mahogany ; d.m

By canyonsunflowerr

[ᴍᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ ᴄᴏɴᴛᴇɴᴛ- ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ ᴅɪꜱᴄʀᴇᴛɪᴏɴ ᴀᴅᴠɪꜱᴇᴅ] "You look so good like this," he smirked, lifting her chin with t... More

disclaimer
cast
1 - stunned
2 - detention
3 - invitations
4 - the three broomsticks
5 - amortentia
6 - slytherin
7 - desire
8 - quidditch
9 - hufflepuff
10 - firewhiskey
11 - suspicious
12 - honey
13 - nausea
14 - flames
15 - incrementum vitae
16 - decisions
17 - rid
18 - molten mandposey
19 - necessity
20 - warmth
21 - unexpected
22 - victory
23 - birthday
24 - the hogwarts express
25 - the burrow
26 - christmas day
28 - slytherin vs hufflepuff
29 - gone
30 - void
31 - condolences
32 - high
33 - photograph
34 - pensieve
35 - catastrophes
36 - temptation
37 - aftermath
38 - the trophy room
39 - lies
40 - endings
41 - ruined
42 - tension
43 - promises
44 - truth or dare
45 - nightmares
46 - deceived
47 - ache
48 - yours
49 - reflection
50 - longing
51 - mine
52 - mysteries
53 - demise
54 - memoriam
55 - void again
56 - still life
57 - theodore
58 - two christmas'
59 - disappearances
60 - luna
61 - remember
62 - the manor
63 - wards
64 - alive
65 - departures
66 - the battle
67 - heal
68 - then forever
epilogue
author's note
new book out now!

27 - accusation

3.6K 76 20
By canyonsunflowerr

Harry, Ginny, Lupin and Mr Weasley had luckily returned in one piece, arriving to the burning scene. They had arranged immediately for the children to go straight back to Hogwarts, as Harry's protection was completely under threat.

Cedric wouldn't be returning with them so he kissed Athena goodbye before disapparating to his home. Athena hugged her mother and David a goodbye before they set off to drive away, escaping as quickly as they could.

After the fire had been put out, Mr and Mrs Weasley had decided to temporarily stay at Grimmauld Place. Mr Weasley summoned the Knight Bus to transport the children to Hogwarts before disapparating with Molly.

Lupin accompanied them on the bus to make sure they reached Hogwarts safely. The journey was chaotic and they had to squeeze into the bus as there wasn't much space along with the other people.

But once they had arrived, they said a goodbye to Lupin and trekked up to the entrance of Hogwarts. Everyone was rather quiet. There were no jokes, no laughs and minimal speaking altogether.

Ron remained to bear close to Hermione, both of them shaken up and Harry was holding onto Ginny's hand. Fred and George walked at the back, behind Athena who trailed along sluggishly, feeling slightly traumatised.

Once they reached the castle, McGonagall was quick to let them enter, whilst showing an abundance of concern for their wellbeing. Continuing the silence all the way up to Gryffindor Tower, they went through the portrait, Hermione and Ron first, followed by Harry and Ginny.

As Athena was about to go through, a tall figure approached, charging down the corridor at a hurriedly pace.

She stopped dead in her tracks, staring at the pale, blonde boy in his all-black suit. He wore a sullen expression on his face with dark circles shadowing his eyes, more prominent than usual.

Fred and George, who had been behind her, both stepped in front of Athena, glaring at Malfoy as he approached. George held out his wand aiming it at Draco, hatred casting over his features. Fred, pushed Athena further behind him, as if to protect her and drew his wand.

Draco raised his eyebrows in astonishment, taken aback by the twins' sudden movements. He too pulled out his wand, looking hesitant for what he were to do next.

Athena observed what was unfolding in front of her as if in a daze, almost like a foggy dream.

George yelled 'stupefy' but Draco blocked it, hitting back with 'expelliarmus' which Fred blocked, casting 'impedimenta', causing Draco to slow in his movements.

The portraits on the walls all gasped and jumped at the sight and sounds of the commotion. The Fat Lady bellowed a few raucous cries before fleeing into another portrait away from the scene.

Before any further duelling could take place, Athena pushed passed the twins, forcing herself into the middle of the combat space. However as she dashed into the centre, Draco spat out 'flipendo'.

Luckily, her reactions were quick as she drew her own wand and blocked the spell.

His eyes widened and then pierced venomously. He lowered his wand slightly, now holding it at waist height.

"Enough!"she yelled.

The portrait to the common room swung open and out stumbled Ginny, Hermione, Harry and Ron looking completely abashed.

"What's all this noise-" Ginny began before adjusting to the scene. "What in the bloody hell is going on here?"

