Chapter 39 Doritos

:Ellana:

We step into the elevator.

Jack smiles at me. "Jet lag?"

I roll my eyes. "Duh."

He checks his watch while I press the button. "It's 3:00 right now, which means it's 11:00 back home."

"Well, I barely slept last night, so..."

"That's a lie! You were knocked out the entire time!"

I scoff. "Yeah, right. How would you know?"

"Meine Liebe, I was beside you, and your breathing is calmer when you sleep." (My love.)

"That's weird."

"You're weird."

"I'm not the one who monitors my breathing."

"Everybody's breathing is calmer when they sleep. It's not rocket science."

The doors open to the third floor.

"I disagree. Rocket science is difficult."

He leads me by the small of my back down the hall until we reach 358.

When he unlocks the door, I rush around the corner, into the bedroom, and plop onto the bed with Jack on my tail.

"What are you doing?"

The dream comes back into my memory. "What did you think of my dream?"

Jack stops right away and looks straight into my eyes. "Um... It was just a dream, wasn't it?"

"Well, yeah. But, when I told you about it, you got all stiff."

He breaths out a shaky breath and sets my stuff and his down, then walks to the coffee maker. "Don't know what you're talking about. It was just a dream. It didn't mean anything."

"Okay, you're right." I shrug. I'll let him get away with this. I just hope he knows I'm here if he needs to talk about whatever's bothering him.

He scratches his jaw. "So... what are we going to do? The meeting is tomorrow at 10:00, so I'm free until then..." He winks at me.

"I have something we could do. But first let me change, okay? It's hotter in Brazil then I thought it was."

He smirks. "Can-"

"You can't stay."

"Wouldn't be the first time I saw you naked."

"You're right. But, I want to go out."

He frowns and sighs. "Fine," he waves me off then leaves the room, closing the door.

I pick out my outfit and head into the kitchen once I'm dressed.

"Are you sure you are okay wearing that?" Jacks asks, his eyes darkening

I sigh. "Are you serious?"

"I'm fucking serious."

I groan. "I am wearing this. You're going to make me feel like a nun if I wear any more then this. I'll probably sweat in these pants."

He frowns. "Fine. I just think you're pants are a little tight."

"Oh my God. You are so annoying. I can't wear anything around you."

His eyes shoot to mine. "I wouldn't mind that. It's just an alpha's duty to make sure their mate's don't show too much skin."

My mouth is agape. "You're kidding, right? These are pants."

Tyler walks in. "It's fine, Ellie. Everybody gets a little overprotective, sometimes."

Jack glares at him. "You could at least knock. How'd you get in?"

I look at the ground.

"Ellie gave them to me."

"Are you serious? This guy doesn't know what privacy is," Jack whines.

"You don't either!" I say. "It's not my fault!"

"What's got your panties in a twist?" Jack asks.

Tyler pops a grape in his mouth and grins. "Yeah, Ellie. What's got your panties in a twist?"

Say it. I dare you to.

"Maybe I'm not wearing any," I say, and walk out.

***

"Let's go, Ellana," Jack pokes his head around the corner. He looks down at my hands. "How do you always get my phone?!"

I shrug. "You leave it laying around."

"Whatever. C'mon, we're leaving."

"Where are we going?" I stand up and head over to him.

"We're in Brasilia. Where do you want to go?"

"Uh, I don't really know." I stand up and let him lead me out of the hotel room and outside.

"I thought you did."

"I wanted to walk around, but I don't really know where to go."

He pulls me over to where he parked his Mustang.

"Hop in."

I do as he says.

On our drive to wherever we're going, we pass places like GEAP, Mercure, and such.

"How much longer?" I ask.

"Stop asking me!"

"Well, if you're not telling me where we're going, then I should be able to ask how long."

"We're almost there," Jack says, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"That's what you said last time!"

"Last time was one minute ago."

I frown. "Okay, then. Hurry up."

"I'm going over the speed limit. Calm down."

"Well, don't go over the speed limit," I warn. "The cops will come after you. It'll take even longer!" I groan and slump in my seat.

I feel his eyes on me.

I see him with my peripheral vision glancing at me every once and awhile.

"We're here," he says, turning.

I look up to see... two giant doritos?

"What is this?" I ask.

"It's Praça dos Tràs Poderes."

"I think it still looks like Doritos."

"I'm sorry? You what?"

"Nothing."