Chapter 1 Meeting Damon

:Ellana:

I check my phone. She should be here by now. Well, actually, the subway should. It's 3:06. She was supposed to be here at 3:00. Maybe I'm hallucinating. I'll ask somebody else the time. I look around.

"Um, excuse me?" I say to a middle-aged lady.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering what time it is."

She gives me a weird look before checking the clock on the wall about ten feet away. "It's 3:07."

I nod. "Thank you." Well, that was embarrassing. By the time I make it back to my original spot, I hear the train. Finally. I began to think that I got the wrong day, even though I just texted her an hour ago. The perks of anxiety. It's really just amazing.

The subway comes to a halt, and almost immediately people raise signs with names on them. I eagerly survey the crowd when people come spilling out. I didn't drive an hour to see nobody. She better have made it on in time. Or I was leaving without her. It was awful enough just standing here by myself.

I jump and screech when I feel hands on my back. I turn around, ready to smack who ever touched me. 

"Who dunnit?" Annie asks. 

And I hit her. "Annie! Don't scare me!"

She laughs. "I'm sorry!"

We hug each other, and laugh. C'mon. I haven't seen her in awhile.

"So, how's my best friend?" She asks, cheekily.

We wrap our arms around each other, to keep ourselves warm in the cold winter. 

"I'm... fine, I guess." I smile. "It's so weird."

"What's weird?"

I shake my head.

"Sis." Annabeth looks me in the eyes. "Don't even. We've been through crazy shit together. We stayed at a haunted jail for a night. You can tell me." Her facial expression is a dude.

"I dunno. I just feel like somebody's watching me at night."

"That is... not... what I expected. But! I fully support you."

We make our climb up the stairs in silence, then continue down the street.

"Are you for real, though? You actually think so?" she confirms.

"Yes."

She sighs and munches on her granola bar that came out of nowhere. "How many werewolf books have you been reading this year?"

Too many? "None." I push her. "Okay, maybe, like, one or two."

"...Or seven?"

I lean my head back in defeat. "You got me," I joke. "But, really. I legit feel like somebody's watching me."

"Maybe you've got a secret admirer." She takes another bite.

"Yeah, I wish."

"Hun, there are tons of men out there who love you."

"We don't got to the same college."

"Maybe not! But! I know Zeke likes you."

"Um, ew. Past tense..."

She rolls her eyes, but doesn't say anything else.

I look up at the bright sky, but no snow flakes are falling down. We walk past the library then Foodland, and I run up to the frost covered glass. And guess what? I draw a face on it. Yes, if I took a child check, I'd still be one. But, to defend myself, if Annie took a maturity test, she wouldn't pass.