Breathe Me

It was supposed to be a gentle kiss. A kiss that Ethan equated to him marking his territory, but Anna's gasp had him deepening it. He knew Mr. Hugs A Lot was still looking, so he palmed her ass for good measure. The kiss was perfectly passionate and somehow reminded him of a happy memory he couldn't quite place.

Anna broke the kiss putting her hands on his chest as she tried to catch her breath. She looked deep in his eyes searching for something. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt you guys I just really missed my girlfriend." The guy looked between them in shock. "You're dating Ethan Crane?" He asked shocked, but Anna had yet to catch her breath. She simply nodded and smiled as Ethan wrapped his arm around her waist.

"And you are?" The light-skinned man that was shorter than Ethan looked up at him with a hint of anger in his eyes. "I'm Jamal Henderson." Ethan nodded as if he cared and then turned his attention back to Anna and then her desk. "Is this for me?" He pointed at the coffee. She smiled and nodded. He caressed her cheek before giving her a peck. "Thank you, pretty girl."

There was that nickname again that made her hot all over. They stared into each other's eyes and Ethan was wondering why this Jamal character was still present. Anna was so lost in his eyes she didn't read the awkward vibe Jamal was giving off. "Is it weird being in the office?" She whispered slightly looking at him. He shook his head as he whispered in her ear. "I had motivation to come in." She widened her eyes when he smiled down at her.

"Anna we should really get to that Jiffy project." Jamal spoke up fed up with the public displays of affection causing Ethan to chuckle. "You've got a little time before you actually have to start work." Ethan smiled as he grabbed his coffee and took her hand. "I want to speak to you in my office." He winked at Jamal as they made their way to his office.

He could see Jamal's nose flare and smiled. As soon as his office was closed Anna glared at him. "What was that about? We said no kissing!" Anna whispered. Ethan shook his head. "We said only when necessary and that was absolutely necessary. That guy likes you and I need him and everyone else in this company to know you're taken. That you're mine." The words did something to Anna, but she reminded herself this was all for show.

"First of all, Jamal does not like me." Ethan scoffed as he took a sip of his coffee. "Second of all, I have to work with these people. You knew I was already nervous about us coming out as a couple to them and you go and brand me in front of the entire office. This will spread throughout the building by lunch latest." Ethan could see Anna was getting upset and sighed. He had never meant to upset her or further stoke her anxieties.

"Come here." Ethan said getting up from leaning on his desk. He pulled her into a warm embrace that instantly soothed her. She didn't know how he did this. He disarmed her with the slightest touch. Ethan rubbed her back and placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head. "I'm sorry I didn't think to discuss my plan with you. I just wanted our relationship to get out to the masses before the Crane Christmas ball this Saturday."

Anna groaned as she tilted her head back. "I forgot about that damn thing." Ethan chuckled as he wrapped his arms around her waist. "You are going to be the belle of the ball." He lowered himself to look directly in her eyes. She waved him off before placing her hands on his chest. "You know everyone can see us in here, right?" Ethan smirked before kissing her nose. "I was banking on it."

She shook her head and moved out of his embrace. "I have to get to work, crazy man." He nodded and smiled. "Anna..." She looked back at him. "He most definitely likes you. He hasn't stopped watching us from the moment we walked away from your desk." Anna shook her head, but when she turned back around, she found Jamal staring at them pensively before looking away. Anna had never looked or thought of Jamal in a romantic manner. If anything, he was more like a talented big brother.

She sat down at her desk and noticed a few of her graphic design teammates looking at her. They were all men, so she knew what they were thinking and it angered her. "So, you and boss man." Jamal interjected. "He's not my boss, but yes we're together." Anna heard him mumble something, but couldn't make it out. "Is there a problem, Jamal?" Anna found her irritation rising with every glance from her so called team. "Just be careful. White men only date Black women for one reason and that's to fulfill a fetish. You deserve better than that."

Anna looked at him taken back. "You're half-White, Jamal." She could see his face turn red. "My father was just another White man in a sea of White men trying to get his fucking dick wet with the next piece of dark meat. Ethan Crane isn't any different." Anna leaned in to make sure he heard her loud and clear. "First of all, your father doesn't speak for all White men. Whatever he did to you or your mother is his folly not a stain for all Caucasian men to carry including yourself. Second of all, you don't know anything about Ethan Crane so keep his name out of your mouth. Third of all, do not curse in my presence. It's beneath even you."

Jamal looked at her shocked. The once quiet and demure young woman was replaced with a bold and brazen one that stood up for herself and her man. Anna turned back to her large desk happy there were dividers up so she didn't have to look at Jamal in her peripheral. She felt her phone vibrate and picked it up from her desk.

E: You okay? You look pretty upset.

A: ...just had to set Jamal straight on a few things...nothing to worry about.

E: Told you he liked you.

Anna rolled her eyes knowing he saw it and put her phone down.