21| A Surprise

AN:
Hi, guys! Thank you for showing your love for this story (:

Well now let's continue the story ;)

***

Monday has arrived

Monday has arrived. I step into the office and head to my desk. Today, I come a bit too early again. Staring at Jake's desk, which is still empty, I sigh.

What happened last Friday in the club was horrible, and I still can't believe that I had a flashback of my painful past there.

So that's what would happen if I smelled those drinks. Alcohols.

I promise myself that I won't get near those things anymore. Ever.

While I'm sitting on my chair and opening my laptop, Jake arrives. I startle.

"Feel better?" he asks, walking to his desk.

I nod, and a soft smile forms on his lips. Wow. With that smile, he can actually brighten every girl's Monday morning.

That thought makes me curse my stupid brain. I turn my chair toward my laptop again and start to do my work.

 I turn my chair toward my laptop again and start to do my work

The rest of the day goes smoothly. Of course, I feel so much better now that Jake and I can finally have normal conversations again.

He seems much more relaxed too. The ice has broken, and the awkwardness between us slowly melts away.

George has given us many assignments for today, so we end up working overtime. By the time the clock on my laptop screen has indicated 8 PM, there are only the two of us left in the office.

I haven't even realized that I've worked that long because I was too occupied with the documents. But I've just emailed our finished assignments to George, so we can go home soon.

"It's done." I whirl my chair around but find that Jake's chair is empty. However, his laptop and scattered files are still on his desk.

Where did that guy go? Maybe he went to the restroom.