Chapter 3

The awkward silence is deafening.

Finally, Gwen takes a breath as if to say something, but Caleb cuts her off,

"Um...yeah. Yes we are, Belle. You love me, and I love you, Belle. So much."

He looks into my eyes while he says it. Across from him, Gwen gives him the death glare. I don't know who to believe, but Caleb is caring and gentle - not to mention attractive. I like him already.

"I can't do this," Gwen says exasperatedly and shakes her head, then gets up and leaves the room. Caleb sits down on the bed, next to me.

"She never really liked us dating," he explains, flashing his teeth with a gorgeous half-smile.

"Oh," is all I can say, smiling a little back.

Gosh, he's so close to me.

I hope he can't hear my heart crashing against my ribcage. Glancing over quickly, I notice the heart monitor tracking its erratic beats.

He looks down at his shoes and then back up at me with an intense gaze. I feel his hand slip into mine as he keeps his eyes locked on me and leans closer. I swear my heart is going to burst at the rate it's beating.

His lips meet mine softly and I melt into him. It's impossible for my heart to be beating this fast.

A loud beeping noise makes him pull away quickly in alarm. I glance again at the heart monitor, then turn a very bright shade of red. He just smiles to himself.

It's only then that I notice his features, I mean, really take him in. His broad and squared shoulders, and his chiseled face, inset with those dazzling eyes and smile. And his chocolate brown tousled hair, that clearly has had hands run through it.

How'd I get so lucky?

"Sorry," he laughs a little, running a hand through his hair.

"Caleb?" I ask.

"Hmm?"

"When I leave, will you take me home?'

His eyes look into mine, then he leans forward again and softly kisses my forehead.

"Sure," he answers, squeezing my hand a little and half-smiling at me.

The doorknob turns and the doctor slips through the door, clipboard in hand. Caleb gets up and stands beside my bed.

"I need to ask you some questions," he says while pulling over a rolling stool. He sits down and leafs through the papers. "Just to evaluate you." I nod my head, twisting to face him. He clicks his pen.

"Name?'

"Isabelle Vivian Evans," I recite.

"Birthday?"

"May...," my eyes widen considerably when I realize I can't remember my birthday. The room falls silent as I struggle to remember.

He finally scribbles something down after a fleeting look of concern.

After around ten minutes or so of one-sided questions, his diagnosis is that I can only remember names and faces.

When he leaves, tears spring to my eyes. I can't keep them from spilling onto my cheeks. Caleb reaches out and wipes them away, sitting down next to me again.

"Aw, Belle. What's wrong?" he asks, tilting my chin up gently with his fingers to look at him.

"I cant... Caleb, I can't even remember my birthday," I sob into my hands.

"Don't cry, Belle," he runs his hands up and down my shaking arms and back. Eventually, I can't cry anymore tears, and turn my soaked face up to look at him.

"Will you help me? To remember?" I ask shakily. His arms wrap around me and I lean into his chest.

"Of course I will," he says quietly into my ear.

***********************************

Hey guys :-)

Hopefully you like this! I'm not sure if I like it or not...

As always, feedback and critique are appreciated! :-)