Sixty-four Steps (drarry)

By liamwhatdoyoubring

A stormy sky, clouds and rain. As Harry looked, truly looked, into Draco's eyes he could begin to see a story... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16

Chapter 15

392 12 343
By liamwhatdoyoubring

we'll be a fine line
we'll be alright

Christmas Morning.

Harry awoke at around ten, he had been jittery all night. Excitement pumping through his veins. Harry was genuinely excited about Christmas this year. Amazing family, gifts, Draco. Everything was perfect, absolutely perfect.

Harry rolled on top of Draco and kissed his chin. "Wake up darling" Harry cooed. Draco grumbled and turned over with Harry, pulling him back into his arms. Harry smiled and pecked the tip of Draco's nose. "It's Christmas darling" Harry said softly as he caressed Draco's cheek.

"Christmas can wait another 30 minutes" Draco said groggily, he was barely conscious. "No, no it cannot. Come on Dray I wanna go open gifts" Harry nagged. Draco's eyes completely fluttered open. He smiled when he was met with the cheery face of his love. "Fine love" Draco said and went in to kiss Harry.

Harry stopped him. "No darling, I have awful morning breath. I don't want to accidentally kill you" Harry chuckled. Draco shook his head and rolled his eyes. "I don't care" Draco kissed Harry softly. A good morning kiss.

"Now c'mon" Harry got out of bed tugging on Draco's hand. "I am I am calm down" Draco chuckled and got up. He put his slippers on and handed Harry his. Harry slid his own on.

They made their way downstairs, passing Bellatrix on the way. They smiled to her and continued to the main room. Narcissa was already in there, sitting on the couch. She seemed to be waiting for them.

"Happy Christmas Mum!" Draco walked over to her and leaned down to hug her. Harry hugged her as well. "Happy Christmas Narcissa" Harry pulled away and sat on one of the arm chairs.

"Well then I will sort the gifts." Narcissa smiled and walked over to the tree. Harry looked out of the large window and saw snow covering the land as far as he could see. A warm sensation filled Harry. This dark manor seemed so light in this moment.

"Good morning!" Bellatrix came into the room and waved hello to everyone. Harry smiled at her, then noticed she had her wand tucked into her pocket. He found it odd, but let it slide. Maybe she was ready to defend them against an intruder or something.

Bellatrix had become a very close person to Harry. She gave him advice, she joked with him, and she was there for him. Harry and her had began to become friends, very good friends. He trusted her, he believed she was truly a changed woman.

"Here Harry" Narcissa pushed his pile of gifts towards him. Harry looked completely stunned, his face frozen with a large smile. "Thank you so much, you really didn't have to" Harry managed out. Narcissa shook her head and smiled. "You deserve it hon." She smiled and gave Draco his pile, then Bellatrix her's.

They all began opening at the same time. Draco and Harry occasionally looking at the other person's gifts. Harry saw a few items of clothing he knew he would be stealing from Draco when they returned back to Hogwarts. Draco saw some colognes of Harry's he would definitely be using without Harry's permission.

Bellatrix had opened all of her gifts. She got up and hugged everyone, saying thank you along the way. "I'll be right back" She smiled and disappeared into her room.

Narcissa smiled at the two boys. "Do you two like your gifts?" She asked. "Yes, these are truly amazing. I'm so grateful" Harry said to her, nearly in tears. He had never had this kind of experience. Everyone was happy and getting along. There was no yelling or stress. Harry felt safe. He felt as if this whole home was untouchable.

Draco placed his hand on Harry's. Harry looked up at Draco and smiled. "I got you a gift." Draco said softly and handing Harry a box. Harry quirked his head. "I've got one for you two." Harry handed Draco a smaller box.

"You open yours first." Harry nudged Draco and smiled. Narcissa was watching intently, she knew what both of them had gotten each other. "Fine fine" Draco unwrapped his cute little box. It revealed a black box.

Draco opened it, there lay one of the most beautiful rings he had ever seen. "Oh Harry.."Draco was at a loss for words. A large band, an emerald in the middle. Shapes and grooves carved into the metal band. "You always complain about how you don't have enough rings, so I got you one more to add to your tiny collection." Harry smiled at his reaction.

"It's gorgeous darling" Draco kissed Harry, Draco really kissed Harry with every ounce of love in his body. "Okay okay your turn, It was sort of last minute. Although I think you'll love it" Draco smiled and waited impatiently for Harry to unwrap his gift.

