Chapter 5

Night falls faster than I expect, and before I know it, I'm exhausted. Caleb and I are the only ones up, watching the latest episode of Survivor, playing quietly on the TV.

"Caleb," I ask quietly.

"Mm?"

"Will you help me find my room?' I ask with a grimace. He laughs.

"It's not funny!" I exclaim, punching his arm.

"Ow!" he cries out in mock pain, using a couch cushion to shield himself from more hits.

"Please?" I plead, mustering up my best puppy dog eyes.

"Fine. No more punches, though," he shields himself again when I get up from the couch.

"Scout's honor,"I say while crossing my heart. He smiles and leads me down the hallway that joins the kitchen.

"Do you even know where you're going?" I ask teasingly, but he visibly tenses up at my words. Reaching the end of the hallway, he spins around suddenly and it's only then do I realize how close I was following him until he bumps right into me. Me breath hitches when I notice he's so close I can't even focus on him.

"Sorry," I murmur, trying to step back but his hands shoot out and grab my elbows, keeping me where I am. He stares deep into my eyes, and suddenly I feel extremely self-conscious.

"What?" I ask, just above a whisper.

He flashes that gorgeous half-smile.

"Nothing," he whispers, leaning in a teeny but closer before releasing me. I bite my lip, trying to fight back a blush.

"Here it is," he says, opening the door to his left and making a sweeping gesture. His seriousness makes me giggle.

The laughter dies in my mouth as I enter my room.

The twinkling fairy lights dimly light the lilac colored room, giving a whimsical feeling. The walls are covered in photographs of friends and past memories, ranging from blowing out candles to people wearing grass skirts and coconut bras.

"Wow," I breathe, taking in all the photos, but quickly wince when my gaze falls onto a pile of clothing in the corner of the room next tot the closet.

"Ehe...sorry about the mess?" I say, the apology coming out as a question. Caleb chuckles from behind me,

"Nothing compared to mine," he admits. Peeking out from underneath the pile is a Nerf gun. I smirk, turning to face him while backing up slowly. He keeps looking at all the photos adorning the wall while I make my way to the pile. I turn back around again and drop to my knees, pretending to clean up the pile.

"Belle, it's fine, really," Caleb says tiredly, and I can hear him coming up behind me. I bite back an idiotic smile.

"No it's not," I argue, and I feel him place a hand on my shoulder. I don't move until he steps closer and places his other hand on my other shoulder. My hand grips the gun, and I mentally count to three.

"Belle, are you o-" Caleb starts, but I whip around and pull him closer with one hand and press the gun to his chest with the other.

"Death by Nerf pellets?" I ask, smirking.

"You wouldn't," Caleb challenges, smirking back.

"Would I?" I quirk an eyebrow. Without taking my eyes off his, I point the gun a little lower, leaving his crotch vulnerable.

"Don't. You. Dare.," Caleb's eyes flash with panic.

"Alright," I relent, but once he relaxes, I push him backwards with my foot and open fire. He tries desperately to shield himself from the attack, but most of the pellets make contact. Suddenly, the gun jams, and now it's my turn to panic.

"A-ha!" Caleb whisper-shouts. "Now it's your turn for an attack!"

"No!" I moan into the laundry pile, dreading what may come next.

"Oh, yes!" Caleb says, and I can practically hear the grin slapped onto his face. I feel his hands wrap around my ankles and drag me backwards, and I claw at the carpet for dear life, trying to wriggle free.

"Where do you think you're going?" Caleb laughs evilly as he drags me closer. Suddenly, I'm violently flipped onto my back and Caleb straddles me, preventing me from getting away.

"I believe I win," he smirks. I sigh in defeat.

"Alright, alright. You win. Can you get off me now?" I relent.

"I could but-"

"Caleb."

He winks at me before rolling off of me and onto the floor next to me.

"You idiot," I start to laugh, but end up yawning instead. Caleb notices this too, and starts to get up, but I grab his arm loosely.

"Caleb?" I say, yawning again.

"Mhmm?"

"Will you stay with me?"

"Sure, Belle," he yawns.

He collapses down beside me and I feel his arm slip across my waist and his breathing steady before I drift off.