Broken Sky

By anya_jayvyn

"It's you and me. Together," he says. "Us against the world." ***** All my life, I've never trusted men. The... More

Warnings (Important. Please Read)
00| Prologue: The Girl in My Dreams
01| The Hell I Live in
02| Meeting You
03| The Boy With Dreams
04| The Shy Girl
05| Falling
06| Unexpected Encounter
07| You're Beautiful
08| Crave
09| A Night to Remember
10| The End of Me
11| Trace of Her
12| The Monster in Me
13| Turning Page
14| When We Meet Again
15| A New Friend
16| The Space Between Us
17| The Unshed Tears
18| Silent
19| The Haunting Past
20| Something About Her
21| A Surprise
22| Something Wicked
23| Danger
24| Another Darkness
25| Save Me
26| The Worst of Me
27| Always There
28| Feelings
29| Crushed Heart
30| Best Friends
31| Opened Wounds
32| Broken Eyes
33| All You Need to Know
34| Healed
35| New Us
36| Mission Impossible
37| Boyfriend
38| Together
39| One Again
40| Us Against the World
41| No Secrets
42| Morning Bliss
43| Trouble
44| Next to the Bad Boy
45| Where You Are
46| Promise Me
47| The Voice of a Stranger
48| Where It All Began
49| Meeting the Spencers
50| Reunion
51| Heartwarming
52| The Unspoken Words
53| Taken
54| Misery
55| The Deal
56| Dead End
58| Reality
59| Wounded
60| Between Life and Death
61| Hold My Hand
62| With You
63| Epilogue: Under the Sky
Special Chapter
Author's Notes

57| The Letter

68.8K 3.6K 983
By anya_jayvyn

I'm standing in front of the entrance of the warehouse. The suitcase containing the money is in my hand.

My heart beats fast. Lais is behind these doors. I can finally see her again, if nothing goes wrong.

The kidnapper wants me alone, but there are cops already surrounding the place, all drawing their guns. I glance at one who's leaning against the wall of the warehouse, ready to ambush.

He nods, giving me the signal to proceed. And so I open the double doors with my hand. It creaks open.

I step into the place. It's quite dark that I can't make out anything.

Somehow, it just doesn't feel right.

Something cracks ahead of me, and in a second, the police ambush the warehouse. The lights are on, their guns pointed at the space, which is...empty.

There's a sound humming from a radio on a desk. Lights flicker from a small TV in front of a couch. A cat comes out behind a dust bin, knocking it down.

But there is no one here.

My hand is sweaty as I keep holding the case containing the money, watching as the cops inspect the place further.

They search everywhere, while I'm here, stunned.

What is happening?

After a few minutes, they're done checking every corner of the place.

I hear one of them report to his superior, "It's empty." And that's when I drop the case in my hand, staring blankly at the mess before me.

A sudden cold air blows through me, making the hair on the back of my neck stand.

What the hell is this?

Did the kidnapper just trick me? No, he needs the money, doesn't he?

Does it mean that he now knows that I bring the cops?

Where is Lais?

There are so many unanswered questions in my head, and fear begins to engulf me. I hear frantic shouts around me, orders given, more people rushing into the warehouse.

But I'm still nailed onto the same spot. Dead silent.

The reality comes crashing down on me.

What have I done?

Did I make a mistake?

One hour passes. And here I am, leaning my back against a police car, my hands covering my face as my heart sinks even deeper into an endless pit.

Vaughn leans against the car too, at my side. "We'll find her," he says.

I want to believe it, but why does my heart say otherwise?

I can't help but think that they indeed kept Lais in another place, and once they found me break the deal, they had a change of plan. The plan that would be my worst nightmare.

Oh, God, if something happens to her because of this--

My mind can't even bear thinking about the possibilities that may happen.

The main suspect, however, is Tuck.

A cop approaches me. "We found out that her stepfather is on a drug deal with a foreigner. We just caught the said dealer and managed to trace Tuck's location. It's another warehouse, and we have to move quickly."

My heart leaps in my throat. That might be the place where they keep Lais, and without waiting for another second, we get into the car.

The journey to the other warehouse takes approximately 15 minutes.

I stare outside the car window, only to find that dark clouds are covering the sky. It's not a bright morning like yesterday, just like what happened in my dream.

My lips tremble nervously, and a soft cry leaves my lips as I look down at my lap.

Please, God, don't let anything bad happen to her. Don't take her away from me.

Once the car stops, I rush outside, but Vaughn catches me.

"Jake," he warns, stopping me, holding my arms and shoulder from behind.

"No!" I struggle when another cop pushes me back. "Lais!" I shout.