Harry unwrapped it, a piece of paper. Harry tilted his head a bit, sort of confused. He opened up the paper. Harry read over the words and basically attacked Draco with a big bear hug. Draco fell over with Harry holding him. Harry was in tears, happy tears.

"I love you, I love you, I love you" Harry kissed Draco now. Draco smiled. "Plane tickets to Paris." Harry said to Draco. "It's your dream. I want to be the one to fulfill it. Harry it'll be gorgeous" Draco smiled and held Harry tightly.

"I got the best tickets money could buy. We're flying first class" He said to Harry.

"I cannot believe you." Harry had the biggest smile on his face, his cheeks began hurting. Narcissa was just watching with love and endearment. "I love you boys" She scooted over to them and hugged the both of them. They both reacted instantly hugging her back.

Meanwhile...

"Ok Barty today's the big day!" Bellatrix smiled. Barty smiled as well. "Can we do it now?" Barty asked with excitement. And a sense of impatience. "No their friends are on their way right now. We must wait until they leave. We can do it then" Bellatrix began changing into some more appropriate clothes for the day.

Barty smirked. "Hon, this is going to be our biggest accomplishment yet." He said. Bellatrix turned around to face him. "I couldn't be more excited" She said with a devilish smirk on her face.

~~

Neville, Blaise, Hermione, and Ron had arrived to the Manor.

Everyone hugged and chatted for a bit. "Okay gift exchange. Me and 'Mione have got to be on our way soon. Mum's expecting us home soon." Ron said and pulled the gifts out of Hermione's bag. Neville and Blaise were cuddled up together next to the fireplace.

They truly made a perfect pair.

Harry clapped his hands excitedly and began handing out their gifts to the rest of the people in the room. "We got these all last minute so if you don't like them, sucks" Draco said with a smirk and Harry hit his shoulder.

"No we did not, he's lying. I put much thought into the gifts." Harry smiled a satisfactory smile and sat back as everyone began unwrapping their gifts.

He had gotten Blaise and Neville a joint gift, necklaces. One said he's a catch, the other said he's a keeper. Harry thought it was a funny cute gift for them because they were just starting out. Blaise was very passionate about quidditch so Harry found it to be a perfect gift. It was cheesy but cute.

Neville and Blaise laughed and smiled, putting the necklaces on. "They're beautiful thank you Harry." Neville smiled. Harry liked this side of Neville, not so shy, reserved, and jittery. Neville seemed very happy with Blaise. It was another one of those rare loves. Where it was so unexpected yet so anticipated.

The rest of the gifts really weren't mentioning, just funny little things. Gifts lining up with inside jokes between Harry and Hermione and Ron. They had gotten the others small cute things. Everyone had finally finished opening their gifts and saying their thank you's.

"I'll see the two of you sometime before break ends okay?" Harry said as he walked Ron and Hermione to the door. "Of course you will mate. We can't stay away from you for long anyway." Ron chuckled and hugged Harry.

Hermione hugged Harry as well. "I'll see you around. Be safe ok?" She said as she smiled and walked out the door. Harry closed the door once they were gone, and locked it.

He came back into the living room. Blaise and Neville were collecting their things as well. "Leaving?" Harry said. "Yes they are they have Christmas plans to attend to" Draco smiled at Harry. "Alright then. It was lovely seeing you two." Harry smiled. "Let's get together for a double date sometime yeah?" Blaise said to Draco and Harry as he took Neville's hand.

"Yeah mate sounds great." Draco smiled and lead them to the door. Harry followed. "It's been lovely. Bye you two" Neville smiled and walked out into the cold air. Blaise followed him.

Draco closed the door and re locked it. "Well that was actually enjoyable." Draco chuckled and walked back into the living room. Harry followed and agreed.

"It was fun, we should do it again sometime with all of them. Like a get together" Harry smiled and began cleaning up the wrapping paper. Draco helped. "Everything is so perfect love" Draco smiled. "It really is" Harry smiled as well, feeling light as air.

"Looks like Ron left his jacket  here." Harry picked it up and set it on a table. "He can grab it whenever we do our next gathering." Draco smiled and kissed Harry's forehead.

