Wayward ➳ Edward Cullen

By TwistedOver

||2021 WATTYS SHORTLIST|| Left in charge of Sam while her dad and Dean are off on a hunt, Sarah Winchester so... More

1. Forks
2. Shadows
3. Suspicions
4. Coincidences
5. Interruptions
6. Friends
7. Legends
8. Revelations
9. Natures
10. Nerves
11. Monsters
12. Dilemmas
13. Instincts
14. Meteors
16. Meetings
17. Secrets
18. Histories
19. Confrontations
20. Death
21. Flames
22. Healing Pains
23. Epilogue

15. Stories

2.8K 112 10
By TwistedOver

All too soon I was back at the little white house on F street. I noticed the shrubs needed to be trimmed, and since I had promised to do all of Sammy's chores, that left the job up to me. I hoped Edward wouldn't think we were messy for letting them go so long. Lawn care just wasn't something we usually had to deal with.

But I needn't have worried. Edward's attention was fixed wholly on me. As the car's engine settled with various soft clicks, we stared at each other, hands still entwined. It wasn't quite night, but the flush of evening painted the sky. Bands of pink, oranges, and yellows blended into light blue and deeper indigo. It was clear enough that the stars would shine soon enough.

It was hard to enjoy the sunset with Edward next to me, his gaze as admiring as it had been in the meadow. I had the wild impulse to lean across the short distance between us and kiss him. Of course, I couldn't. It would be too dangerous to surprise him. And I didn't seem to have the same iron restraint that he had to keep my kisses chaste.

Our mutual adoration was put to an end when the porch light flicked on and the screen door creaked open. We both turned to see Dean in the doorway as if he'd never left.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Sorry about Dean." Sometimes it felt as if I did a lot of apologizing on Dean's behalf. "He's—"

"Looking out for you," Edward finished. He didn't sound bothered by it at all.

Lips pressed together, I fixed him with an unamused look. "I'm seventeen. I don't need a chaperone."

"It's me he doesn't trust. Not you."

My brows cinched together. "You can read his mind?"

Edward's mouth quirked to the side. "No, but I don't need to."

"You can't read any of our minds?" That couldn't be normal. Considering he could read everyone else's.

Edward shook his head.

"I wonder why."

His brows dipped slightly as he looked off to the side. "Unfortunately, I'm no closer to an answer. Carlisle doesn't know, either. As far as I'm aware, you and your brothers are the only minds I haven't been able to read." His hand slipped out of my hold. "You should go in before he grinds his teeth to stumps."

"Would serve him right." I gave Edward a last lingering look, basking in the joy and contentment just being with him gave me. The way his presence captured my awareness, heightened my senses as they fixed on him. I already dreaded the dimmer reality that awaited me when we were apart.

But he was right. I didn't want Dean to have a bad impression of Edward. It was harder than I'd thought to turn away and open the door. To get out of the car.

The air outside was free of Edward's scent. I already missed it. Nevertheless, I shut the door and walked away, careful not to look back. I kept my sights on Dean, instead. His folded arms and tense shoulders warned me he was still in a mood.

Behind me, the Volvo came to life with a quiet purr. It rolled down the driveway and pulled out into the street. Dean's sights followed as it sped away.

The car must have turned the corner because his eyes snapped back to me. "You okay?"

My returning look was exasperated. "Y'know, most people would ask if I had a nice time."

"Fine. You have a nice time?" He asked with exaggerated politeness.

I threw it right back at him. "Yes, Dean. I did."

By then I'd reached the top step. Dean was still blocking the doorway. We stood and stared for a moment. Finally, Dean's shoulders slumped, and his arms dropped to his sides. "I thought you didn't date."

"I changed my mind," I answered.

Dean shook his head. "This is a bad idea, Sarah."

"You go out on dates all the time."

"I don't get attached."

I pushed past him. Dean shifted to the side, allowing me by. The door creaked as he shut it.

Dean grabbed the canister of salt on a nearby shelf, one intended to hold letters. He fixed the white line scattered across the wooden floorboards. "Remember that one kid? Jerry?"

"Harry," I corrected. We'd stayed in Elwood for nearly a month while Dad tracked down a wraith. I'd been a freshman when I'd met Harry Dodgeson in English. The son of a struggling single mom who wasn't around too often, we'd hit it off immediately. Dark hair with light blue eyes, he was cute with a great sense of humor. He'd been my first kiss.

