Chapter 14: Discovery

After putting the files away neatly into the archives, I  changed back into my casual clothes in the bathroom. As soon as I came out, I dug into the drawers and searched for Dennis' file.

One by one, I skimmed my finger against the rugged tips of the grayish blue folders. When I found Dennis' file, I smiled the yanked it out of the cabinet.

I opened the file and squinted at the words. Born in Brooklyn, Dennis has two parents, who were both neglectful and abusive. At the age of fourteen, he ran away from his home, but was caught and placed in numerous foster homes.

Almost none of his records explained a bit more about his foster life, except one paragraph. When he was seventeen, his foster mother was out of the house to get some groceries, leaving him alone to do his chores.

Dennis was cleaning the floor when his foster showed up in his midst, holding a bottle of chemicals. What was Dennis' father doing with a bottle of chemicals? I wondered.

One neighbor reported that there was a lot of commotion in the house, yelling until it broke into huge scream. As soon as the police came, Dennis was covering his eyes and his foster father ran out of the door, dropping the bottle of chemicals.

It didn't say what happens next. When Dennis got older, he began a life of crime, stealing jewelry, banks, and cars. Using the money that he spent, Dennis opened a pub very far from the police station.

I raised my eyebrow in confusion. There was something a bit off about his file. Starting with, why is the police not involved in this case? Something that Luke said invaded my thoughts.

"Don't trust people, friendly or non-friendly." Based on my discovery, it seems like this should be on the news or possibly the newspaper. My other discovery was maybe someone paid the news reporter or the police to change the story, but who?

Sighing, I placed the file back where air found it and closed the drawer. Grabbing the keys on the brown desk, I walked to the door and closed it behind me.

In case that someone needs them, I dropped the keys into the box and closed it shut. I lifted my police cap off of my head and saw Dennis in the alley, trying to lit his cigarette. Quietly, I shoved the costume into my backpack then hid behind the trashcan.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed with anticipation. It was a text from Mom, asking me what I would like for dinner? "Just chicken salad," I responded. Satisfied with my text, I pushed Send and slipped the phone back into my jeans pocket.

Dennis blew out his smoke and turned his heel. The next thing I knew, he tossed his cigarette into the floor and trudged away. I curled my nose in disgust. At least he could do is toss it in the trash or something.

Sighing, I reached for my phone and texted Luke, telling him that I will be investigating my dad later than I had thought. After pressing Send, I slipped the phone  into my pocket and followed Dennis' trail.

Walking to an alley was like walking into a battlefield. Bits of glass showered across the floor, bags of trash were occupied by rats, and the worst part, an awful smell coming from fire escape.

Dennis took big huge steps then stopped on a black metal door. He banged on the door two times then waited patiently. The door automatically slid open. Checking his surroundings, he shifted his foot into the entrance and shut the door behind him.

Smiling to myself, I crept up to the door and open it to a tiny crack. Maybe I could ask him a couple of questions, regarding my dad. For a moment, I frowned.

I wouldn't think it would be something that Luke would do. He did tell me to hold my horses and be smart about it. I shut the door in front of me and sighed.

Although no one is occupying the door, someone could give out my location to Dennis. There must be another way in the room. After walking out of the alley, I surveyed around the area. This structure has been spray painted in graffiti and look as if it was a hundred years old building.

I immediately dialed Luke's number and held the phone to my ear. On the other end, I could hear someone sighing on the speaker. It was Luke. "Cole," he whispered. "I am in the middle of reading Ellen's file." "I know," I insisted. "But can you look at some blueprints as soon as you are finished?"

"Okay," he said. "How come?" "I want to see if there is another entrance to Dennis' bar," I explained. "You found out who Dennis is?" Luke asked. I told him the whole thing.

"Let me guess," he said. "Is the building covered in graffiti and has a metal door almost a bit to the left?" "Yeah," I answered. "How did you know?"

"My dad designs buildings," Luke answered.  "The old building you are seeing right now used to be an arcade until a terrible fire destroyed it. Someone later hired him to rebuild the place to its former glory."

"Who was the person?" I asked. "No one knows," Luke said. "Dad talked to him on the phone. The weirdest part was that the guy paid him triple to build it."

"Maybe it was Dennis," I suggested. "How can that guy be rich?" Luke asked. "Didn't you say he stole all that money, and no one pinned it on him?" Suddenly, I heard footsteps.

"Dr. Lincoln," a woman's voice said. "Are you finished with your work?" "Not-" Luke began. "There is someone in room 13," the woman interrupted. "She's not doing well."

Stacy? I thought. "I'll be on the way," Luke promised. As soon as the woman left, Luke told me the hidden entrance and wished me good luck. He hastily hung up the phone.

After stuffing the phone into my pocket, I rested  my hand on the reddish-brown bricks then pressed it with my thumb. I gave it a few tries until something cracked on the surface.

As it turns out, the small slab of brick, that was lingering down my kneecaps, tipped over and fell on its backside. I checked behind me, hoping that I didn't catch anyone's attention. People were passing by, happily chatting with others or minding on their phones.

I breathed in relief then peered into the hole. It wasn't a hidden door, that I had expected but it was better than nothing. I took huge steps into the hole and embraced the piercing light.

Much to my surprise, the entrance led me to the girl's bathroom. I cringed at the smell. The foul odor smelled like a mixture of cigarettes and flowers.

The toilet was stained grey with dirty bubblegum and something brown that was dribbling in the toilet water. And the worst part was the bathroom stall was covered in graffiti.

I tried the door to the stall until I heard something coming from the entrance.