Chapter 6 : "The blind night"

Ela's pov :
Actually, it didn't take that much time, but it felt like hours had passed. Darkness was falling faster and midnight is getting closer while I helplessly stack books on the shelves, while my new, apparently not so smart friend is somewhere alone with a horse she doesn't know how to ride. Who knows what could have happened to her until now, such a smart one. And where is my brother, and that seems like a good question, he's been gone all day. The worst thing is that I couldn't do anything about it, Mrs. Maya keeps calling me to help her, she's slowly starting to drive me crazy.

"Could you get me those books on the left so I don't have to go down to get them please?" She called me for the thousandth time to add books to her while she was stacking them from a small ladder onto large shelves in one of the rooms. It was kind of a storage room so it was the perfect place for all those books.

"When do you think Endriguelle will return?" I asked her, handing her the book. I was genuinely interested in how she could be so relaxed while her child was out in the dark somewhere in this city that she doesn't know very well.

When she heard the question, her face immediately changed. She blushed and small drops of sweat started from the top of her forehead: "I'm sure she'll meet Randall and go home with your brother and him."

It was clearer to me. She figured she'd find her dad close to home. Now I started panicking inside myself even more. I couldn't be one hundred percent sure, but some feeling told me that there was no chance of her meeting him, especially on horseback.

Even Maya herself was not sure, let alone me. She didn't even know about the horse.

I started spinning around in a panic. There has to be some way I can help because this is not going to end well, at least I can be sure of that.

It seemed that Maya was looking straight at the books on the shelf, but something told me that she was looking at me with a small part of her eye when she asked me: "What is it, books went too heavy?"

"It's not that, but my hands are a little slippery, I'm going for a moment just to get a tissue." I looked at her for the last time and took a deep breath, preparing for what must happen quickly. I ran out of the small room as fast as I could and closed the huge and heavy door of the room. I turned the lock up locking Ms. Maya inside. I felt sorry for her, but this was the only way to escape from her.

I took a piece of paper and wrote a short note, just in case Maya finds a way out before I return: "I'm very sorry, this is for the good of all of us." That was the best I could came up with right now.

In a hurry, I took a small knife from one of the shelves, just in case.I ran out the front door. Behind me I could hear the soft sounds of screams behind the locked door, and in front of me was blackness, darkness and the unknown.

Endriguelle's pov :
I opened my eyes and there was pure darkness around me. I felt still warm blood pouring from my forehead.As I could have expected, there was no sign of my horse, he probably ran far into the forest. The sounds are strange, I can't recognize a single creature except maybe some bugs that were buzzing around me. I lay there for a while, but then I stood up suddenly when I remembered my bag. I sincerely hope that it is there somewhere, that at least I haven't lost everything. I was spinning around on the ground trying to find the bag and I couldn't even see my own finger in front of me. The ground was full of leaves and the sky and stars could not even be seen from the dense tree tops. Finally I felt something like my bag. A lot of leaves fell on it, so I hardly recognized it, but it is there but the book was missing. I don't have many options now, the first is to lie here until dawn waiting for someone to find me and the second is to lie here until something attacks me. However, I choose the third option. I got up and wiped the blood from my face and started towards the faint light that could be seen in the distance. I could barely keep my balance as I walked like a blind man who can't see anything in front of him and nothing below him. The bag was on my shoulder as I frantically searched for the way. I should have thought twice when I said that a house without light is the worst place to walk. I took a few steps when I heard a loud rustling around me. I didn't know what it was or where it came from. It was getting louder and louder as if it was getting closer to me. I didn't know where to go, so I started walking backwards to avoid an attack or whatever it was, but I tripped over a branch behind me and fell on my back. It was getting closer and closer to me. I fell in panic when I heard a familiar voice in front of me: "Lost something?"