"Whatever." He straightened up, putting the salt back into place. "How long did that last after we left Indiana? Two weeks?"

"A month," I muttered. Eventually, he'd stopped calling me back. I had to leave a message breaking up with him since I couldn't get ahold of him.

Dean crossed the room in a series of creaking boards. He settled onto the sofa, forearms propped against his knees, and stared up at me. "This life ain't made for romance."

"I know that," I shot back.

"Do you?" Dean's stare was incisive. "Because if that's what you want, better forget all about hunting."

"Drop it, Dean." I tugged off my jacket rougher than necessary before hanging it in the closet.

"You're setting yourself up to get hurt," he warned.

He was right, and it made me mad. "It's none of your business," I snapped, shutting the closet door harder than necessary. A few of the pictures along the wall rattled.

Dean narrowed his eyes. "What's this kid's deal, anyway?"

The fact he was referring to a century-old vampire as a kid amused me enough to smooth the sharper edges of my raised hackles. I folded my arms, shrugging. "He's my lab partner in bio."

"He's the one who drove you home from Port Angeles," Dean went on. "The son of the town Doc, right?"

Given Dean had probably seen Waylon's body for himself, before the ghoul had emptied it out, he likely already knew the story going round was a ruse. The story Edward's father had given. But I couldn't exactly lie. "That's right."

Dean hummed, head tilting minutely as his lips twisted upwards. "Movin' on up."

I glared. "I'm not dating him because his family is rich, Dean."

Dean arched a brow. "No. You're dating him because he's got a pretty face." He picked up the remote. "Just remember those kinds of guys are entitled douchebags."

"You're such an ass. You don't know anything about him," I shot back.

Dean's attention flickered from the television back to me. "I know the type."

Shaking my head, I held up a hand. There was no convincing Dean of anything once he had his mind made up. "Whatever," I muttered. Besides, if he thought Edward was just some yuppie son of a doctor, all the better. "Did you get anything for dinner?"

"Wasn't your boyfriend supposed to buy you some?" Dean answered as he settled back onto the couch, still channel surfing.

Ignoring him, I strode into the kitchen and made for the peanut butter and bread. A sandwich and glass of milk later, I was still wound up from everything that had happened. Since I didn't want Dean to have a chance to give me any more crap, I started up the stairs. After a detour to the bathroom, I was back in my room.

I opened the door and startled at the sight of Edward sitting on the bed, waiting. Hurrying, I closed the door behind me and, in a low whisper, asked, "What are you doing here?!"

His voice was soft as he replied, "Do you want me to leave?"

I didn't. But what I wanted and what was best were two different things. "I don't want you to get caught."

He graced me with another of his glorious smiles. "I won't." Impish expression overtaking his face, Edward tapped an ear.

Super hearing. Right. My heart hadn't settled from the surprise of seeing him in my room. It didn't help when he reached for my hand again. I sat down beside him, closer than I would anyone else, till we were nearly touching. "Haven't you had enough of me?"

"Never," he pledged, free hand sweeping a lock of hair behind my ear.

A near irresistible urge to melt into him came over me. Winchester stubbornness kept me from turning into a fawning mess, but it was a near thing. "Smooth move, Mister Cullen."

His smirk kept my heart racing. "They're definitely coming back." For a moment I thought he meant my brothers. But when I twisted to look at the door, he smiled and breathed a laugh. A tug of his hand brought me back around. "My human instincts," he explained.

"Did you date a lot?"

Edward's brows shot up and he leaned a bit to the side. "No, actually."

Now it was my turn to look surprised. "You didn't date a lot or... at all?"

"I hadn't met anyone I was interested in courting," he replied, very formally. His eyes narrowed, as if he were struggling to see something far away. "I was schooled at home so my interactions with other children were few and far between."

I tried to envision a younger Edward spending all his time at home, only his teacher to keep him company. "Sounds lonely."

His sights relaxed, falling back on me. "Occasionally there'd be someone at a dinner party or at the park. I don't mean to make it sound as if I had no friends, but they were mostly boys." He tilted his head. "How about you?"

I answered with a breezy grin. "Depends on your definition of friend, I suppose." One of his brows lifted prompting me to say, "I've known loads of people. I suppose you could say I make friends easily. People to sit beside at lunch. But that's about it." My grin withered a bit as I admitted, "I don't remember much about them after a few months. Not even their names." It sounded horrible when I said it like that, but they'd say the same about me.

