Chapter 3

"Settle down, class, settle down! We've got to start your Biology projects today," Miss Porter flails her arms around in an attempt to catch the attention of the excitable sixth formers.

Just as she manages to calm down the class, George Shelley pops his head round the door.

This results in an eruption of squeals from the girls, causing George to giggle as he says, "Sorry, am I in the right Biology class? I got a bit lost."

Miss Porter ushers George into the classroom, "Yes, yes, this is the right place, come on in dear GIRLS WILL YOU PLEASE BE QUIET!"

George bites his lip to stifle another giggle as the class slowly returns to its working state, with the odd whisper here and there.

As George's eyes scan the classroom for an empty seat, he comes across the empty seat next to me, which he slides into swiftly.

I stare down at my blank sheet of paper, trying to avoid eye contact with him. I feel incredibly awkward, although I have no idea why.

"Right class, time to pair you all up. To make this simple why don't you just go with the person next to you, okay?"

My head shoots up and meets numerous jealous glances, from the other girls, that are thrown my way. What's the big deal? If anything they should feel sorry for me, I can't imagine him being much help.

"I guess we're together then," George runs his fingers through his scruffy, brown hair.

"Yeah," I reply, not too sure what to say.

George giggles again as he sticks out his hand, "I'm George, by the way."

I can't help but smile at this as I place my hand in his and shake it, "Megan."

George grins, "Nice to meet you, Megan. Now, do you you have any idea what to do because I'm crap at Biology."

Great, just what I'd thought. Now I'll probably have to do the whole thing by myself.

I click my pen and bring the assignment sheet to my eye level, "Um, well it says that we have to put together a presentation on the importance of Darwin's theory in relation to the history and evolution of the human race."

George raises his eyebrows and says sarcastically, "Fascinating stuff, eh?"

I laugh at his lack of enthusiasm. He isn't too bad, I guess.

"So basically we've just got to research evolution and..." I glance at George, who is engrossed in reading a text message, and clearly hasn't heard a word I just said.

For some reason I find this really irritating, so I clear my throat and ask dryly, "Your girlfriend?"

George chuckles to himself, his eyes still fixated on the phone screen, "No, no, I don't have a girlfriend."

"Oh?" I ask with a tone of surprise in my voice, raising my eyebrows slightly.

"Yeah," George puts his phone in the front pocket of his chinos, "That was just Alice, my best friend."

I feel my cheeks turning red as I bite my lip, "Oh right. Sorry, I didn't mean to pry."

George shakes his head, "Don't worry, it's fine. I'm used to people presuming that I have a girlfriend."

I let out a low whistle, "Well, check you." There's the arrogance that I was expecting.

George slaps his forehead with his hand, "That made me sound like an arrogant prick, didn't it?"

I giggle, "Just a bit, yeah."

George laughs, "What if I invite you to the party Alice is having Friday night? It'll give me a chance to prove to you that I'm not who I'm making myself out to be."

My brown eyes open wide in disbelief as I point to myself, "Me?"

George shrugs, "Yeah, why not? It'll be fun. You can meet some of my friends and I can meet some of yours," His mouth spreads into a warm smile.

I smile, "Sure."

George scribbles something down on a piece of paper, "Here's my number. Text me for the details,"

Had George Shelley just invited to me to a party? What on earth was he on?

He winkes, "See you later."

And with that the bell rings. George speeds out of the classroom, leaving me to replay in my head what had just happened.