"Oh your friends left?" Narcissa said as she came back into the room. "Yes they had plans mum" Draco said and made a ball of the wrapping paper. "Oh okay, we'll then how about we-" Narcissa was cut off by Bellatrix entering the room. She was wearing the outfit she wore at the battle.

Harry shuddered at the memories. "Your friends are gone?" Bellatrix asked politely, warmly, sweetly. "Yes they left a few minutes back." Harry replied with a smile.

"Isn't Christmas just absolutely wonderful?" Narcissa said cheerily. "Yes, yes it is. Maybe tomorrow we could go to the city." Draco said with a smile on his face. Harry cuddled into Draco's side, Draco wrapped his arm around him. Draco caressed Harry's side with his hand. Harry smiled and kissed Draco's cheek.

"It is a lovely Christmas isn't it?" Bellatrix smiled. Everyone in the room agreed.

"I couldn't agree more." A deeper voice, sounding like a man said from the staircase. Everyone's heads snapped back to look at him.

Harry began trembling, his whole body set into a fit of shivering. Draco pulled Harry closer to him and slowly backed away. "Wh- what are you doing here?" Draco said, trying to sound stern and unafraid. "Bella didn't tell you?" Barty smirked.

Bellatrix got up and walked to him, he grabbed her by the waist and they shared a very unnecessary sloppy kiss. Draco and Harry cringed and looked away. Narcissa was shell shocked, just standing in one place, frozen.

"Well I'll explain why I'm here." The man smirked devilishly and looked at everyone in the room. Draco had Harry pushed up against him, scared and trembling.

Draco was trying to soothe Harry in any quiet possible way he could. Soft kisses to his temple, caressing his side, whispering reassurances into his ear. "I'm here to kill the boy, as you all probably have figured." Barty said.

Harry began crying silently, he thought he had put this all behind him. Harry's mind could not even begin to focus on one thing, so much was running through it. His tears wetting his cheeks.

Draco's eyes were beginning to pool with tears, he couldn't lose Harry. He couldn't lose the one person he cared for most. He couldn't lose the one person who completed him, the one person who filled the empty hole in his heart. Draco's heart was beating out of his chest, that was all he could hear.

"I figured i'd make it a fair fight, wouldn't be much fun if I could take it so easily so here." Barty tossed each of their wands to them. Harry's trembling hand reached out and grabbed ahold of his.

Harry had never given up a fight, no matter the circumstances. He wouldn't give up now. Harry wouldn't give up Draco, he wouldn't give up the life they've made. Harry wouldn't give up their future plans, Paris, the home in the countryside.

Harry rose to his feat, Draco watched with his hand still entwined with Harry's. Draco grabbed his wand and stood up as well. Draco was willing to fight, to die for Harry. "Ah looks like we'll have a fair duel after all" Bellatrix clapped cheerfully.

Narcissa grabbed her wand as well and walked over, standing next to Harry and Draco.

"Yay" Barty smirked and pulled out his wand.

"Fight!" Bellatrix said and smirked. She began targeting Narcissa, spells flying left and right. Narcissa deflecting them all and throwing them right back. "My own Sister!" Narcissa yelled at her. "Oh whatever!" Bellatrix rolled her eyes out and stuck her tongue out at her. The spells kept flying through the air.

Harry and Draco stood side by side facing the evil man who stood in front of them. "If anything happens look in the very back of my wardrobe ok?" Harry said, shaky voice and all. "Don't talk like that nothing will happen. I love you" Draco replied, tears running down his face. Tears of sadness and worry and fear.

"Enough of the sappy shit let's get this over with" Barty started throwing spells at the two of them. Draco made sure to keep Harry behind him, since Harry was the big prize.

Flashes of different colored lights were flying around the room, the Christmas tree had been knocked down by this point.

The fights began to collide, Harry, Draco, and Narcissa against the other two. "Stupefy!" Narcissa yelled pointing her wand at Barty, for some reason he didn't deflect it, or even try to. It hit him and he fell unconscious.

"Looks like it's just you against us now" Draco smirked at his aunt. "I can take all of you on, this should be easy." Bellatrix smiled and began throwing more spells. She was aiming all of them at Harry, but no one would allow her spells to touch him.

One spell did hit someone, a stupefy spell hit Narcissa. She fell unconscious. "Your own sister! You're evil!" Draco shouted at her.

