Chapter 2 : "Burn"

Three years passed awfully fast.But here we are : "Good morning mum!" I said, running into the living room.I thought I was late for school, so I quickly grabbed my bag and rushed to the door.Before I could get the key, a terrafied whisper called my name: " Endriguelle come here!" It was my mother.I came running into the room, curious why would she call me and slow me down if I'm clearly late."What is it,I'm gonna be late fore school don't you see?"I asked still out of breath."Slow down, you're not going to school."She told me finally making me slow down."What?"I asked confused."Not gonna lie, this news made me much happier, but still..."What happend now?"I asked again, as usuall.

She took a deep breath before explaining,even though she wasn't really the one needing it.

"Well...you see,this place is no longer safe.We are moving to your grandfather's house since he's not there anymore," she said, knowing I wouldn't understand anything.

"Safe,what do you mean safe?"I started with my questions knowing I have a bunch of them.

"There's no need to explain.Nothing is going to change.We have to leave as fast as we can, so go pack your bags.We're leaving the moment your father comes back from work.Now go,quick before is too late!"She yelled with much more confidence.

Usually I wouldn't take no explanation as an answer to my questions, but this time it seemd like I should really listen to her.I went to my room and started packing my things, still deep in thoughts.I didn't like the idea of grandfather's house either.It is literally abandoned.We haven't been there since he went missing, around three years ago.But there's one good thing about it - I can search trought his old books and a bunch of weirdly - interesting stuff I know he had in his attic.That house is really big too, much bigger than ours.Maybe I'll find something that will give me answers to the mystery of his dissappearance.I haven't seen him since I was twelve.Neither my mum or my dad.I always loved exploring, so this acctually made me, if we can say happy at this point.Al of this happend so fast, like I don't understand any of it.But one thing that I do know is that I'm going to find answers to every single one of my questions - like I always do.I didn't have a lot tu pack, so it was really quick.
E

ven though I lived here as long as I can remember, my room was very small and didn't have a lot of stuff.There was just my bed and one weird wardrobe.It looked like there are two wardrobes
but was just one.It was old and big - too big for my clothes that is looked empty.As I packed, I closed it and put everything on my bed.If there's one thing I'going to miss the most about this house, it's gonna be this bed for sure.

The moment I lay down, my mum called me: " Endriguelle,come down, Astra came to talk to you!" She yelled while packing basically the whole house.

"Coming!" I responded curiously."How is she here,isn't she at school?"Astra was my best friend.We had a small group of friends that I'm probably gonna miss the most.Especially Astra.We always used to hang out and explore stories and legends we heard of.We were really similar at some point.

"Aren't you at school?" I askdd her.My face immediately changed emotions the second I saw her, knowing that this could be the last time I'm seeing her.

"No one's at school, didn't you hear?"She said terrafied and confused.

"Hear what?" I asked even more confused.

"The biggest explorer of the city didn't hear the news? You've got to be joking!" She tried to make a joke but her terrafied face coudn't allow her.

"Mum didn't want to explain anything to me.I just know that we have to move to my grandfather's house as fast as we can for some sort os safety." I spoke wery confused.

"What!? You're moving there?" She whispered looking very suprised."Didn't your grandfather.. dissapeared?" She asked knowing that's not something about I would like to be asked.

I nobbed sadly.

"No,no wait I'm sorry for asking that!" She said as she saw my face turning even more sad.

"It's okay.It is true,just like I told you.But don't change the topic, what is happening that I don't know about?" After I asked again she looked around, checking if my mum's looking, which was very weird honestly.

"What are you doing, explain!" I tried to make her talk.

"I don't think your mother wants you to know about this." She whispered, making sure my mum can't hear us.

"But why!?" I asked wery annoyed by now."

Because you're an explorer, you have to find out everything, and that's what she is terrified of,which is exactly why she's not telling you anything for the past few years." She spoke faster and faster, making me even more curious.

"W-what, how do YOU know that?" I asked in so much questions above my head.

"It's obvious!" She shouted nervously.There wasn't even time for her to start explaining.She stared at a mountain above our school, like she froze or something.

"Hellooo, Astraa!" I tried to get her attention, but she just stared at the mountain.

In the moment my mum came running to us, pulling me and Astra away from the house.

"Quick!! Run!!!"
All three of us ran far behind the house, trying to reach the lake near the woods.There were almost all of the citizens standing at the other side of the lake trying to hide behind rocks and covering their heads.I looked behind us for a second when I saw Astra's parents and brother running near us.

"Quick!!!" My mother yelled one more time, convincing us to run faster.At the moment we were near the bridge of the lake.Behind us we could hear falling and hitting sounds as the fire started.The whole school waa now deep in embers of fire such as almost every house in city.Astra ran to her family, happy to see them escaping.Now we are crossing the bridge.We did not like the sight of the neighbor's frightened faces.Thankfully, when we crossed, I saw my father behind one of the rocks.He escaped from work just in time and now we were all safe.Unfortunately, not everyone escaped. Some of them were still trapped in their houses. I couldn't even look at the burning city.The first thing I tought of is how much I want it to rain and stop this chaos. Every single house burned by now. I closed my eyes thinking of the great black clouds that would bring the rain.After I looked up at the sky, the weirdest thing happend. I could see the mix of black smoke and dark clouds moving incredibly fast by the wind.It was so powerful! I could feel raindrops falling on my head.It started slowly, but it was still bringing the hope to all of us.In almost no time the wind carried a big cloud of smoke away from us, showing the last signs of the fire.The crowd cheered happily, altough still saddened by the losses, of course.Two man and two woman offered to go check city, a couple of minutes after the rain stopped, to make sure it was safe enough and to see if there were still people alive in some of the houses. I wanted to go too, but of course no one let me. We left everything behind, and some of my friends could still be alive in those houses. But I know I can't do anything about it.