04| The Shy Girl

The bell rings, and it's time for a lunch break

The bell rings, and it's time for a lunch break. I sigh, packing my books into my bag.

I can't concentrate in class earlier because my mind is filled with worry about Jake and his next football match.

What if the coach still won't let him play because his wound isn't getting better?

Or even if he's allowed to play, what if they lose the game because he's not in a fit condition?

Stepping out of the classroom, I wonder how I'm going to talk to him.

I still haven't thanked him for saving me, and I still haven't apologized to him about what happened.

Just my luck, while I'm heading to my locker, I see him. Jake is walking in my direction, his backpack slung across his shoulder.

His left upper arm is wrapped in a bandage, catching people's attention as they pass by, wondering about what might have happened to the quarterback.

Oh, no. What should I do?

I don't usually speak to guys in my school, and I never thought that I have to do this to Jake Spencer while I've clearly just ruined him.

What would he think of me now?

As the distance between us shortens, our eyes meet, and I hold my breath, preparing whatever it is that's about to come out from his mouth. And preparing to say that I was truly sorry but at the same time grateful that he saved me.

But strangely, his eyes and expression are indifferent, as if he doesn't recognize who I am.

He just passes me casually, and I'm too caught up with him that I don't realize walking straight to the locker, my face crashing it.

People around me burst into laughter.

Shit. They must be thinking that I was too mesmerized by the school's prince.

Their faces speak 'Dream on'. Now, I don't even know which one contributes more in making my face red like a boiled crab -- the pain from the smack, or the embarrassment.

Stupid me. I just realize it now that Jake didn't even recognize me.

It's understandable, since my back was facing him on the bus.

If only I could travel to another planet to hide from this embarrassment, I would do it in a heartbeat.