"Blah blah blah" Bellatrix rolled her eyes and laughed hysterically. "What's so funny?" Harry asked her. "Nothing, nothing at all" She smiled.

"If you want him you have to get through me!" Draco yelled at her and threw spells at her like a madman. Harry did the same. "I'm okay with killing you and him hon." Bellatrix giggled.

"Well then guess I get on with it." Bellatrix raised her wand. "Immediate death for you. I won't make you suffer because you are still my nephew" Bellatrix smiled.

Ron and Hermione had returned for his coat, they heard the fighting and went inside after using the unlocking charm. They were now watching this intense scene going on in front of them, very confused what was happening.

Everything began moving in slow motion for Draco. His fight or flight instinct immediately kicking in. Draco backed up and wrapped his arms around Harry, keeping Harry behind him. Harry held Draco's arms. "I love you" Harry whispered into Draco's ear. Draco looked back at Harry with tears in his eyes.

Streams of tears falling down his and Harry's faces. All Harry could think of in that moment was the first time he truly saw Draco's eyes. All he could think of was how in love he fell. He could only think of every time Draco had comforted him, held him, kissed him. Draco had been there for Harry in his darkest hours. The love of Harry's life was ready to die for him.

Harry's brain was overflowing with the smiles and laughter of Draco. He couldn't bare to let that laughter go quiet.

"Avada Keda-" Bellatrix began speaking and pointing her wand at Draco who was attempting to protect Harry. "No!" Harry yelled and jumped in front of Draco.

"Harry!" Draco yelled as he watched Harry hit the floor. Once the green light made contact with Harry's chest, his life left his body.

Draco fell to the floor, sobbing. "No! No! No! No!" Draco pounded his fist on the ground, he pulled Harry's heavy and limp body onto his lap.

"Avada Kedavra!" He heard someone shout and Bellatrix fell, dead. It was Ron.

Draco couldn't even begin to pay attention to that. "Harry No!" Draco was repeating, a loop of his words. "You can't die!" Draco yelled at Harry's body. He grabbed ahold of Harry's shoulders. "What about Paris?!" Draco shouted in a sob. "What about our dream life?!" Draco cried and held Harry's body close to him.

Harry Potter was dead.

Ron and Hermione rushed over to him, placing their hands on his back. Hermione's hand clasped over her mouth when she saw Harry.
Ron was going to be sick.

Draco's ears began ringing. "You can't die.."Draco's voice came out a whisper, a tiny whisper was all he could manage. "I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you" Draco sobbed into Harry's chest. Harry's chest which now wasn't rising and falling with any breath.

Harry's face which once lit up a room with his smile, was pale and expressionless. Draco was sobbing, his whole body ached. He felt as if the glue holding him together had all just melted away. Draco's heart was breaking with every passing second. He stared down at the lifeless body of the love of his life. Draco could barely see, he could barely breathe.

Draco pressed a kiss to Harry's cold lifeless lips, his tears soaking Harry's face. "M-my love.." Draco said through tears, his voice breaking constantly. Draco brushed a piece of hair off of Harry's forehead.

Draco was empty.

broken.

never the same again.

a shell of who he used to be.

