5:7

At last, the train began to slow down and they heard the usual racket up and down it as everybody scrambled to get their luggage and pets assembled, ready for departure. Ron and Hermione were supposed to supervise all this; they disappeared from the carriage again, leaving Harry and the others to look after Crookshanks and Pigwidgeon.

    "I'll carry that owl if you like," Luna said to Harry, reaching out for Pigwidgeon as Neville stowed Trevor carefully in an inside pocket.

     "Oh — er — thanks," Harry said, handing her the cage and hoisting Hedwig more securely into his arms.

    Celeste picked up Crookshanks as they shuffled out of the compartment feeling the first sting of the night air on their faces as they joined the crowd in the corridor. Slowly they moved toward the doors. Celeste could smell the pine trees that lined the path down to the lake.

     "Where's Hagrid?" Harry said out loud.

    "I don't know," Celeste said. "but we'd better get out of the way, we're blocking the door."

   "Oh yeah ..."

        Celeste looked around for Ron or Hermione but neither of them was anywhere near her, so she allowed herself to be shunted forward onto the dark rain-washed road outside Hogsmeade station

  "Where's Pig?" said Ron's voice, right behind Harry and Celeste.

    "That Luna girl was carrying him," Harry said, turning quickly. "Where d'you reckon —"

     "— Hagrid is? I dunno," Ron said, sounding worried. "He'd better be okay...."

   A short distance away, Draco Malfoy, followed by a small gang of cronies including Crabbe, Goyle, and Pansy Parkinson, was pushing some timid-looking second years out of the way so that they could get a coach to themselves and Melody behind them scolding them and giving the coaches to the second years.

      Seconds later Hermione emerged panting from the crowd.

     "Where's Crookshanks?"

"Right here," Celeste said, handing the squirming Crookshanks to her.  

     "Thanks," Hermione said, relieving Celeste of the cat. "Come on, let's get a carriage together before they all fill up. ..."

    "I haven't got Pig yet!" Ron said, but Hermione was already heading off toward the nearest unoccupied coach. Harry and Celeste remained behind with Ron.

    "What are those things, d'you reckon?" he asked Ron and Celeste, nodding at the horrible horses as the other students surged past them.

   "What things?" Ron asked.

"Those horses —"

      Luna appeared holding Pigwidgeon's cage in her arms; the tiny owl was twittering excitedly as usual.

    "Here you are," she said. "He's a sweet little owl, isn't he?"

     "Er ... yeah ... He's all right," Ron said gruffly. "Well, come on then, let's get in. ... what were you saying, Harry?"

     "I was saying, what are those horse things?" Harry said as he, Ron, Celeste, and Luna made for the carriage in which Hermione and Ginny were already sitting.

   "What horse things?"

    "The horse things pulling the carriages!" Harry said impatiently; they were, after all, about three feet from the nearest one; it was watching them with empty white eyes. Ron, however, gave Harry a perplexed look.