SIX

lenora

"How'd it go, Alpha?"

I look up from the lukewarm mug and blink at Denver. He blows out a breath at my face.

"Not well, I'm guessing?" He pulls out the chair beside me to sit.

"It was fine. The rogue will be gone in six hours. Or less."

"Oh. Why do you look like someone died then?"

I bring the cold tea to my lips, sipping from it. Then I say, "My mate was there. She was with him. Friends I think."

"Your—what? Why isn't she here? Is she a rogue too?"

"Fortunately, no. She's human, though."

He blanches. "That'll be fun."

"You're telling me. She could sense the connection, though. Her eyes were latched onto my every move."

"And how did that make you feel?"

Smirking, I arch a brow at him. "You want me to go there?"

"I guess not," he says with a laugh. "So, what are you going to do to ensnare our human Luna?"

"Well . . . I overheard their conversation. They all work at a diner in town."

"Funny you say that. I've had a hankering for diner food lately." He stands up and bows politely, despite his shit-licking grin. "We can have a business meeting out for lunch tomorrow, can't we?"

"Right." I roll my eyes. "Goodnight, Beta."

"Goodnight, Alpha. Get some rest."

Half an hour after he leaves, I dump the cold tea down the sink and place the mug in the washer. I pad through the quiet pack house. Snores emanate from the rooms of unmated wolves living in the home.

I imagine my mate traipsing around these halls. In my mind, she's smiling and running from me, giggling. When I catch her, I scoop her up and carry her to our room.

My bones ache with need. I should have pulled her out of the house and stuffed her in the jeep.

The sound of her kissing that girl plays over and over in my ears. Her first kiss was taken right out from under me. My mind swirls blindly with jealousy. I want to rip that brunette bitch's throat out.

She didn't kiss her back, I remind myself. Surely that means something.

—(—)—

We're lying in a field. The grass is tall—as tall as my knees—and it billows around us. She's looking at the sky. Stretched on her back, her glittering eyes are fixated on fluffy white clouds sailing by. I can't tear my gaze from her. The flats of her cheeks are getting rosier by the minute. Her lips are permanently tilted up. Waves of her honey-colored tresses fans out around her.

This is heaven, I think.

I could spend eternity watching her. Just as the thought passes, she turns her face towards me. Her smile stretches further. The joy in the gesture fills her eyes, the creases in her forehead, and the dip of her chin. My hand automatically extends to her. I brush my fingers along her arm and feel a supreme sense of satisfaction when her eyelids flutter. Her pulse thrums like a hummingbird's.

Laughter sounds from nearby. My angel doesn't flinch or acknowledge it. I lean into my senses to discreetly sniff at the air. The laughter grows louder.

When I blink, the sunny sky has evaporated into the sterile white of my bedroom ceiling. I throw the covers off and sit up. A wave of sadness seats itself within me. She was so close. I have to find her.