Edward's gaze drifted down to our hands. "But you've dated."

"A few times," I agreed. The corners of his mouth felt into a slight frown. Seeing it, I had the sudden need to reassure him. "Never anything serious."

His stare lifted to meet mine. "And this?" he asked, lightly squeezing my hand.

I faltered, unable to meet his eyes any longer. "More serious than it should be," I admitted. Because where would this ultimately lead? Nowhere but heartache. If not because of what he was, then because of who I was.

Edward lifted my chin. "You are my world now."

It was a pretty declaration but, "What does that mean?"

"It means I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe and happy," he swore. His voice softened as he added, "So long as you want me, I'll be here."

It was as if he'd seen straight into the most secret wish of my heart. The one I'd come to terms with never fulfilling. Not so long as I stayed with my family. But I'd long since chosen them over some nebulous dream.

But, unbelievably, here was the dream made real. Someone who wanted to stay. Someone who I wanted to stay with.

I tried to think of something to say. Whether it was another reminder of how different we were, or how my father or brother would literally kill him. How this was impossible. Or maybe pledge the same, damn the rest of it.

"I wish—"

Edward leaned forward, pressing his forehead to mine. "I swear it."

His whisper brushed my lips. I closed my eyes and nodded.

We sat quietly for a time, I breathed in his scent as he sat still beside me. Eventually my heart began to calm. Finally, I leaned back and sighed. "How long are you staying?"

His own eyes opened. "As long as you'll let me."

I wasn't sure what he meant. "You're sleeping over?" The thought was enough to make my cheeks heat up again.

His lopsided smile made another appearance. "I don't sleep."

His statement had the air of confession about it. I blinked, surprised. "Ever?"

He shook his head.

"Huh." I wasn't sure if a life without sleep sounded good or bad. More time to get things done, but no dreams. No feeling of restfulness in the morning after a sound night's sleep. "What do you do all night."

His voice took on a careful note. "Listen to music. Read. Hunt. Whatever passes the time."

"And you want me to stay up with you?"

"No. I want you to rest." He shrugged. "I'll keep watch over you."

My brows rose. "Just—watch me sleep?"

He nodded.

"Sounds boring."

He gave another closed-lipped grin. "I'm fully enthralled."

I lifted a skeptical eyebrow but shrugged. "If you say so." I was still wearing my flannel, jeans, and holsters. "I need a minute to change."

Edward smiled and, after a moment, leaned forward to press his lips to my forehead. Before I could wholly process the sensation of his cool lips pressed against my warmer skin, he was gone. The curtain shifted slightly from the window I now noticed was open.

Lightened by the phantom feel of his lips on my brow, I went to the window and peeked out but saw no sign of Edward. Cautious, I closed the curtains before opening the door to my closet.

Now that I would have a boy overnight, a restless thrill shot through me. Digging through my duffle, I regretted the pair of simple cotton shorts and one of Dean's old, torn AC/DC t-shirts that was the sum total of my nightwear. Though I wasn't sure what I'd replace it with. One of those nicer slips, maybe. With the curtain closed, I stepped behind the open door and quickly unbuckled the gun harness and holster before changing clothes.

Padding barefoot across the floor, I slid my gun in its customary spot and placed my machete on the nearby end table. "Edward?"

He was at the window barely a moment later, quietly easing inside. As soon as he was standing on the floor, I picked up the salt canister and fixed the line before sliding the window shut.

Finished, I turned to find Edward sitting on the edge of the mattress. I sat down beside him. "You don't have to stay, you know."

"I want to." His hand covered mine.

I glanced at our hands, admiring the way his fit over mine, before looking back up. "I'm too keyed up to sleep right now."

"What do you want to do?" he asked.

Thinking of our kiss by the car, the fire returned to my cheeks, brighter than before. He must have seen my blush despite the lights being off because the corners of his mouth turned up. I swallowed and said, "We could talk."

"About?" Edward asked, polite as could be.

I cast about for a topic. "Your family?"

And so Edward spoke in a low murmur of his extraordinary family. He spoke first of Carlisle, the son of a preacher who had spent centuries alone before turning Edward. Of his mother, Esme, who Carlisle found after a failed attempt to take her own life, whom he loved completely from the moment he first saw her. Then Rosalie, the beauty who'd been brutalized and left for dead when Carlisle came upon her.