I know that they need me to wait, but I can't. Yet, there's nothing I can do when another cop helps Vaughn to stop me.

Fuck. Three people are blocking me from storming into the place.

After a few minutes of struggling to break away, the cops inside the warehouse finally give us the signal to proceed, and I run into it.

I stop short when another cop motions for me to follow him.

And suddenly, my legs feel heavy. I follow him, walking toward a small room.

And there before my eyes lies a pool of blood. My legs give in, and I drop to my knees.

It can't be...

My nightmare has turned into reality. The only difference is that I don't see her body.

A cop hands me a denim jacket, and I take it, staring at it in disbelief.

"Is this hers?" he asks me.

I can't respond to his question. As I bring the jacket closer to my face, I smell her signature sweet scent, like she's here with me, and another soft cry leaves my lips.

I nod, signaling that the answer is true.

Another hour passes as we wait for the forensic team to give us the result of the blood. Feeling numb, I stare at the ground beneath me, sitting on the cold cement, my back against the wall.

Vaughn sits beside me, but he doesn't say a word. He knows that there's nothing to say unless the result is out, unless it tells me that it's someone else's blood and not Lais'.

A cop strides toward us. "We've got the result from the forensic team."

That makes me immediately stand up, my heart racing inside my chest. The devastated look on the cop's face worsens my fear.

"I'm sorry, Jake," he says. "It's hers."

The world around me feels like crumbling. "What?" I stutter, my voice barely a whisper.

"It's hers," he repeats. Guilt skates all over his face, and he takes out a crumpled paper from his pocket. "We found this inside the same room, but we decided to wait until the blood result was out. This is yours."

Slowly, I take it from his hand, and he walks away to give me time and space. Unable to breathe, I open the paper and see Lais' handwriting.

It's a letter, crumpled after being formed into a ball and soaked, as if she wrote it while crying.

Dear Jake,

If you happen to find this letter, you might have realized that I'm no longer in this world. I'm sorry. This is the only way I could think of reaching out to you before I go, because I still have so many things to say to you, things I've been keeping inside my heart for a long time.

I know that what happened to me is out of your hands, Jake. I know you, so please, don't ever blame yourself for this.

I want you to know that you give me nothing but happiness. With you, I feel joy. Warmth. Life. I've never felt so alive.

Do you know that you stole my heart when we first met three years ago? I was so glad that you saved me from that pervert inside the bus. From then on, I started to think differently of you, because you protected me, even though you were hurt because of me. Do you know how worried I was when you played the big football game while still being injured? Thankfully, you killed it. And I was so happy for you. That day, the rain fell from the sky, just like I fell for you, Jake. It was the first time I realized my feelings for you. The vision of you laughing, roaring your victory, is still very much in my mind. It's so beautiful, like a painting.

Then we met again. And just like the last time, you protected me, even when you had to go against a powerful man.

You're still the same person who looked out for me, still the same boy who stole my heart a few years ago.

You're always there. For me.

Every time I look into your eyes, I never see a monster in them. They're serene like the ocean, and I'm drowning in them. You make me feel loved. You make me feel precious. You make me the happiest girl in the world, Jake.

It is me who should be sorry. I'm sorry.

I'm sorry that I couldn't keep my promise to you. I told you that I would never leave you.

Please, will you forgive me?

I love you, Jake. So very much.

My hero.

My everything.

My hand is shaking when I finish reading her letter.

The ache in my heart is unbearable, and I collapse onto the ground again. This time, tears stream down my cheeks.

She couldn't be gone. She couldn't have left me forever.

It's all because of me. I've broken the deal. I've called the cops.

I killed her.

But what did she tell me? She said that I was her hero. That I was her everything.

"Jake..." Vaughn bends down next to me, and when I look at him, I can see that he's still trying to swallow what's happening, that he can't believe the reality either.

Lais is gone. And she has taken my heart with her, along with my soul.

She's my other half.

And so I scream her name inside my heart, breaking down on the cold ground.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5K 394 32
'Bad Boys Ain't Good But Good Boys Ain't No Fun.' "Don't look, but it's the king of being horny behind you." I automatically looked behind me, making...
79.5K 966 58
{EDITING PROCESS} *BOOK ONE OF TWO* When a high school student named Davina Smith faces her senior year after a tragedy in her family, suddenly finds...
6.6K 637 37
⚠️ Warning for foul language usage ⚠️ Warning for triggers {PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS "DON'T BELONG"} [Started- May, 25th, 2022] [Ended- July, 20th, 2022] ...
26.2K 684 57
"Why won't you just leave me alone! I don't want your pity." I cried out as I struggled out of his grip, " Emma Knock it off, this whole, everythin...