The man who he had once watched dance around the room with such joy and passion was now dead. The man he had once held tightly in his arms feeling the warmth he radiated, was now in his arms, but cold and lifeless. The other half of Draco had just been ripped from him.

~~~

The day of his funeral. The day Draco would bury the love of his life. The day Draco would completely lose himself.

It had been four days since the incident. Draco referred to it as the incident, he would never say the day the love of his life died.

Draco wore an all black suit, black tie, and black shoes. His eyes were puffy and bloodshot. He hadn't stopped crying, every night he would get into bed hoping Harry would be whining for more cuddles. He never was. It was always just silence. Deafening silence. Draco would wake up from his two hours of sleep and hope to see Harry's smiling face staring at him.

He never did.

It got worse and worse everyday. Everyday Draco would cry more and more.

Barty had been sent to Azkaban. Narcissa made a full and speedy recovery. Draco could never recover, he could never recover from this silence. There was never any sound of Harry's breathing, or Harry's laughter, or his voice. Draco would give his life to hear Harry once more.

"Draco, it's almost time." His mother said from outside the door. "okay.." Draco said quietly. Draco's voice never rose above a quiet. He missed the way Harry's voice was always so soft and quiet.

Draco walked into their bedroom, then remembered something Harry had said.

"Look in the back of my wardrobe."

Draco instantly opened Harry's wardrobe and began sifting through it. He was trying his hardest to ignore the smell of Harry. The smell of his boyfriend.

Draco found an envelope. He sat down on the bed with it. His trembling hands opened it. He found a simple piece of parchment. Draco opened it and began reading.

Dear My Love,

If you're reading this that means the worst has happened. I'm writing this while you're in the shower. I can hear you singing. It's soothing yet so damn funny. Things have been too perfect lately, I just keep anticipating something going wrong. The thoughts in my brain aren't good ones. All I can think about is the worst. Draco, you mean the whole world to me, you are my light, my reason to live. You saved me. You are the other half of me and I'm sorry it took me so long to realize it. I know that I'm dead considering you're reading this. I want you to know I love you with every bone in my body. I love you so much and you deserve every single ounce of it. Please Draco, go to Paris. Go see the Eiffel Tower. Think of me while you're doing it. Do it for me. Buy the Manor on the countryside. Remember you're so fucking amazing. I don't want you to stop living just because I have. I hope you can feel my love radiating through this. Haha maybe you can wouldn't that be amazing if you could. I'm sorry that was off topic. I love you. I hope you don't ever have to read this. If you do, I love you. Stay safe Dray, don't ever forget me.

                                            With Love,
                                                Your darling Harry

Draco had tears streaming down his face once more. He could barely move, he was stuck. Harry didn't deserve what happened to him. Harry deserved the world. Draco tried to give it to him but failed.

Draco sniffled and made his way downstairs. His mother put her hand on his back and rubbed softly. Draco began sobbing again. He couldn't control himself.

"It's okay love, sh sh." She hugged him. Draco sobbed. They walked out of the door and into the car that had come to take them to the service.

Draco cried the whole way there. The echoing of Harry's laughter hadn't left Draco's brain for the past four days. All he could hear was the happiness. The happiness that went silent on Christmas.

They finally arrived and Draco dragged himself out of the car. He was in barely any condition to be awake. He hadn't eaten and he had barely slept.

Draco walked up to the entrance and slowly walked in. Everyone patting his shoulder on the way in, they were all feeling sympathy for the poor boy who lost his soulmate.

He saw most of the professors from his school there. Snape spotted him and immediately embraced Draco with a comforting hug. "I'm so sorry my dear boy" Snape said and held Draco. Draco bit the inside of his cheek, attempting not to cry. Snape pulled away and smiled at Draco. It was a very sad smile. The loss of Harry Potter was a great loss, an impactful loss.

Draco saw the casket, open. He took in a deep shaky breath.

"We can go up with you if you want?" Hermione rubbed Draco's shoulder comfortingly. Ron nodded and looked at him. "No I need to do this myself, but thank you" Draco sniffled.

They hugged him tightly before letting go, letting him walk up to the box where his lifeless love laid. Draco began walking up to his casket. He began walking up to see the man who was once so full of life, dead.

"I love you" Draco mumbled down to Harry as he held his cold hand, his eyes filling with tears.

It took Draco 64 steps to reach it.

~~~~~~~~~~
Authors Note.

FUCK IM DEAD. I sobbed writing this so please enjoy reading my tears. I have half of the happy ending already written it will be out shortly. I cannot believe this story has come to an end ! It was an honor to write it and have so many of you like it ! This chapter is more than depressing. I promise the happy one makes up for it ! I listened to turning page by sleeping at last on a loop while writing this chapter. OUCH IM SORRY THIS HURT SO DEEPLY TO WRITE. Okay I love all of you! The happy ending will come out within the next few days !

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 5.2K 26
"Umm I-I was uhh j-just leaving" I stuttered. {why am I having trouble speaking? especially to Malfoy!} He looks me up and down and I some how feel e...
7.3M 255K 64
"You know what I think?" Harry leaned across the table. "I think you're afraid. You don't take risks like us Gryffindors." He scoffed. "Please, you G...
29.2K 488 58
Harry Potter, the boy who lived, the chosen one, goes through so much pain, both emotional and physical. He gets abused, tormented, and has fallen in...
11.7K 2.2K 45
This must be a mistake... I scanned the crowd until I found the silver eyes. They looked back, blank. *** What happens when you're forced to spend ti...