CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

chapter seventeen (xvi) : the plan

I now had little time to go forward with my plan. I ran down the hallway towards the kitchen pulling out salt and pepper from the cupboards. poured it in the hallway just before the front door to look like ash. I then took the rolling pin out the drawer and snapped it in half to look like a wooden steak before going in the hallway standing there.

I had to think of something to put the icing on the cake and that's when it came to my head. I cut the palm of my hand and brought blood to the surface before patting it up my arms and on the side of my face. I then put my hand on the floor running it towards the pile of ash to look like they'd 'struggled' before they disintegrated into ash. as you stood there the shouting and banging from outside got louder. i could hear them trying to bust the door in and even banging on the windows trying to get in. the blood splattered on the floor along with the salt made it look very convincing that they had struggled and died, even a blind man could believe it.

after finishing your arrangement you sat back and waited for the inevitable moment when the mob would finally enter the house. Instead of waiting for them all day I slowly opened the door and walked out covered in blood holding the wooden steak. I threw it in front of me and said 't-the vampires..there d-dead I killed then' I told them convincingly as tears fell down my cheeks. the mob stopped when they saw me, all of them staring at me with disgust and a mix of relief. the lead one stepped forward, slowly and cautiously, 'are you sure you are telling the truth, young lady?' he asked me, his tone was serious. 'T-take a look for yourself' I said cracking open the door slightly before shutting it again 'I-it's not a pretty sight in there..' I cried

the lead man stepped forward towards the door and slowly opened it, 'dont move young lady, just stay where you are we will check if this is real.' his head peeked into the door as he quickly looked around the room, his eyes widening when he saw the bloody scene, 'by the great heavens...it truly is true!' he was shocked at the scene, it was so convincing like it was actually real. 'I-i had to..' I whispered making it seem like I actually have killed them. 'of course you did, dear, your so brave and strong. your the one who killed these monsters that have been terrorizing our town for so long. they could have hurt and killed you yet you still had the courage to take them on by yourself.' he came up to you and knelt down so that you were at eye level 'i owe you a great debt, your going to be rewarded for this, you'll not just get the thanks of the village.'

'M-maybe another day..I think I need to be alone right now' I said wiping my tears. 'of course dear, you have been through so much already, you dont need to be thinking about all of that right now. lets get out of your way and you can get some rest, sound good dear?' he was being gentle with you, he could tell how traumatized you were and didnt want to push you anymore than he already did. 'That'll be great thankyou' I said watching as the towns people turned around to go back home.

they began to slowly depart, some glancing back at the house, unsure if what you told them was true or not, and some just walking back home now that the danger is gone. as the last person left the house was dead silent, you could hear a pin drop if you tried.

Once they had been gone at least five minutes I went back inside and shut and locked the door. I couldn't wait to see my family again it was almost as if I'd convinced myself that they were dead. As I approached the basement door I could hear pacing and muffled speech. I knocked on the door. as you knocked on the door you heard the muffled speech suddenly halt, followed by complete silence. then after a few moments of silence the door slowly crept open and papa poked his head outside, upon seeing you he looked stunned as he stared at you. I didn't have time to clean up so I was still covered in blood and there was still salt and pepper everywhere in the hallway

he was speechless for a few seconds before finally managing to say 'my god, i thought you were dead...are you okay?' before stepping forward to you 'you look like a mess...are you hurt anywhere?' he stepped forward and wiped his thumb across your face, trying to clean some of the blood from your face. 'My hands cut and I owe you salt and pepper but apart from that I'm all good' I smiled. he took you gently by the hand and took a good look at your hand and the wound, he looked concerned but also proud of you, you had really pulled off something that he never really thought you could do.

after a bit he started asking you questions 'how did they not hurt you, im surprised you were able to trick them like that, it was very believable.'. 'I'll talk about that when your all out and settled back down..w-where's sodo?' I asked looking around for him. he turned around and shouted towards the door 'come on out guys it's alright, it's safe there gone'. he then turned back around to me, 'hes been worried sick about you. he thought he was going to lose you forever. when you first left all hes done is pace around the room breathing heavily and shaking like a leaf, at one point he got tears in his eyes.'

after the last words they all came out, aether, rain, swiss and sodo. swiss had tears in his eyes while aether was trying his hardest not to show any emotion but failing, and sodo just had a look of concern and relief on his face as he hurried to you, his eyes glancing towards me.