Chapter 7: A Home Away from Home

"Mum! They're here!" Charlie called into the house as we all funneled through the door. The Burrow was as cozy as ever and the scent of cookies wafted through the air.

Mrs. Weasley rounded the corner with a bright smile on her face. She wiped her hands on her apron before she grabbed Ron's face in her hands. She pulled him down to her level and placed a kiss on his cheek before giving the same treatment to each of her children. I lingered by the doorway as the Weasley children milled about their home, all branching off with a plan in mind.

"Y/N," Mrs. Weasley said fondly, her hands resting on my shoulders. "I'm very glad to see you, dear."

"Thank you for letting me stay here," I said as she pulled me into a tight hug.

"It wouldn't be the same without you here, honey," she gushed. "Come on, now. All the others have run away already. Could you help me with dinner?"

"Of course," I said, "although you might have to guide me."

"Well, why don't you get your stuff upstairs and we'll go from there," she suggested. "I don't mind if you want to bunk with Percy."

"Thanks, Mrs. Weasley," I said with a grin before beginning the daunting task of pushing my trunk up the staircase.

I groaned when I heard someone coming down the stairs.

"Stairs are closed right now," I said as I pushed my trunk up another step.

"Let me help." It was Charlie again. Damn him. "Where're you headed?"

"Percy's room," I answered, gasping quietly when he tugged on the trunk from the top, making it virtually weightless for me.

"Really?" he asked astoundedly. "Should I get earplugs?"

"Merlin, Charlie!" I scolded before reconsidering and saying, "maybe if you don't want to hear us bickering like an old married couple."

He laughed, "what do you have in here?"

"Approximately seventy textbooks," I said as we made it to the second floor.

"You? With textbooks? I don't believe it," he said.

"Well, I screwed myself over earlier this year so I have to make up for it somehow," I said.

"Screwed yourself over?"

"Uh, yeah. I stopped going to classes a while back. Believe it or not, that's not good for the GPA. I had, like, a 26 average or something," I said like it wasn't a big deal.

"Damn, that's not great," he admitted. He rounded the corner into Percy's room. I could hear Percy fighting with the twins in their room. "Why'd you do that?" he asked teasingly.

"My dad died," I answered honestly.

"Oh, shit. I'm sorry," he said and his face dropped.

"It's alright," I dismissed. "Seriously, stop looking at me like that."

"I can't help it," he said.

"You're making it worse. You look like a wounded puppy," I whined. "Don't be like everyone else. I'm sick of people treating me differently because of this whole thing. Treat me normally."

"You mean, like flirt with you a little bit?"

"Well, I, uh," I stuttered.

He grinned at me. "You're blushing."

"You're blushing," I shot back. He laughed at me. "Whatever," I grumbled and changed the subject. "Think Percy will let me have the bed?"

"If not, I'd share mine."

"I've got to help your mother," I said quickly and squeezed by him.

"I can help," he said and followed after me as I scaled the stairs quickly.

"No, really, it's fine. We've got it under control," I assured him as I rounded the corner into the kitchen.

"Mum," he called, "need help?"

"Sure," she answered. "We could use some extra hands, right Y/N?"

"Right," I relented.

"See, I knew you wouldn't mind."

"If anything it's acquiescence."

"I'll take what I can get," he said and brushed past me. "What are we making, mum?"

"You two," she pointed at us with a spatula, "are peeling potatoes, please, and thank you. Charles, show Y/N to the knives, and wands away."

"No magic?" he asked.

"I barely trust you to use a knife with your hands. I don't need you getting distracted and taking a trip to St. Mungo's. Now, go on. I want dinner ready by 5."

Charlie raised his eyebrows but grabbed two knives and handed one to me. "I'm regretting offering assistance," he muttered to me. "I thought I'd be able to use magic, like, you know, a wizard," he said loud enough for Mrs. Weasley to hear.

"Oh, nevermind you! Just peel the potatoes!"

Charlie beckoned me over to the sink where a colander full of clean potatoes laid. He looked conspiratorily at his mother's back before he pulled out his wand and used magic to pull the trash can to us.

"Charles Weasley," she scolded, "put that away!"

Charlie grinned and tucked his wand into his jean pocket.

"Well, Miss Y/N, it appears as though we're going to be doing this the muggle way," he said with a sigh. "Want to race?"

"Charles!"

"Sorry, mum," he said and winked at me.

I grabbed a potato from the sink before I started peeling, hyperaware of Charlie's arm that kept brushing mine.

This was going to be a long break.

***

After dinner was done, I helped Mrs. Weasley clean the dishes, although it was mostly her cleaning and me talking. Mrs. Weasley was always apt to listen and it was well appreciated by me. It was nice to have someone pay attention to what I was saying besides Percy. I loved the guy, but he wasn't always the best confidant.

"I appreciate your help today, Y/N," Mrs. Weasley said and dried her hands on a dishtowel. "I think you'd be best settling down for the night."

"Okay. Thank you, Mrs. Weasley."

"Please, dear, call me Molly."

"I don't think I can," I said. "Doesn't feel right."

She laughed and pulled me into a hug. Her short arms wrapped tight around my waist and her chin rested on my shoulder. It was the first time I had been hugged in... I didn't even know how long. I sighed and leaned into her, inhaling her scent that smelled like... home.

have you guys read anne of green gables? By the way, after one more short chapters, they'll be anywhere from 2,000 to 4,000 words. I'm just setting everything up now!