"He's one of them!" George cried, pointing his wand towards Draco. "They destroyed our home!"

Athena dropped her gaze from George, briefly closing her eyes in discontent.

"George, this won't do any good. Come inside," Hermione said before fleeting her gaze to Athena, sending her a wary look.

Before they stalked through the portrait, the twins shot Malfoy a resentful death glare. Athena filed in straight behind them but before the portrait closed, Draco muttered her name.

With frustration, she took a step back from the portrait hole and turned to him. She didn't want to talk to him. Not after the events of tonight. She couldn't have her Christmas Day ending in a spat with Draco. It was too exhausting.

However with a stubborn intrigue, she felt curious for what he had to say and how he happened to be here at the same time as them.

"Are you okay?" he asked in a disturbed tone.

"I'm perfectly fine," she replied. "Did you know?"

"I thought I told you to be more careful,"he said, completely disregarding her question.

"It's not like I asked them to come!" she gawked, appalled by his ignorance.

"Well that's what happens when you hang around people like Potter who has a death warranty on his head."

"So what's your brilliant advice? Ditch my friends," she huffed.

"Yeah, if it means you're not in harms way."

"Oh piss off," she rolled her eyes with a sigh. "As if my safety is your number one concern."

"Whilst your carrying my child you might as well be. After that, I couldn't give a shit what you do," he rambled.

"Don't give me that 'my child' bullshit. You didn't even wanna be involved. I mean it's news to me if you actually do," she sneered. "But seriously, know your place."

He made no reply, instead releasing a short, harsh exhale and pulling a frown.

"Did you know that they would go to the Weasley's?" Athena repeated her question from earlier, biting back her anger.

"Of course I did!" he bellowed.

She didn't respond. It seemed like too obvious of a question to ask. A part of her had hoped he would say he didn't know, but why should she feel surprised? He was one of them.

"Look...I didn't know you would be there," he uttered, his voice low and raspy.

"What difference does that make?" she protested.

When he didn't reply, she released a deep sigh before stomping away.

His hand gripped her wrist, the cool metal of his ring pressing against the surface of her skin. She whipped her head around, distraught by his abruptness.

"I am sorry," he sighed, his expression sincerely apologetic. He released her wrist from his clasp and strode away from her to flee the corridor.

She didn't wait to watch him walk away. Instead she entered the common room with haste, attempting to take notice of the familiar sting of his touch which lingered on the surface of her wrist.

***

As January approached and the month for festivities came to an end, the snow remained to blanket the grounds of Hogwarts and the wintry air was more bitter than before.

The Weasley's had been in downcast moods for the most part of the holidays over the destruction of their family home which they had loved and cherished so very much. Though it wasn't just them who were upset. Harry, Hermione and Athena adored the Burrow. Everyone was dispirited after what happened.

What's worse was that Harry blamed himself. He never mentioned it out loud but they could tell that he was riddled with guilt. Hermione and Athena would occasionally remind him that he was not responsible for the actions of the Death Eaters and give reassurance that nobody was blaming him.

Fortunately, their spirits were lifted slightly on New Years Eve when they received a letter from Mr and Mrs Weasley that reconstruction was underway and would be ready in no time. Though this could not compensate for all of those things lost in the fire. All of their family memories and the history, gone. The Burrow held a special place in all of their hearts so to see it destroyed was a terrible loss.

On the night of New Years Eve, they all got together in the Gryffindor common room to celebrate the oncoming of 1997. Athena offered her the remaining bottles from her gift crate of firewhiskey for them to delve into but stuck to pumpkin juice herself.

Fred, George and Ron wouldn't allow Ginny to have any which left her in a frustrated mood. But when they weren't paying attention, Harry and Athena slipped her a small cup of it which lifted her temper. Hermione noticed what they were doing and gave them both a look of disapproval but luckily didn't say anything to the boys.

When the holidays ended, it meant Cedric was to return which thrilled Athena. She had missed him more than she thought possible and awaited his return with riveting anticipation.

She longed to look into his adoring blue eyes, to feel the warmth of his touch on her skin and the heart-melting caress of his lips on hers. When the cluster of students returned from the train station, she awaited in the archway entrance of the castle, impatience consuming her.

When he came into view, the corners of her mouth raised into a bright beam. She lent her back against the wall of the archway, fiddling with her wand flirtatiously.

Cedric approached, walking beside Aurora and Isaac, who had his arm slung around her shoulders.

Carrying his trunk in one arm, with the other he snaked it around Athena's waist, pulling her back off of the wall into a passionate kiss. Butterflies arose in her stomach at the feel of his arm around her.

