Chapter 6

I slammed the front door behind me and threw the keys onto the counter. I glanced at the grandfather clock in the hallway, the big hand just hitting half-past 2. I felt a sudden urge to cry.

Campbelle held up her hands jokily, "Woah, who pissed you off?"

I turned round, my eyes sparkling in the light as salty water brimmed my eyelids.

Campbelle rushed to me, engulfing me in a massive hug, "Hey, hey, I was joking, what's wrong, Megs? Is it George? Spill."

I traisped into the sitting room, closely followed by Campbelle, and curled up into a ball on the sofa, tucking my feet underneath me.

I looked Campbelle straight in her eyes, which were now full of sympathy, as my voice cracked, "He said I looked pretty."

The tears that threatened to fall were now dripping gracefully down my cheeks and nose one at a time - staining my cheeks with the mascara that they brought with them.

Campbelle shushed me, "Don't cry, don't cry, what's wrong with that?"

I wiped my damp cheeks with the back of my hand, still with a slight crack in my voice, "Because I know that someone like him would never go for someone like," I gulped, "Someone like me. It was just a joke to him. And now he's ruined any chance of us being friends."

Damn George Shelley. He'd ruined everything. It was all a joke to him. All of it. And it felt good to say it out loud.

Campbelle rested her head on my shoulder, "You can still be friends, Megs. And he wasn't lying about you looking hot," She nudged Megan playfully.

I forced a smile, "Thanks, Campby. I just don't think someone like me - someone pretty dorky, I mean - is meant to be with someone like him...romantically, you know?"

Campbelle's eyes narrowed and she eyed me curiously, "What's he done to get you all worked up about you guys being 'more than friends' missy? Did he make a move on you?!" She gasped.

I blushed. This was the only response Campbelle needed.

Campbelle's jaw dropped as she jumped up off the sofa, "Oh my God! He did, didn't he?!"

I tapped the side of her nose, "Maybe."

Campbelle started to pace up and down the room, her hand clasped to her mouth, "No. Friggin'. Way. This is unbelievable!"

I raised an eyebrow sarcastically, "Cheers for the vote of confidence."

Campbelle started giggling hysterically, "No no no, I didn't mean it like that! It's just...oh my God. My best friend and George Shelley...MY BEST FRIEND IS GOING TO MARRY GEORGE SHELLEY!" At this point she was jumping around like a mad person.

I facepalmed before getting up off the sofa, "Campby, you need to calm down, okay?" I laughed, "It was just a kiss."

Campbelle stopped fangirling at this as the realisation of what happened hit her. She sank back down onto the sofa slowly, her hand clasped to her chest with a depressed look on her face, "I can't believe you got to kiss the hotness that is George Shelley," She threw her head back in despair, "Why can't I be you?"

I giggled as Campbelle shot up off the sofa again, practically into my arms, "Was he a good kisser? Oh my God, I bet he was an amazing."

"Well, I don't have many people to compare him to but, yeah, I guess he was," I smiled to myself as I remembered what I felt with George.

This feeling must have be visible on my face because a sly smile crept across Campbelle's lips, "You're smitten."

I waved my hand dismissively, "No I'm not!"

"You are the smitten kitten, Megs. Look at you!"

My face turned serious now, "No, I'm not. We're just friends. And that's all we're ever gonna be."

Campbelle opened her mouth as if she was going to argue with this, but then snapped it shut, deciding not to voice her opinions any further and leave it there. Instead she changed the subject, "Well, I'm feeling quite tired so how about we finish this in the morning," She winked, "This isn't over."

I chuckled, "You go on up to my room, let me just turn off the lights down here."

Campbelle was making her way up the stairs when I felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. I pulled it out of my pocket and read the message that had popped up on the screen.

From: George

Hey Megan, it's me. I just wanted to apologise for my behaviour tonight. I'm really sorry if I pressured you into doing something you didn't want to do :( I hope we can still be friends because I really like you...as a friend, I mean :P You really did look gorgeous tonight ;) x

*George's POV*

I threw my phone up in the air and caught it again repeatedly as I waited anxiously for Megan to reply to my text. I needed to fix things with her if I was going to win this bet - forget the bet, I just wanted to fix things with her. I didn't want to lose her as a friend. I'd genuinely felt something with her when we kissed too. And that didn't alot - the kissing or the feelings.

When I heard my phone beep, I took a deep breath and opened the message that had appeared on the screen.

From: Megan

Don't worry about it, honestly. I want to be friends too :) And thank you...you didn't look to bad yourself ;) x

*Megan's POV*

I had deleted and re-typed that last line three times before I decided to send it. Is it too flirty? Yes. No. Defintely. No. Maybe. No. Oh, what the hell. I decided I was reading too much into it as I pressed the 'send' button. As I waited for George's reply, I chewed at my thumbnail, regretting my words, thinking that maybe that line would only confuse him. It wasn't long before I was put out of my misery.

From: George

Cheers, babe. I was wondering, do you maybe wanna do something tomorrow...with me? Just as friends, of course :) x

Babe? He'd called me babe. Why was that making my heartrate double? It didn't mean anything...did it?

*George's POV*

I'd called her babe. Was that too fast or? Yes. Probably. Most certainly. Oh great, now I'd scared her off. I only had to wait a few moments.

From: Megan

Sure, sounds fun :) x

I giggled to myself, "Yaay!" I quickly punched a reply into my iPhone.

*Megan's POV*

I smiled as I read the words that popped up on my screen, deciding that George was sweeter than I gave him credit for.

From: George

Yay! :D Can't wait :) I'll text you the details tomorrow. Night beautiful <3 x

*George's POV*

From: Megan

Me neither. Night night <3 x

I grinned at the heart that Megan had signed off with, before falling asleep with ideas swimming around in my mind of what to do with her the next day.