGonagall said. "Perhaps you could utilize that skill set. You have the attention to detail that is required for success."

"I have been looking into Healing," I admitted, "but I don't know how to go about it."

"Ah, Healing. A very practical career," she said. "Well, I would be happy to help you with whatever I can."

"I just don't know how to go about it."

"Well, like with most jobs, you'll need your seven years of magical education. Then, you'd need to apprentice for three years, less if you really work for it. How about this: I'll look through your options for sites abroad and I'll see what opportunities you have."

"That would be amazing," I said. "Thank you so much, Professor."

"You are welcome. Now, I'll have a list for you within a week," she said. "If need be, I'll mail it to your house over the break."

"No," I interjected quickly. She looked at me questioningly. "It's just that I will be visiting the Burrow."

"I see. Then I will send the letter there."

"Thank you again," I said. "Have a nice afternoon."

"Yes, you too, Miss Y/L/N."

I quickly excused myself from McGonagall's office and rushed to my dormitory. As soon as I was safely inside, I pressed my back against the door. My heart pounded. I hated lying. I wiped my palms on my uniform skirt and ventured deeper into my room. I hadn't technically lied to McGonagall, but I certainly wasn't honest, not to anyone. It was a dangerous game for someone like me, someone who valued candor, to lie but I had already dug myself into a hole.

I hadn't been thinking clearly when I forged my mother's signature. I was upset and I made a rash decision that was looming behind me, constantly threatening to consume me. I let out a deep breath and pulled my trunk from under my bed.

Break was to start in less than a week and I was beyond excited to get a small break from the stress of the scholarship program. I shoved my casual clothes into the suitcase, vouching to leave behind all of my uniforms.

***

"Percy, you have no idea how excited I am to go on break," I said and took my seat beside him on the Hogwarts Express.

"I could imagine. Listen, I know McGonagall wanted you to keep up with your studies over the break, but I'm thinking you need a little rest," Percy said.