Somebody Like That

"She has a really pretty friend that honestly reminds me of you. Her name is Tasha." Lars eyed his friend as he reversed. "Ethan are you telling me you've gone and swan dived into the chocolate pool?" Ethan laughed hysterically. "What the fuck is the chocolate pool?" Lars shrugged. "It means are you telling me your Anna is Black?" Ethan nodded with a smile. "Is that a problem?" Lars shook his head as he looked out the window. "No problem over here, bud. It should cause a few eyebrows to raise at the Crane Christmas Ball though." Ethan knew his best friend was right. It still astounded him the number of racists involved in businesses throughout Portland. He was once naïve and assumed the South had a monopoly on racism.

He couldn't help but envision someone saying or doing something to make Anna feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. His grip on the steering wheel got a bit tighter. Lars noticed and smirked. "You really like her." Ethan looked at him quickly. "What?" The light turned red so he slowed to a stop. "Anna. You really like her. I can tell cause you're getting worked up. I like this for you, E. You deserve someone that makes you happy." Ethan smiled at his best friend before taking off. "So, does this mean you'll no longer make fun of me for being single?" Lars nodded enthusiastically. "I can't wait to see your Mom's face when you tell her." Ethan scoffed. "Oh please like you're not going to run in there and scream it from the mountain tops." Lars laughed loudly. "I so am!"

They were pulling into the Crane estate when Ethan could see Lars unbuckling his seatbelt. Ethan had barely parked the car in the circular driveway when Lars ran into the manor. "Ivy! Ivy!" Lars yelled gleefully. "What is the matter, Lars?" Ivy Crane descended the stairs in a hurry just as Ethan walked in. "Ethan has a girlfriend. She's beautiful and her name is Anna." Ethan watched the emotions play out on his mother's face. Confusion. Shock. Hope. Happiness. Ivy let out a happy scream as she ran forward to squeeze her son. "What is all the yelling about?" Eliza said coming from the living room. "Your twin brother has a girlfriend." Eliza's eyes grew wide. "Are you fucking serious?! Finally!" Ivy pinched her daughter. "Language, Eliza Jane!" Eliza rolled her eyes before giving her brother a hug.

"Tell me everything," Ivy pressed pulling him into the house and towards the living room. "Hey Jo," Ethan waved at his sister-in-law who sat curled up with the family Labrador Retriever Piper. The dog's tail began wagging excessively the closer Ethan got. "Hey Pipes," Ethan smiled as she ran over to him and jumped. He gave her pets and scratches before taking a seat on the sofa. Piper jumped up and quickly climbed into his lap. "She knows I don't like her on the furniture, but climbs up on you every time you're here." Ivy chides with a smirk. "Yeah, because she knows she's technically not on the furniture when I'm carrying her." They chuckled as they watched the spoiled dog snuggle Ethan.

"I want all the details

"I want all the details. Dish!" Jo looked on confused. "What are we talking about?" Eliza smiled happily before handing her a bottle of water. "Big brother here finally has a girlfriend." Jo's face mimicked his mother's and it made Ethan wonder just how worried they were that he hadn't been in a relationship since Tiffany. He filled them in on almost all he knew about Anna and in no time they were happy, smitten and ready for a planned dinner.

"I was thinking since the Christmas Ball is next Saturday that we could do something during the week, so she can meet you three beforehand." Ethan knew Anna had to feel comfortable if people were going to buy what they were selling. "Dinner on Wednesday would be perfect. I can make my roast." Ivy clapped happily. "But wait, what about your father? Don't you want her to meet him too?" Ethan rubbed the back of his head. "She's already met him. She works for Crane Industries."

He wasn't sure how his mother would react. She was never a fan of the women working for their company that would throw themselves to him and Ezra, but Anna wasn't like that and he would make her see that. "I know what you're thinking, Mom and she's not like that. We met at a bar and I didn't even find out that she worked for us until last night. She's into me for me not for the money. I promise."

Ivy looked at her son and nodded. "I believe you. I know that you learned a lot from that stupid venture you had with Tiffany the trollop." Jo couldn't stifle her chuckle. "Yes, Mom, I learned a lot from that mistake of a relationship. Anna is a good one. You'll see." Ivy smiled before giving her son a kiss.

"Brunch will be ready in a few. You go say hi to your father. Eliza, Jo, come help me set up. Lars, go let Piper our for a bit." Ivy ordered as she sauntered over to the kitchen.