Chapter 18: Family Bonding

I smoothed my blue skirt and picked my salad with my fork. My grandparents were happily chatting with my parents. I stared at my dad, who was trying so hard not to laugh at my grandfather's jokes.

I stared at my plate of sliced turkey, tomato, and lettuce then grimaced. Grandma noticed my behavior and tried to lighten the mood.

"I remember when I was your age," Grandma began. "I used to have crazy adventures with your grandfather. We played games like Cluedo and Go Fish."

Grandpa chuckled at that memory while Dad looks a bit confused. "What does Cluedo mean?" he asked. " 'I Play' " I replied coldly. "The word is Latin."

"I didn't know you speak Latin, Cole." Mom breathed in wonder. "Luke taught me the word," I explained with a shrug. "You two seem a bit close," Grandpa said. That's when my face starts to turn red.

"We aren't a thing," I muttered under my breath. "You two like to play detectives a lot, haven't you?" Dad asked. I nodded.

"I decided on becoming a private investigator or a detective," I explained. "Luke wants to be a forensic scientist, maybe a detective."

"And besides, it's not weird to try new things, right Dad?" Dad gave me a scolding look. "Haven't I already told you that I am sorry for what I said?" Dad sighed.

"And haven't I told you that you don't sound like you're sorry?" I snapped. My grandparents and mother looked at us from their plates. "In fact," I added. "I want to know how you got the money to pay your so called friend, Dennis."

"Dennis?" Grandmother repeated. "Are you saying that your father stole all the money for that scoundrel?" Grandpa asked. I stared at him for a moment.

"You knew Dennis?" I asked. Grandpa didn't say anything. "You knew that he wasn't Dad's cop friend?" I questioned. Mom dropped her fork and asked us what was going on.

Everyone ignored her. "How did you get the money, Dad?" I demanded. "From all those bets you lost at poker?" Mom glared at Dad. "You were playing Poker?" she asked. "Since when?"

"Since you two were still married," I answered. "I don't think Dad feels the same way for you, Stacy, or even Ellen." Dad swallowed hard then looked at me. "Cole," Grandma urged. "Be quiet."

"Or what?" I snapped. "Are you going to cry again or are you going to pay me to shut up about the affair?" Mom rose up from her seat. "What is going on with everyone?" she shrieked.

"Don't worry Mom," I reassured. "They will tell you everything." Grandpa swallowed a few gulps of whiskey then set it right next to him. "Willow," Dad began. "There is something I have to tell you."

"What?" Mom asked sharply. "I have stolen the money from you to pay for my debts." Mom stared at him in surprise. "You stole my savings for your stupid game? What about Stacy and Ellen, did you steal theirs, too?"

Dad merely nodded. "Before you can blame him, hear me out." "She doesn't have to," I said. "Grandpa and Grandma knew about Ellen's affair with Dad and they tried to bribe Ellen."

"Why?" Mom whimpered. "Because that cheating low life deserves a chance," Grandpa said. "I want him to love Stacy right-" "By bribing Ellen and harassing her on the phone?" Grandpa stared at me.

I glanced at Grandma, who was picking at her plate. "What about you Grandma, do you have something to say?" She only glanced at me with sad eyes and went back to her meal.

"Do you guys even know who the attacker is?" I asked simply. My family members stared at me. "What are you talking about?" Mom asked. "Stacy didn't drown, she was attacked in her bathroom."

"It wasn't me," Dad insisted. "I know," I sighed. "You were in a jail cell the time of the attack. So, it must either Grandpa or Grandma."

"Nicole Teri Porter!" Mom yelled. "That-" "There were bruises all over Stacy's shoulders," I interrupted. "Stacy even told me that she couldn't remember taking a bathtub or a shower."

Both of my grandparents looked at each other, but didn't say anything." "The attacker is extremely tall and wear Chanel No. 5 perfume. I don't know if it is a woman or a man playing dress up."

Grandma's eyes look as if they were about to tell me something. "But first things first," I continued. "Who exactly killed Ellen?" Mom took a deep breath and told us that she is going to get some asprin for her headache.

As soon as Mom left, Grandma, Grandpa, and Dad were sitting quietly on the leathery chairs. "Please don't do this to us," Grandma pleaded. "Unless you tell me the truth," I began slowly. "I won't stop playing bad cop."

Grandpa rubbed his eyes and reached for a bottle of his whiskey. "Fine," Grandma said. "Your grandfather and I knew about the affair and we tried to stop it."

"Not by bribing Ellen, but by trying to convince her that Lewis was engaged to Stacy." Grandpa drowned his bottle and set it besides Dad.

"We have tried many times, but she wouldn't listen." Grandpa added. "Do you guys have something to do about the torn family will?" I asked calmly. They take a good look at me.

"What family will-" Grandmother began. "Don't play dramatic," I interrupted. "You two were mentioning about the family will back at Stacy's. Did you actually know that the original family will, the one about Ellen was ripped?"

"Yes," the grandparents said in unsion. "That is because," Grandmother admitted. "I ripped the family will. Grandpa stared at his wife for a moment.

"Why?" he gasped. Grandma looked at him. "I never liked Stacy," Grandma admitted. "You and I both know that, especially Cole."

"I thought that Ellen should deserve a chance of finding a better man, so I copied the family will and handed it to her." Dad gasped while Grandpa shook his head.

"I can't believe you would do this," Grandpa said. "I married a sweet, understanding woman and now, I am married a ruthless witch." Grandma glared at him. "Before you can yell at him," I said slowly. "Tell me more."

"I gave it to Ellen, but she didn't want it or have nothing to do with it," Grandma continued. "I begged her to reconsider, but she just wouldn't take it. So, I ripped the copy and placed it in Stacy's room."

"Okay," I said, leaning forward. Now, we are getting somewhere. "What else do have you guys been hiding?" Just then, Dad rose up from his seat.

"This is getting tiresome," Dad groaned. "I am getting tired of hearing this from both of my parents and my daughter!" "Doesn't the truth set you free?" I asked in a taunting voice.

"Shut up!" Dad screamed. "Just shut up!" We all looked at Dad. He ran his fingers through his head. "I am just...tired, okay?" "Lewis," Grandpa said calmly. "Just relax, okay?" Dad reached into his pocket and pulled out a big pistol.

"No," he whimpered. "I am not going to be okay." Our eyes widened in shock. "Sit down!" Dad barked. We deliberately obeyed. He waved the gun at us. "Don't move!" he glowered.