The Clash of the Dragons Chapter 2

• Dedicated to Anona Orban

Chapter 2:

That night, I didn't plan on getting any sleep.I kept thinking about the warning Raposa had given me.  Her voice had a ominous touch to it as she recited that warning,and it made me toss and turn just thinking about it. What were those things she had talked about? The Dracones Bellum had freaked me out a little. Then I realized what it meant.

It meant war dragons. I shivered in my blankets.

It was very cold around this time of year in the caverns, but that wasn't the reason I shivered. Drancones Bellum aren't something you want to mess around with, or you're basically asking for a death wish. I pushed it to the back of my mind, and focused on sleep.

I pulled myself off the floor and sat up, groggily. I had landed somewhere. I looked around and found myslef back in the golden chamber.

"Oh. You're awake. I was worried"

I knew that voice all too well.

"Raposa. Why did you bring me here?"

"You need to know more about the race of the Dracones Bellum. I worry about you."

"Why? Why do these concern me?"

"You are the one carrying the virtus lapidem inside your body. You know how many dragons want that stone of power? I wouldn't want to be the one chosen for this either, but it's a destiny you must accept."

"What if I refuse this?" I asked anyways.

"You will be killed by the Rikshay of the Dracones Bellum."

"Who is the Rikshay?"

"Rikshay long ago was my older cousin. He was arrogant and self-centered most of the time, but when he was kind to anyone, he was the most gentlest dragon alive. It was a tragedy that he resorted to un-dragon-like behavior when I was declared the one to breed the family hiers . "

"Like what?"

"Like trying to kill me on sight, so that the mission could be passed on to him."

"I bet that got tiresome after decades of it."

"Quite." she agreed.

"Oh, but he's long dead by now."

"Oh. How?"

"When he found out I was marrying Cabelo, he flew into such a rage, it consumed him, and he was never seen again. He left his wife and children abandoned and they created the members of the gens tenebrarum, or the race of darkness. They have more power over us, because of the full-dragon baseline."

"Well, that would convert anyone to darkness."

"Yes, but the bad thing is that they've been after the stone of power ever since it was implanted into my body when I was your age. The plan originally was for Rikshay and I to intermarry, as to keep the bloodline pure. But then I fell hard and fast for Cabelo, and that attraction took a different course that I had been told it would. When Rikshay dissapered, the place where he was last seen was named the Abyss. It's dangerously close to Mt. Corason, and we will be sucked into it eventually, but I never want it to be in that dark, dismal place."

"I can see why you wouldn't want it to sink into that filth." I started to feel pity for Raposa.

"That's why I've been talking to dragons when they came of age because I've been searching for my defender. Your friend Emerald would've been a potential defender, but she lacked the stone of power."

I tried not to take offense on behalf of my friend.

"But," continued Raposa," Once you wake up, everything you know will evaporate into what you will have to know for this ordeal."

I nodded solemnly.

"I understand what I need to do now, so I request to wake up."

"Very well. Good luck Sentanna."

"Bye."

I woke up in a cold sweat at around 3:00 in the morning.

I spent the next 30 minutes hyperventalating, my brain going in overdrive, and my blankets quivering in snyc to my quaking legs.

Something was coming, and I had to stop it before it killed us. Killed us all. 

But I was totally unprepared for what was going to happen when I got dressed and headed downstairs to the den, the cavern in which meetings are held, because my mother had told me to come down as soon as I was presentable. I came downstairs far earlier than my mother would've expected, but I wasn't the only one there. There, standing in a corner, was a boy.

I tried to stifle my suprise that came like a brick wall, and then walked over to a huge bookshelf and pulled a fat book that I had thumbed through multiple times out. I sat of one of the red couches and eagerly began to read, starting at one of my favorite chapters. All the while, I stole furtive glances at the mysterious boy that had come. His hair was ash-blond, and matted, it flopped into his colbalt blue eyes, and he brushed it away with a flair that said, "I'm a rich boy. do what I say, or face jail". I buried myself in my book when he glanced at me. Then my mother and father came down, and saw the boy there. "We didn't expect you to come so early."my father said. My mother nodded. Then, two other people showed themsleves into the room. A man and a woman, both looking like the boy who stood in front of me. "Ah, so you two have met, excellent."

The boy and I exchanged glances. Were we supposed to have met? I cocked an eyebrow and he did it too. I put my book down on an end table, and sat with my hands folded in my lap.

They all sat down, and then they did something I did not expect.

"You two are now engaged to be married."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did writing it. Comment and tell me your thoughts. =)