Chapter 10

A/N

Sorry this update has taken me so long. I thought I'd have plenty of time during the Christmas holidays, but I guess not.

As you can see, I recently updated my cover! I got so many lovely entries, but I think the one that I am using now emulates the story in the best way. This beautiful cover was created by @makethisonelast, go follow her and add her book Kissing in Cars. I am very excited to read it!

***

The final bell rings and students rush out of their desks, making beelines for the school doors. I make my way to my locker, weaving in and out of students and pack up, then wait for Caleb. He told me to wait for him here, where he would pick me up and take me home. 

My phone buzzes in my pocket with a new text. How do I work this thing again? As soon as I squint to look at the small screen in my hand, my head immediately protests. It's hard to concentrate through the intense pain shooting behind my eyes. The doctor's voice echoes in my head about staying off computers, cell phones, and television. However, this was an emergency situation as Caleb was nowhere to be seen. I manage to open the message - it's from someone named Brett.

Hey Belle, sorry to hear about the accident. Are you okay?

I reply, typing on the keyboard slowly.

Mostly. A little beat up, but I've been suffering from some memory loss. Thanks.

Another text. Where on earth is Caleb?

Wanna hang out? Keep you company?

Wait, does Brett know where Caleb is? I start walking out the doors while I reply,

Sounds good. Where?

Oh, I see you. Look to your right.

Following his instructions, I see a blond haired boy sitting across the courtyard, watching football practice currently happening on the school's field.

"Hi, Brett," I greet him, testing the name, sitting down on the bleachers one row down from him.

He smiles at me, and I turn so I'm sitting sideways, looking up at him. 

"Hey, Belle," he replies.

"So, have you seen Caleb?" I ask, nervously swallowing. My only lifeline for the forseeable future is absent without leave.

"Right there," he points to a tall player wearing a number 25 jersey over his bulky pads. I breathe a sigh of relief, though can't surpress the feeling like Caleb had somehow forgotten about me.

"Oh. I guess he didn't tell me he had practice. I was waiting for him," I say, frowning a little.

"Yeah every Friday."

"I guess I didn't get the memo."

"Hmm," he hums in reply. A long sigh comes from his lips as he shakes his head slightly. He mumbles something incoherent, something that sounds slightly bitter.

"What?" I ask, not taking my eyes off of Caleb, a red and white jersey bobbing around with the other jerseys on the budding green field.

"Nothing," he says, talking downwards at his feet. He pauses, looking up at me and smiling. "Don't worry about it, sunshine."

I had to fight the urge to ask Brett what he had said the rest of practice. It was strange to me that Caleb refused to let me out of his sight for the past couple weeks, yet forgot to mention to me that he had something as simple and routine as football practice.

You're just overreacting, Belle, I tell myself. He's probably had enough on his mind with your accident and the brain damage.

I push the thoughts racing through my mind away as Caleb and some of the team make their way back across the field, showered and changed. 

"Well," Brett says as he stands and grabs his backpack from beside him. "I'm off. See you around, Belle." He smiles and waves before jumping off the back of the bleachers. 

"Bye, crazy!" I laugh, waving after him.

Standing when Caleb nears the bleachers, I can see that he finally notices me and immediately looks down at his feet and mutters curses under his breath. He looks back up at me through his damp hair, his eyes trying to plead with me. I cross my arms over my chest, feeling all of the team's eyes land on me. Some of the boys whistled, some just stared or congratulated Caleb, clapping him on the back. Suddenly, I feel self conscious, here being the last place I want to be. I almost cried when my phone buzzed again in my pocket. Quickly fishing it out of my pocket, I read the screen. It's a message from Gwen.

Hey sweetie, just wondering if you're up for coffee? I miss you! xoxo Gwen

I quickly type back,

I would love to. :) Where?

Caleb walks up the bleachers awkwardly as another message arrives.

Have Caleb dearest drop you off at The Grind on 52nd after football practice. See you soon. :)

How did Gwen know about Caleb's football practice? Why am I feeling like I'm one step behind everyone lately?

Then I remember the accident and how damn frustrating it is that I can't remember hardly anything.

"Hey," Caleb says as he reaches me, his voice breaking through my thoughts. 

"You never mentioned that you had practice," I state quietly, looking down at the sun-faded red bleacher seats.

He lets out a shaky breath, looking anywhere but my face and cursing again. His feet move him forward a little, closing the distance between us. He lifts my chin so that my eyes meet his.

"I'm sorry I forgot about practice," he apologizes. "I had practices every Friday before the accident, too. It was just something we both knew...I know it's been hard, but one day you'll remember everything," he reassures me.

"You promise?" I ask, tears starting to prick my eyes.

"Promise." He replies, ducking his head down to look at me better. He leans in to kiss me gently, almost unsure if kissing me was a good idea or not. Pulling away, he moves his lips towards my ear.

"Ready to go home?" He asks quietly.

"Actually, Gwen asked me if I could have coffee with her," I smile. "Would you mind dropping me off?"

"But I wanted you all to myself!" He whines, hugging me tightly against his tall frame.

"You're just going to have to learn to share!" I counter, laughing.

"Alright, alright," He caves, kissing my neck. He pulls away, smiling. "Let's go."

***

I hope you liked it. :)

Until next update.