6) Family bonds

Since the Harry-Tyler incident, an entire week had gone by. I tried everything I could to hide from Harry, meeting him only when necessary like when serving him his food. I made sure I was busy every single second he was in the house and took long breaks when he was out for work.

This helped me avoid him.

The memory of his hand on my tit still made me blush.
The feel of that hand still lingered.

   But to him, I was just another woman he could toy with and toss away when bored. I was grateful to God that he hadn't done anything else other than the simple grope.

     Sunday.
My heart pumped with all the joy in the world. Finally, I could escape the hellhole and go home to unwind the week's stress and fatigue.

I had called my Mom a day earlier and asked her to make me her signature dish; spicy deep-fried chicken with some local herbs that only she could use to cook. No chicken could ever taste better than momma's.

    "Go get yourself something nice some-" I bit the hairband to free up my hands so they could gather my long hair in a ponytail.
   Once the hair was in place, I double-checked the entire outfit; simple buggy faded jeans, a white tank top, and a white pair of Jordans to complete it.
I looked fashionable, at least I did in my head.

My hand picked up my phone from the vanity table and I was ready to leave.

    Down the stairs, past the living room, and finally, at the door. I inhaled, calming my excitement. Last Sunday had been spent cleaning the house as per Harry's orders with the promise of giving me two days off in any chosen week.

   As my finger was being scanned, a manly voice that wasn't Harry's called out my name. "Nadine?"
   My hand froze, and so did my legs.

He was there. Tyler was in the house.

My feet turned to the source of the voice, only to catch Tyler by the kitchen door with a glass of apple juice in his hand. He wore a plain white T-shirt that would have looked so sexy on me, and his jeans almost matched mine.

  He grinned. "Wow! You look...cute."

Don't panic. Don't panic. It's only a compliment.

But dear gawd!
A perfect mortal like himself had complimented a mundane girl like myself. I wanted to grow a pair of wings and fly around like Cupid, shooting love arrows at Tyler so he could fall only for me for all eternity.

   "Thank you," I said with a slight blush.

Tyler smiled back sipping his juice slowly, eyes on me.

   "Um...so I...I'm gonna go."
This was a fickle attempt to rid myself of the crush that was slowly surfacing.
Leaving would do me some good.

   "Oh! Okay. See you tonight," the mortal god beamed, still at the doorway.

Tonight?

"Y-you you'll be here tonight?"

Tyler smiled nodding.

   "Spend the night...here?"

He nodded again, wearing a devilish grin that suited his looks.
But I never came back till the next day. Well, maybe I could make this one an exception.

    "Okay, Boss?!"

Tyler chuckled. "Just Tyler. I'm not your boss."

I smiled flattered. Why had I chosen Harry? Why oh why?

My heart sunk to my stomach as sadness whirled inside my chest. I had been too greedy to serve the most beloved bachelor, forgetting that looks were a small fraction of a person.
But, what was Tyler's personality?
  Maybe I could please him enough to make him grab me from Harry's reign!

--------------------------------

      "Mom! I'm home!" I yelled closing the door behind me.

The shoes came right off, she hated shoes in her adorable home. And I hated having to take them off every time I visited.
  The inviting aroma of chicken quickly arrested my nostrils, yanking me towards the kitchen like a puppet.
I followed, my taste buds starting to water.

   Aaah!
Coming home was always worth it.

I pushed in the door to give way to a vibrant kitchen. Mom was busy checking whatever was in the oven, whilst Nina and Pete were buzzing around, chopping and doing anything to help her.

  My body stopped to admire the unspoken love between the three. Love that was being shared equally amongst us without any favoritism. They were all working hard to welcome me home. A home I had given up my freedom for.

  Mom's small business didn't pay much. It would have been such a burden to have her rent a house, and pay the usual bills plus fees for my younger siblings. I never regretted giving up my freedom for them. They were my motivation. My anchors.

   I had faith that someday, I would find an opportunity to pay off the whole debt and go far away from the Fox family.

Tears filled my eyes.
A sweet ache rippled through my chest.
And a glad smile embedded itself on my lips.

     "Guys?"

Nina was the first to turn around. Her eyes widened as she made a small excited jump. "Nadine!"

    My siblings ran at me before throwing themselves in my embrace. "Gosh! I missed you idiots so much."

  "Language," Mom yelled reaching for whatever she was baking.

   "Sorry Mom."

Nina laughed, her eyes teary before smothering herself on me once again. "Please don't fail to come home again. I missed you so much."

I rubbed her back, hugging her just right enough to share our sisterly warmth.
  "I promise I'll try my best."

She sniffed on my top but I didn't mind. She was my only 'little' sister.
Yes, I had another sister, a damn gorgeous model living her best life in LA. She was my half-sister, Sophia, sired by my late father with another woman when he cheated on my Mom. She was only a year younger than me but was living large without any financial struggles. Unlike my miserable life which I was only paid through bonuses that went straight to my siblings' spendings.

   Sophia had it all.
Yet...she couldn't spare a penny to save us.
  We weren't strangers, no.

She used to spend a few holidays here in the house. Used to wear my dresses. Put on my makeup and even, steal the next-door boy I had once had a crush on.
   Whatever was mine, she took it without asking, but she ignored us when we were in dire need of her help.