2

I looked down at my plate while Julie stared at me, as if sizing me up. Everyone was silent, until Julie practically hissed at me. 'Why aren't you dressed up?' I looked up at her and she was glaring at me. 'This is one of the fanciest restaurants in town, and you show up like that?' I felt my face heat up as I looked at her tight silver dress and all the boys' suits compared to my leggings and sweater.

'Zana was in a bit of trouble, so she's just staying with us for the night. She didn't know we would be going out.' Josh said nicely, saving me, but it only made Julie more annoyed.

'You said I couldn't stay over because of the band.' She accused Josh, and he shrugged.

'I know, but Zana really needed somewhere to stay tonight. It's just this once, babe.' He kissed her cheek gently, and that seemed to cheer her up a bit. Pete cleared his throat and opened his menu.

'Shit, this is expensive. We all pay for ourselves?' He suggested, and everyone agreed. I opened my menu, and realised that even if I had brought my money, I wouldn't have had enough for anything. I sighed and closed it again.

'Something the matter?' Evan asked me quietly.

'I forgot my money.' I told him as the others engaged in a serious conversation about some band.

'Yeah, it's quite expensive, isn't it?' Evan asked, and I nodded. 'Bit above my budget, too. There's a McDonald's down the road, though...' I looked up at his smile and shrugged.

'That's more affordable.' He laughed and we stood up. Josh frowned at us.

'Where're ye going?'

'Macky D's. We're too cheap for this place.' Evan laughed, and I followed him out of the restaurant. We walked down the road a bit, and into a 24 hour McDonald's. We stood in the line, and he turned to me.

'What do you want?' I shrugged.

'I'm fine. I have no money.' I told him, and he shook his head.

'I know, I'll pay for you.'

'Oh no, really Evan, I'm-'

'I don't mind. Really. What do you want?' I smiled at him gratefully and looked up at the board.

'Um... A hamburger and twisty fries?' He nodded and ordered. We waited by the counter, then collected our food and went to find a table.

We sat at a table by the window, and I took a bit out of my hamburger. I hadn't noticed how hungry I was until now, I hadn't eaten since breakfast, and that was over ten hours ago. I ate it quickly, and munched down my fries before wiping my hands in my napkin. Evan was looking at me, one eyebrow raised with a smirk on his face. I blushed and bit my lip.

'So, how did you meet Josh?' He asked me when I had finished.

'Oh, it was only today. He... Sat beside me on a bench, and we just kinda started talking.' I shrugged and he nodded.

'What happened to get you in "trouble"?' I looked at the hand playing with my napkin and shrugged again.

'Oh, there was just a problem... It doesn't really matter.' He didn't look convinced, same as Josh, but didn't pry. I reached over and snatched his drink. He glared at me and I smirked, before taking a slurp. I winced and put it down, sliding it back over to him. He laughed.

'Don't like Coke?' I shook my head.

'No. You can actually feel it rot your teeth when you drink it... Bleh.' He chuckled and finished off his food. I dumped the rubbish in the bin, and we left.