Sneak Peek of Caught

It has been over a month since Luke and I have started dating. Every weekend, we would spend time going to each other's houses and read books or play chess games.

We both promised that even though we are officially a couple, we can still be friends and do what we usually do. This Valentine's Day, Luke surprised me by giving me three phone charms: a golden figure of Spencer Hastings, a Sherlock Holmes hat, and a Nancy Drew silhouette.

In return, I cooked a fancy meal for him then discussed about our dream colleges. While I was thinking about going to Princeton, Luke was thinking about going to Havard so he can start somewhere fresh and take criminology courses.

Unlike normal couples, we didn't like watching gushy romance stuff or do something stupid, like fighting, being overprotective, or breaking up over nothing. Although, we secretly did come up with pretty cool nicknames.

While Luke is obviously Sherlock Holmes, I am being called 'The Woman' or Irene Adler by Luke. Sometimes on Saturdays, we would watch reruns of the Pretty Little Liars on television while I order some pizza.

As I bit into the soft cheesy crust, Luke sit back on my sofa and flickered on a couple of channels with the remote. "The Great Gatsby prom is almost here," I said, after swallowing a bite of pizza.

"Did you know that it's a Girl's Choice?" Luke asked. I shook my head no then sipped on my water bottle. "Is it mandatory?" I asked. Luke shrugged then turned off the television.

"There's no way I'm going," he sighed. "I have a lot of things to do." I put my half eaten slice of pizza in the pizza box then stared at him. "Like what?" I asked curiously.

"I have to clean the lab," Luke explained. "I have to take care of Seth, and pretty much do everything." "Wow," I breathed. "Well, I have to study alot of subjects and figure out how to get some college credits."

"You have to study?" Luke asked in wonder. "I'm not going to any college unless my grades are perfect." "But your grades are already perfect," Luke persisted.

I crawled up to the couch then leaned on his shoulder. "I know," I sighed. "But Princeton is like Cloud Nine for me, I can't let school dances or distractions stop me."

Luke squeezed my shoulder very tightly then put his lips on my forehead. "Do what you have to do," Luke said. "Princeton is not going anywhere." I smiled then kissed his cheek. "Thanks Luke," I beamed.

I took my pizza out of the box then chewed it with delight. After lunch, Luke was hoping to do another rematch of chess. Just when I was about to say something, a cop car whirled past us.

After I devoured my pizza, I rose up from the sofa and peered through the window. Luke was eating the last remains from the pizza box.

Brushing my bangs away from my eyes, I gasped as the car parked at the school driveway. Something was wrong. Sensing my thoughts, Luke hastily booted his laptop then hacked into the servilance system.

"There is something you need to see," he replied in a worried tone. I immediately walked over to Luke and plopped down beside him.

On the laptop screen was the sheriff walking around the school building as if he was in a gold mine. What is he doing? I thought. Luke wrapped his arms around my shoulder then glared at the footage.

The sheriff peeked into the two front doors of the school then sighed. After looking at the empty parking lot, he realized his mistake then went back into his vehicle.

"Maybe he's looking for someone," Luke reassured. "In a school building? On a Saturday?" I asked. He rolled his eyes. "Something is definitely wrong," I murmured. Luke looked at me then at the screen.

"Cole," he replied. "Look." As soon as the sheriff got inside his car, the principal's car parked across the sheriff's. When the principal got out of the car, his expression was confused.

The principal calmly stepped out of his car then walked over to the sheriff. I couldn't hear their conversation. "What are they saying?" I asked. "The principal wants to know what was going on," Luke explained.

"The sheriff, who looks like he is constipated, tells him that one of our classmates has ran away." "Who?" I asked. Luke's face immediately turns pale as he stared at the footage.

"It's Kimberly," Luke said softly. I stared at in horror. Kimberly was one of Madison's best friends until she got jealous of her wealth and tried to sabotage her. "Why is he telling the principal when he could tell her parents-" I began.

"Her parents didn't know where she is," Luke interrupted. "They knew she goes to school on Saturdays to participate in some school activities, so they called the sheriff and see what he could find."

"Did he find anything?" I asked. "Judging by the way he looks," Luke sighed. "Not really." Closing the laptop, he rubbed his eyelids. "So much for relaxing," he moaned.

I nodded in agreement. "Should we get started?" I asked. "Maybe tomorrow," he suggested. "Right now, I just want to take a quick nap." I glared at him. "Can we solve the case?"

"Be patient," Luke reminded me again. "And besides, we can't expect someone to just knock on our door." Someone knocked on my door.

"What a coincidence," I muttered as I hurried to open the door. It was Kimberly's parents, standing in front of me. They both had red hair and green eyes. They wore black business clothes and speckled glasses. "Hello," I said politely.

Kimberly's mother looked at her husband then back at me. "If you want," I said. "You can come in." I shifted my body away from the door, and smiled. They reluctantly smiled back and entered into my home.

"This is a really nice house," Kimberly's father whistled. "Thank you sir," I said. "Would you like some tea or anything?" The parents both shook their heads.

Luke cleared the sofa then tossed the pizza box into the trash. As soon as the adults sat down, they waited for Luke to join us. Luke sat next to me then allowed Kimberly's father to speak.

"Forgive us," he chuckled. "This is the first time that we talked to professional investigators." "None taken," Luke smiled. "Have you heard anything about our daughter, Kimberly?" the mother asked.

"No ma'am," I answered. "We haven't." "Come to think of it," Luke added. "She did came to Stacy's wedding, you know before someone was murdered on the gazebo."

"Did you see the Kimberly-" the mother asked hopefully. We both shook our heads. Madison and Kimberly disappeared after the murder. "It's my fault," the father sighed. "I thought Madison and Kimberly were both very good friends.

"Now Madison stopped calling her, made fun of her.. I don't know what is going on." "Kimberly never opens up to us," the mother sighed. "We tried therapists, counseling, but things were a bit complicated."

"Like what?" I asked. I looked at Luke, who was quietly observing them. "Kimberly has been kicked out of two schools," the father explained. "Both for cutting classes."

"Do you two have any reason why she would run away?" Luke asked suddenly. They looked at Luke as if he was a coach roach. "We have given her everything she wanted," the mother protested. "We gave her designer bags, a new car, and shoes."

"Why would she want to run away from us?" The father leaned closer, flashing us worried eyes. "We want you two to find and bring back our Kimberly." "Okay," I said finally, shaking their hands. "We will take the case."