Chapter 10: Dinner

"To Stacy's house," I explained. "Alright," Dad replied. "Let's go." Sighing, I started the car continued heading straight. During the trip back to Stacy's, Dad cleared his throat.

"What do you want?" I demanded. "A father and daughter talk," Dad answered. "Haven't I already told you?" I laughed bitterly. "You are not my father."

"Yes I am, Cole." Dad argued. "Fathers don't abandoned their families or call their daughters weird." I argued back. "I said I was sorry," Dad explained. "You didn't sound like it," I snapped.

Dad stared at Luke and asked of we were together. "Were you together with Ellen?" I asked. Dad raised his eyebrow.  "Who told you that?" he asked. "It was a joke," I lied. Dad lowered his eyebrow and began to chuckle.

As soon as I drove to Stacy's, Stacy appeared at the front door step of the house, waving at us. When I looked at the garden, it seemed like all the magic was gone.

There were only a couple of gardeners tending to the flowers. "Hi Cole," Stacy said. "Hello Luke." We smiled, but we didn't say anything. "How's the money problem going?" I asked.

Her smile had disappeared. "Going great," Stacy murmured. "I guess." As we entered the house, Stacy volunteered to make us lunch. "That's fine," I said. "I'm not hungry." "Neither am I," agreed Luke.

We left Dad and Stacy downstairs then hurried up the steps. We head down the corridor until Luke found Stacy's room in front of him.

We slowly crept on the floorboards, hoping that Stacy or Dad would hear something funny. I quietly opened the door and slipped through the crack.

Her bed was covered in jewelry, clothes, and handbags, her drawers and closet were both empty, and the weirdest part was there was something torn on the floor.

When I picked it up, I gasped. It was the family will that Stacy was talking about. As I pieced them together they spelled out the words. Dear Ellen, as soon as we pass away, I hereby grant you the contents of the house....  I couldn't make out the rest of the paper.

"Ellen was granted everything," I said. "Not Stacy." "No wonder they were both arguing about the family will." Luke rummaged through Stacy's desk until he found something unsettling.

"Cole," Luke began. "Come check this out." I nodded as I walked over to him. "This is another family will," he explained. "But this time, it didn't mention Ellen, it mention Stacy."

"What's going on?" I asked. Luke felt the texture of the paper with his fingers and gasped. "What is it?" I asked. "What is wrong?" "This paper is fake," Luke said. "That one on the floor was the original."

"How can you be so sure?" I asked. "The handwriting on this paper has sloppy cursive compared to the original." Luke explained. "On the original family will, the person is left-handed, and the other one is right-handed."

"Also," I added, pointing to the "family will" "There is wine spilt on the paper." "So it seems like this will was copied," Luke asked. "But by who?" "And where did Stacy get the money?" I asked.

"Maybe someone could have loaned it to her," Luke suggested. "But who?" I asked. Suddenly, Stacy opened the door and gave us a smug look.

"My room isn't a playground." Stacy sighed. "Come downstairs and eat." We both nodded then followed her into the Dining Room.

As I glanced at the table, there four plates filled with potato salad, biscuits, and strawberries. Dad sat next to Stacy right in front of us, while me and Luke sat next to each other.

Dad and Stacy devoured the potato salad while we just picked at our plates with a fork. Suddenly, I cleared my throat. "So Stacy," I began. "Where did you get the one million check from?"

Stacy stopped eating her meal and looked up to face me. "A friend from a book club meeting," she replied. Dad gave her a quizzical look.

"I thought you hate book clubs," Dad said. "Wow," I said, trying to be shocked. "Did she also tell you that she saw Mom in the book club meeting?" Stacy looked at her plate. Dad shook his head.

"Can we talk about something else?" Stacy asked. "Sure," Luke beamed. "Let's talk about how in the world you get your hands on the family will?" "And why did you copy?" I added.

"It was a long time ago," Stacy replied. "If you want, talk to the police or anyone." "Should we ask them why you tried to kill yourself?" Stacy and Dad glared at me.

"Cole," Dad snarled. "Eat your meal." "I thought we were going to be honest to each other, Dad." I reminded. "And if you don't want to open up, I'll be more than happy to talk to the police."

"Is that a threat?" Dad asked. I held up my phone and punched the number with my finger. Stacy's face turned pale. As soon as I was finished, I let the phone rang for an hour before someone picked it up.

"Hello officer," I said. "I think I have some information about-" "Alright!" Stacy blurted. "We'll tell you." "Never mind officer," I sighed. "I think I have forgot. I'll call you later."

After I hung up, I put my IPhone back into my pocket. "It all started before Ellen disappeared," Stacy explained. "We were arguing about the family will-" "We know," I interrupted. "Keep going."

"Anyway," Stacy continued. "While I was cleaning the attic, I saw a crumpled piece of paper. When I opened it, it was my family's will." "Where was Dad?" I asked. "I was tending to the lawn," Dad responded.

"I was so excited," Stacy said. "I ran downstairs to see Ellen, but when I got to her room and showed this to her, she grew jealous."

"Ellen grew jealous?" I repeated. "Or you grew jealous?" "What?" Stacy asked. "Don't play dumb, Kardashian," I snapped. "You were jealous of that Ellen has been granted everything in the house."

"That is not true," Stacy insisted. Luke opened a piece of paper and gave it to her. "You said that the paper was crumpled," Luke explained. "I don't see anything torn or ripped up...except the original will."

"This is the will," Stacy began. "If it was the will then why isn't this one left-handed?" Luke asked. "And why was there wine stain on it?" I asked.

"Your right," Stacy admitted. "I was jealous, but I didn't kill Ellen or ripped any will." "We believe you," I said. "Your backstabbing husband has something to do with her."

Dad scowled at me. "This is ridiculous," he sighed. "Why are you doing this Cole, to make me as a bad guy?" "Mostly," I admitted. "But also, I want to find out the truth."

"I hacked into your phone and heard something very interesting," Luke said. He reached for his phone and tapped a couple of buttons. Just then, Dad's voice came out of the speaker.

"Cole and Luke is looking into your death," the voice said. "I will handle them-" "No," Ellen cried. "I'll handle it." The tape lasted for a about five minutes. As soon it was finished, Stacy looked at Dad.

"Lewis," she sobbed. "Is this true?" "No," Dad blurted. "I love you." "I wouldn't  believe him if I were you," I said. "It was the same line he always said to Mom."

Stacy rose up from her seat and disappeared into her room. "Are you happy now?" Dad asked. "I don't know, you did had an affair with her," I said. "I didn't have an affair with-" Dad argued.

"Luke snapped the photo of the promise ring you gave to Ellen. It reminds me of the same ring you gave to Mom and Stacy." "Tell us the truth," Luke asked. "Did you stab Ellen?"

Dad took a deep breath then reluctantly  nodded.  "Yes," he said. "I did."