1. Father Figure

Josephine's POV

"Josie?" A man says behind me and I immediately recognize the voice. I whip my head around really fast and see Hero standing in front of him, the man who used to be my father.

"Dad?" I ask and Hero turned his head really fast looking at me. He looks between me and my dad for a while and I stand up.

"Josie. It is really you." He says and takes a step toward me. I grab Hero's arm and he snaps out of his trance, stepping in front of me. My dad stops and gives Hero a death glare.

"Boy, you better move so that I can greet my daughter. You do it now." He threatens Hero and the two guys behind my dad step forward, backing up my father.

"Not a chance." Hero says and my fathers jaw clenches. "Boys." My dad says and the two men walk forward and try to move Hero but I move and stand in front of him.

"No." I say sternly and the men look down at me. "No." I say again and they look back at Steven. He nods his head once and they back off.

"So... I suppose by the way she protects you and you protect her, you're her boyfriend." He says and Hero"s nostrils flare.

"Yes dad. He is." I say trying to leave conversation to a minimum. My dad moves his hand out for a hand shake. Hero looks down and hesitantly shakes his hand.

"Well, why don't we sit down and talk for a little. Boys, go wait outside." He orders and the guys nod, walking out of the cafe.

"So, how long do we have?" My dad asks and Hero clenches his jaw. "Not long, Hero and I just wanted to grab something to eat before we head to London to see his parents. Our flight is in 30 minutes." I say, trying to make this go faster. I don't want to talk to him, or see his face anymore.

At my excuse, Hero turns his head looking at me, scrunching his eyebrows together in confusion. I look up at him with pleading eyes. "Well when will you be back? I'm only in town for about a week for business." He says and I try to think of something quick.

"We'll be gone for two weeks." I say and look away from him. "Well that's to bad, I wish you could stay longer. It's been almost 10 years since I last saw you." He says and Hero tenses beside me.

"Look dad, we really have to go. It was good to see you." I say and he nods at me with sad eyes. "Bye dad." I say and pull Hero along. He stops and holds out his hand.

"It was nice to meet you Mr. Langford." Hero says in a stern voice. My dad grabs Hero's hand and pulls him close, whispering something in his ear. He pushes Hero away and I can see that Hero is a little tense now. I pull Hero by the arm and out of the cafe.

We walk out to the car and I pull my keys out but he grabs them from my hands. "I'll drive." He mumbles and I look at him weird. What's his problem?

****

We're in the car, almost back to my place and he hasn't even said one word since we left the cafe. He's gripping the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles are turning white. I reach over and place my hand on his thigh and he looks down at it.

"What's wrong?" I ask and he shakes his head no. I huff and move my hand from his leg, looking out of the window.

"If you hurt her, in any possible way, I'll kill you." He mumbles and I turn my head to look at him. "What?" I ask him and he looks at me.

"That's what he said. He threatened me, if I hurt you in anyway, he'll kill me." He says and I gulp. "He isn't going to kill you Hero. You aren't going to hurt me." I say trying to ease his nerves.

"You don't k is that Jo. I've hurt you so much already. The dinner, your head, you and Sam." He says and looks debacle at the road.

"When I hurt my head, you didn't k is what you were doing. And me and Sam, that had nothing to do with you. That was all him. And the dinner, that was horrible, yes, but you were already dating someone. That was mostly my fault." I say and she grips the steering wheel even tighter.

I stay silent for a minute and I come with an idea. "What if we did?" I say and he looks at me confused. "What if we went to London for a couple of weeks." I say and he visibly relaxes.

"It would make our story more believable if we actually went." I rant and he looks at me, and tries to stop me but I keep going. "And it would be good to see Martha again, and I could meet Mercy, Titan, Your dad, and your friends. I mean-" I rush out, trying to give him as many reasons as possible. He cuts me off before I can finish. He presses his index finger on my lips and I notice that the car is parked outside of my building.

"Shhh..." He says and removes his finger. "I think... that it is an amazing idea. My mum misses you and Mercy is dying to meet you. Titan wants to know that our relationship actually exists because he told me that if I didn't get you, he would. He thinks you're gorgeous. I'll actually have to talk to him about that but..." He says and I smile at his words. "As far as my dad goes, he will live you just as much as my mum does." He says and I sigh in relief.

"Okay?" He asks and I nod. "Okay." I say and he gets out of the car. I get out too and I walk over to him, grabbing his hand. "Let's go pack then." He says and I nod again, smiling at him.

London here we come!

———————

Well guys, here's the first chapter of the second book. I'm really excited to be writing a second one. I hope you all enjoy this book.

Love you guys ❤️,
Afternator97.