When I heard Carlisle had hoped she'd be to Edward what Esme had been for him, resentment flared. I thought of her cover model face and body. How was I supposed to compete with that? "How'd she end up with Emmett?" I asked instead.

"She found him in the middle of a woods. He'd stumbled on a grizzly in a temper. It didn't end well for him."

"So Rosalie changed him."

"No." Edward frowned. "It's—extraordinarily hard to do. She picked him up, ran the entire way back to our house, and begged Carlisle to turn him."

"Why not do it herself? What's so difficult?"

Edward's frown deepened. "It takes a bite to transfer our venom. But once the blood flows—it's like a frenzy comes over you." Edward moved his hand, placing it on his thigh as he stared off towards the window. "I can't imagine having the strength to stop. Very few vampires are capable of it."

"And Carlisle is?"

"He's able to work with blood and show no signs of hunger," Edward reminded me. "Carlisle's gift is his compassion. It's enabled him to triumph over many of a vampire's baser instincts." Edward smiled softly. "He's the very best of us."

I sat and digested what he'd told me for several minutes. As I did, Edward's gaze eventually found its way back to me, though his hand didn't return with his attention. "So Rosalie fell in love with Emmett and left you?"

Edward's brow climbed. "Rosalie and I were never together." My surprise must have shown because his crooked smile made its reappearance. "Rosalie is—very focused on herself. I tired quickly of her thoughts."

"I guess it's a good thing you can't hear mine," I said, half-joking.

Edward's gaze pierced mine. "I don't believe your thoughts would sound anything remotely like Rosalie's. You're much too selfless."

"You can't know that," I pointed out.

"You worry about other people before worrying about yourself," Edward said. "You're so concerned for the wellbeing of others you're willing to risk your life to protect them."

I feigned a nonchalant shrug. "Or maybe I'm just a thrill seeker."

"I wish that were true. There are far easier, less dangerous, thrills," Edward remarked dryly.

Not wanting to wonder how much of Edward's attraction to me was because he couldn't hear my thoughts, I decided to change the subject. "What about Alice and Jasper?"

Edward's lips pursed in thought before he said, "Alice is something of a mystery. She woke up alone, changed, with no memory of her human life."

My eyes widened. "Nothing?"

Edward shook his head. "If not for her talent she likely would have turned savage. Instead, she saw her future family, and set out to find us. She came upon Jasper first. Together they appeared to Carlisle, Esme, and Rosalie one day while Emmett and I were away." A soft smile rose to Edward's face as he recalled, "When we returned, I read Alice's mind a moment before she hugged me and called me brother."

Thinking of Missouri, I replied, "Psychics do have a way of making it seem like they know all about you."

Edward nodded.

"What about Jasper?"

"Jasper—is the newest of us to forgo human blood. He still has difficulties at times, but he's adjusting."

I waited for more, but nothing came. "Did Alice change him?"

"No. He was already a vampire." Edward finally took my hand again. "Forgive me, but it's Jasper's story to tell."

I wondered why he was more reticent to reveal more of Jasper's past, but after the excitement of the day, I was growing tired. "Do you mind if I lay down?"

"Of course not," Edward replied, looking surprised I asked.

After I pulled the blanket down and slid my legs under the cover, I looked up at Edward, still sitting beside me. "You're really going to stay the night?"

Edward's gaze softened. "I told you, as long as you'll have me at your side, it's where I intend to be."

I sighed and rolled onto the side facing him, staring down at our entwined hands. "Tell me more."

Edward thought for a moment before starting in on a recent story of hunting with his brothers. He had just gotten to the part where Emmett had cornered a bear fresh from hibernation when my eyelids fluttered shut. His soft, lilting words guided me to sleep better than any lullaby.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

691K 19K 36
A Twilight fanfiction. In which a girl's mind is much more fascinating than Bella's shield. Edward Cullen x Original Character "Her mind is overwhe...
510K 18.2K 49
"The past fabricates our exposition, but it is not the whole story." Having the well known and beloved Alice as her twin, Hannah has always had...
18.8K 680 8
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧; 𝐀𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐧𝐲𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐫𝐨𝐚𝐦𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐧𝐭, 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐭�...
884K 34K 59
"Everything has a purpose and a reason, I believe it so." Many have tried and failed to get under Iris' skin. Whether it be calling her gruesome name...