PENDULUM

The Light Behind Your Eyes — My Chemical Romance

A semi ploughed through the small rental car. The wind shield imploded into thousands of glass slivers that cut into her skin, the car crumbled from the side of impact and the insides crushed together as the force pulled her in. Plastic showered over her head stood she found herself upsidedown suspended in the air only held in place by the seat belt.

The air bags finally went off, hitting her in the nose, snapping her head back, her breathing was slow and her heart was palpitating fast than it should be.

A tightness in her chest was identified as fear. The engine caught fire and left small flames across the road, Adeline said nothing, unbuckling her belt and rolling into her back. She felt her body beginning to slow, like it would in a fever dream.

That's when two bright headlights sped closer, screeching tires and another collision was heard, causing a domino effect of other cars to go flying towards the wreck.
Hitting her car a second time.

The pendulum began to swing back in time.

Back to where everything went wrong.

The pendulum swayed.

The first night, she was enchanted by the busied streets of the Beale Street Historic District... Adeline felt a certain comfort in the late hours of the evening because she could walk into the destination and be warmly welcomed with twenty seven acres of blinding neon lights and jived clubs.

The particular place that My Chemical Romance played in was one called ‘Hard Rock Cafe’. It was a chain restaurant with a high energy level on account of the growing line of MCR fans waiting for the show. She entered with them and was shouted at a few times when she brushed by them. Adeline turned to face the crowd and they all screamed recognizing she was the sister to Ray Toro.

A small wave occurred here and there, even a few accepted requests to tell him that ‘Cecilia, Angelina and Jennifer love you!’. But she couldn't stay longer, Frank guided her along- and by his mere existence- everyone went nuts.

It seemed like being a popular band would be ego boosting... so it was funny how modest they ended up being.

A tall brick building with a guitar sticking out of the side marked the eatery; she'd never been to the Hard Rock before, so she didn't have the slightest idea what to expect.

The pendulum swayed.

The band had gotten off the stage, sweat ridden and tired out. The makeshift stage was emptied with the guitars and drums and microphones. Screaming fans continued to linger in the space while a few walked outside into the alleyways to get their things signed.

Adeline went with them but pulled Mikey to the side.

“Could we talk?” she asked as they stood in the darkness of the vacant Hard Rock store attached to the cafe “I don't really think there's anything to talk about.” Mikey said, running his hand through his messed hair.

But there was so much. He just didn't want to say anything about it.

“I have a lot to talk to you about, this morning was a mess and I'm sorry things had to get to that point where we were so out of our minds...” Adeline trailed “... I just- you know that Gerard makes me happy,” uncomfortable with this, the bassist scratched the back of his neck “don't you?” she asked “Y-yeah. I do. It's just, like,” Mikey made a face at this “Gerard might totally want to be with you now but I'm telling you he doesn't... Gerard doesn't-” “Love me? Stop Mikey.”
“Look, if he makes you happy I won't get in the way. I won't even tell Ray. But I'm trusting you will eventually.” Mikey huffed. Adeline looked at him with an expression of seemingly immortalized gratitude that would forever burn into his head.