Chapter 7: California Police

As soon as we drove to the police station, my cellphone buzzed. Picking up my phone, Luke hastily answered it. "Hello?" Luke asked. "Hello?" It was my grandmother. "Where are you kids, we're cutting some cake?"

"Sorry about that," I chuckled nervously. "Seth and Josh ate too much shrimp that they got a stomach ache. I'm driving them home." "Okay," grandmother said. "Are you sure that you are going to be alright?"

By the tone of her voice, she sounds like she was going to cry again. "Don't worry grandmother," I reassured. "Luke is there with me, along with Josh. We'll be fine."

"I'll save a couple of pieces for you kids," grandmother promised. "Thank you Grandma," I beamed. Luke hung up the phone and placed it in the cup holder.

I reached driver mirror and adjusted it. When I peered at the reflection, I saw something following us. "Luke," I said. "I think I saw something behind us."

Luke turned around and squinted. "I don't see anything." "Can you check again?" I asked. Luke cranned his neck and then shook his head. Suddenly, his eyes widened.

"Stop the car," Luke urged. I pressed my foot against the brake pedal. It woke Josh and Seth from their nap. "Why did we stop?" Josh asked.

"We'll be right back," I promised. "We're just going to find something." Luke and I got out of the car then closed the doors behind us. I shoved the keys into my purse and walked down the gnarled path with Luke.

A low hum came from the crickets hidden in the bushes. We both paused to get our phones and activated our flashlights. The comfort of the light felt so much better.

"Check on your left," Luke instructed. "I'll check on the right." I nodded in agreement. I shone the light in the shady bushes and trees.

That's when something flashed in my eyes. As I looked down, I saw the pen sitting on the damp ground. It's silky blue cover, feathery tip, and sharp point grabbed my attention. "Luke!" I cried. "I found the pen!" Luke rushed over to me and gasped.

I reached for my purse and put on white rubber gloves. "Be careful!" Luke cried. I groaned as I saw sharp thorns around it. But nonetheless, I stooped forward and took the pen.

Of course, the thorns scraped my legs, but it was worth it. "Here it is," I breathed. "We should take it to the police." "Wait," Luke said. "This isn't no ordinary pen."

I studied it and looked back up at Luke. "Is this the pen that my dad tossed away? The pen that Stacy used to cut herself?" "Only one way to find out," Luke said, reaching into his pocket.

He pulled out the fancy tablecloth and pressed it against the trunk. I scribbled the pen on the tablecloth, allowing the ink to settle on the fabric.

Instead of ink, it was crimson liquid staining the cloth. This must be Stacy's blood. "We have to show this to the police!" I cried. "Alright," Luke said. "Let's go back to the car."

We walked back to the car, finding Josh and Seth asleep in the car seat. As we boarded the car, I started the car and continued our trail. Meanwhile, I keep seeing someone or something on the rear view window.

Who is this person? And why does he, she, or it keeps following me? "Hey Cole," Luke said. "Are you okay?" "My mother is in prison, Stacy's being a total pain, the wedding ceremony is over, and the worst part is, we don't know who the killer is." I said annoyed. "Anything to add?"

"I can't believe I convince to come," I sighed. "You're better off-" "Spending time alone?" Luke finished. "Doing absolutely nothing? Being with my parents who barely look at me in the eye?"

"It's better than meeting my cheating dad," I retorted. "Cole," Luke sighed. "We'll find the killer and solve the mystery." "But what if Mom is the killer?" I asked softly. "What if-"

Luke placed my hand on my shoulder. "Just relax," he reassured. "After we head to the police station, get some rest." "I'll give you the pen," I sniffed. Luke took a folded bag from the compartment and opened it.

Using my right hand, I dropped the pen in the bag and rested it against the wheel. Luke tucked the plastic bag into his pocket then closed his eyes.

The next day arrived as I was almost in San Francisco, my eyes were still tired from the lack of sleep. When I glanced at the tank, I groaned. It was almost empty, but luckily I spotted a gas station to the right of me.

I turned the car to my destination and fished out my credit card out of my purse. I pushed the card into the slot and placed the nozzle into the compartment.

Luke, Seth, and Josh woke up from their sleep and winced at the lights. "What time is it?" Seth asked. "Seven o'clock," I replied. "A.M. or P.M. ?" Josh asked. "You tell me," I retorted. "Luke, there's Dunkin' Doughnuts. Can you buy us some breakfast?"

He nodded and walked out of the car. After I filled the car with gas, I sighed in relief. Seth and Josh wiped their eyes and yawned. "Are we there yet?" Seth asked. "Almost," I said. "Be patient."

Luke came back with four bags of breakfast. He tossed two bags at Seth and Josh, who caught them eagerly, then gave one to me. I smiled and took the bag.

Eventually, our breakfast has been devoured and it was time to drive home. Thanks to the coffee, I had a lot of energy. I turned the ignition and drove until we reached home.

"This is where you live?" Josh asked. I nodded. "I don't want to answer anymore questions," I said. " I just want to go home, take a shower, and go to bed."

"Same," Luke agreed. "I'll take Seth and Josh to their moms." "We'll go to the police station as soon as we rest up." I said. "See you later." "You too," Luke said back. Seth and Josh made kissy faces at us.

Luke groaned at this. I slid the keys into the lock and opened it. As I strode two steps, I breathed in the smell of vanilla. It felt good to be home.

I ran up the stairs, took a long hot shower,  put on my blouse, and long jeans. Just when I was about to collapse on the bed, until someone crept up on me.

I screamed and jumped back. It was my father, trying to calm me down. He wore a red t-shirt and blue jeans. "Dad!" I screamed. "What are you doing here? Did you follow me or something?" "Just calm down and listen," he said. "Are you the one who followed me?" I demanded. "Yes or No?"

Dad took a deep breath then nodded. "Yes," he answered with a sigh. "It was me." "Why?" I asked. "Because I wanted to know the truth," Dad answered. "The real reason why you left the wedding."

"Really?" I snorted. "I was just about to ask you the same thing."