5:8

"Wake up you lazy pigs!" Celeste woke up to the voice of Daphnes' loud voice. "You've slept long enough ladies!"

"Shut the hell up Greengrass," Pansy groaned, putting a pillow over her head.

Celeste looked over to see that it was six am. Cursing at Daphne in her head, she sat up knowing she wouldn't be able to fall asleep again. "Yes, Celeste! Good job being the first one up for the day! Come on, everyone follow her lead!" Daphne said excitedly, turning on all the lights in the room.

Slowly but surely, they all got ready and by seven-thirty then were out of their dorm and walking to the great hall.

"You know I promised myself that I wouldn't go back to Theo but oh my gosh he was so hot during the summer because he went to Italy with Blaise and got a tan and it was so good..." Daphne blabbed on about while they were walking inside the great hall.

They followed the Ravenclaws into the Great Hall, looking instinctively at the staff table as they entered. Professor Grubbly-Plank was chatting to Professor Sinistra, the Astronomy teacher, and Hagrid was once again conspicuous only by his absence. The enchanted ceiling above them echoed Celeste's mood; it was a miserable rain-cloud grey.

Snape moved along the table handing out the schedules.

"Look at today!" Theo groaned. "History of Magic, double Potions, Divination, and double Defense Against the Dark Arts ... Binns, Snape, Trelawney, and that Umbridge woman all in one day! And they changed around our classes! We have History of Magic with bloody Gryffindors now."

"Let's get out of here," Daphne whispered. "Luke and Draco are coming over."

Melody and Celeste nodded and stood up.

"Morning Celeste," Luke grinned as they passed.

"Morning Luke," she smiled back.

"Morning to you too," Daphne rolled her eyes.

"So are you going to tell us why you aren't friends with Draco anymore?" Daphne said as they made their way to History of Magic.

"He said something last year that I found rude and hurtful," Celeste said. "it's not important."

Melody and Daphne shared a look but did not press on.

***

History of Magic was by common consent the most boring subject ever devised by Wizard-kind. Professor Binns, their ghost teacher, had a wheezy, droning voice that was almost guaranteed to cause severe drowsiness within ten minutes, five in warm weather. He never varied the form of their lessons, but lectured them without pausing while they took notes, or rather, gazed sleepily into space. Celeste had so far managed to scrape passes in this subject only by copying Hermione and Melody's notes before exams; they alone seemed able to resist the soporific power of Binns's voice.

Today they suffered through three-quarters of an hour's droning on the subject of giant wars. Celeste heard just enough within the first ten minutes to appreciate dimly that in another teacher's hands this subject might have been mildly interesting, but then his brain disengaged, and she spent the remaining thirty-five minutes playing hangman on a corner of her parchment with Ron and Daphne, while Hermione and Melody shot them filthy looks out of the corner of her eye.

"How would it be," Hermione asked them coldly as they left the classroom for a break (Binns drifting away through the blackboard), "if I refused to lend you my notes this year?"

"We'd ask Melody for her notes," Celeste said.

"And if I refused?" Melody said.

"We'd fail our O.W.Ls," Ron said. "If you two want that on your conscience ..."