Chapter 8: Confession

"Where were you after Ellen's body was found?" I asked. "I was in the house," Dad explained. "Liar," I snapped. "Because when I entered the house, no one was there."

Dad swallowed hard then looked at me. "I saw the footage of you yanking away the pen," I explained. "The pen that Stacy used to cut herself."

"Stacy was in pain," Dad sighed. "From the moment I saw her to the house been torn, I wanted to help Stacy as much as I can." "Did you know that Grandpa was helping Stacy with her money problem?" I asked.

"Yes," Dad said finally. "Your grandfather was giving her the money until the day that Ellen disappeared." "Ellen disappeared?" I repeated. Dad nodded. "Was this before or after you cheated on Mom?" I asked.

"It was after the affair," Dad admitted. "And I am terribly guilty for-" "Can you tell me what happened the day Ellen disappeared?" I interrupted.

"She was just the same when I saw her," Dad said. "She woke up as always, eat breakfast with us, and watering her flowers. But one day, as I got prepared for the wedding, Ellen stormed out for some reason."

"That's not what Stacy said," I mumbled. "If you think that Stacy was the one who killed Ellen, you are wrong." Dad argued. "Why?" I asked. "Because she's your pretty rich wife or because you are hiding something?"

Dad stared at me for a moment. "Stacy was right," he shot. "You are weird. Why can't you be a little bit more like a teenage girl than some...detective?" My heart snapped in two. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "And Grandfather was right as well," I shot back.

"About what?" Dad asked. "You are nothing but a self centered waste of time," I answered. "I should have never gone to that stupid wedding. Maybe Mom wouldn't be behind bars."

I marched out of the room until my dad grabbed me by the arm. "You should watch your mouth," Dad growled. "And you should watch yours," I growled back, yanking my arm away from me.

"Come back here!" he cried. I didn't answer him. When I heard his footsteps on the stairs, I stopped dead in my tracks. "What kind of Dad would say that?" I asked.

"You know that I have always wanted to have a job like yours." "I'm sorry that I have said that," Dad said. "It's just that you remind me of your mother."

I ignored this. "Shouldn't you go back to the witch?" I answered. "Yes," Dad said. "But I am going to take you in."

"What?" I cried. "If you think I am going to come with a liar like you then you are wrong!" "Again," Dad said. "I am sorry for saying those things to you."

"And you meant them," I added, feeling hurt. "Every. Little. Thing." "Cole," Dad begged. "Please forgive me." "No," I said. "I am very sorry for what I said to you," Dad pleaded. "Now, can you please come with me?"

I thought about it for a moment. "Alright," I said finally. "I'll come with you." Dad breathed in relief. "Thank you-" "Hold on," I interrupted. "I will stay in your house for two days. Only because, my mom is in prison."

"Okay," Dad agreed. "First of all," I continued. "I want you to be completely honest with me, especially your tacky girlfriend. Second, I don't want to be involved in your stupid charades."

"Young lady," Dad snarled. "I am your father-" "No, you're not." I snarled back. "You mean absolutely nothing to me. You're heartless as well as manipulative, so I don't trust you. Or Stacy."

Dad looked at me and swallowed a gulp. "Anything you want to add?" he asked. "I also want Luke to come with me," I added. "Just as soon as after we visit Mom in the police station."

"You are going to visit your mom?" Dad asked in surprise. "Isn't that what a person would do for a family?" I taunted. "You know, since you abandoned us."

Dad clamped his mouth shut and closed his eyes. At last, he opened his eyes then stared at me hard. "Fine," he said. "I'll drive." "No," I insisted. "I'll drive."

Dad raised his eyebrow. Not wanting to be the same room as him, I head out of the house and hopped in the driver's seat.

Luke came back and saw me in the car. He got in the car and sat besides me. "I thought that we were going to sleep," Luke said. "Change of plans," I shrugged.

When he was about to ask why, he saw my dad coming out of the house with a sullen look on his face. "I don't want to know," Luke replied.

As Dad sat on the backseat and buckled himself, he asked if I know what I was doing. "Yeah," I answered rudely. "Just remember to-" Dad began. I gave him a sharp look.

"Take your time," he said quickly. I started the car and slowly clenched the stick and put it in reverse. The car instantly sprang to life.

I maneuvered the car out of the driveway and onto the road. While I was driving, I glanced at my dad through the mirror and asked him some questions.

"How long have you known Ellen?" I asked. "Four years," Dad answered. "I met her and Stacy at Target. It was also where I first Stacy." "Is he lying?" I whispered. Luke shook his head.

"He isn't fidgeting," Luke whispered back. "And he's breathing normal." "Probably this wasn't his first time telling the truth," I replied. "What did Ellen do for a living?" Luke asked. "She was a writer for a book that she was doing," Dad answered. "I don't remember the -"

" 'Beauty and Destruction' ," Luke interrupted. "That was the title, right?" "Yeah," Dad answered. "How did you know?" "I am a fan of Mystery novels," Luke explained. "Was she successful?" I asked. Dad shook his head. "Her book didn't get any hits," Dad sighed. "Stacy thought it was a waste of time."

"Speaking of Stacy," Luke said. "Did she and Ellen had it out for each other?" "Yes," Dad answered. "One time, they were arguing about something in a family will." "Family will?" I repeated. " Before Stacy's parents died, they wrote a will, saying that if they passed away, then she will have everything."

"Did her parents know about Ellen?" I asked. "I don't really know," Dad answered. "Ellen did seem pretty upset." I looked at Luke. He shrugged in response. I stepped on the acceleration pedal until I saw a small police station right besides me.

"There it is," Luke said. Nodding, I turned the car to my right and parked the car in between the police vehicles.