"Urgh get a room!" Isaac bantered.

She clung to Cedric's side affectionately and they wandered into the castle, chatting and laughing with Isaac and Aurora.

"So how was your Christmas?" Aurora asked Athena.

"Oh it was er- It was great until..."

"Ah...sorry I completely forgot. Cedric told us what happened. How awful," she said.

"Yes it is,"Athena frowned. "Did you have a good Christmas?"

"It was brilliant. Isaac managed to keep my parents entertained," she chuckled, as if referring to an inside joke between the two of them.

"Well what can I say? They love me," Isaac smirked.

"You didn't go home for Christmas?" Athena asked.

"Oh no, not with my family. They don't love me so much," he chuckled in his thick Yorkshire accent, unbothered by what he had just said.
"'Rora's mum makes a killer Christmas dinner anyway. Would choose them over my arrogant bunch in a heartbeat."

He pulled Aurora into his side lovingly and it made Athena smile seeing how perfect the two of them were together. Before Cedric, she would have been jealous of their perfect relationship, idolising it to have that herself one day. But now she saw that she did have that. Everything was so wonderful with Cedric, and she was so entirely happy that it seemed purely impossible for things to ever go wrong.

It was a Saturday when he returned so luckily they had all weekend to spend together without the burden of classes or school work. On that day, everyone was heading to Hogsmeade for a last outing before lessons started for the next term.

However, Athena, Cedric and the rest of their group stayed behind as they were exhausted by the journey. They lounged around in the Hufflepuff common room chatting, laughing and sharing stories from their Christmas breaks. Everyone showed great intrigue for what had happened at the Weasley's so Athena willingly explained it to them, leaving out the details of what she and Cedric were up to when it happened.

As she arrived back to Gryffindor Tower once the evening neared, Harry, Ron and Hermione were all gathered around the fireplace wearing troubled expressions and speaking at a suspicious volume.

"Woah, who died?"she asked jokily attempting to lift the mood, however regretted her touch of light humour when none of them laughed at her comment. "Shit. What happened?"

"Katie Bell...she was cursed," Hermione said gravely.

"What? How?" Athena gaped, taking a seat on one of the sofa chairs.

"It was from this necklace that she was carrying. She must have touched it and we were walking behind her and..." she broke off. "It was rather terrifying."

"Who could have done that to her?"Athena asked.

Harry scoffed as she said it which made her attention turn to him, feeling slightly confused. He didn't look at her but his reaction to her words made her feel rather unsettled. She probably could have formulated a guess as to who it might have been.

"Harry is under the impression that it was Draco Malfoy," Hermione muttered. "But there's no proof of that and-"

"What more proof do you need?" Harry snapped, abandoning his attempt to keep his voice low. A couple of heads turned in their direction which he disregarded. Lowering his again he continued, "We already know he's a Death Eater and he's been sneaking off doing god knows what."

"Hang on, what are you talking about?" Athena asked, caught off guard by his accusations.  "Where's he been sneaking off to?"

"The Room of Requirement. I haven't got a clue what he's doing, but I wouldn't be surprised if its something Voldemort has ordered him to do," he ranted.

Athena's mind wandered to the several recollections she could gather of seeing Draco up and about the castle at strange times. There was the evening they returned to Hogwarts on Christmas Day, the night she blacked out and woke up in his bed the next morning, the night they had slept together and altogether his suspicious behaviour in general.

Could he actually have done this to Katie Bell? It was certainly possible. Athena needed to know if it was true else she would not be able to put the thoughts to rest until she did.

"Harry, can I borrow that map you have of Hogwarts?" she asked.

"The Marauders Map? Why'd you need that?" he questioned, sitting up straighter in his chair.

"Please, can I use it? I will explain later," she begged.

"You're not gonna go see him, are you?" Ron asked.

She sighed before continuing.

"Well someone's got to find out what he's up to," she admitted.

Harry contemplated her request for a moment before giving in as he reached into his pocket and pulled out the old bit of parchment. She thanked him and took it, opening up the parchment, placing her wand on top and uttering, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

The lettering then appeared in front her eyes. She opened it up to see the map and scanned it intently for Draco's name. Eventually she found him to be in the Astronomy Tower and luckily without any names around his.

She placed her wand over the surface of the parchment and said "mischief managed" before passing it back to Harry and heading out of the common room.

-

twenty seventh chapter complete :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

722K 15.6K 59
"I know you want me Laurier" he whispered, I lifted my head up and glare at him. With every anger I seethed through gritted teeth, "Fuck you Malfoy"...
50.5K 952 40
Bella Makenna, a sixth year Hufflepuff, is just an average witch attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She spends her days watching Q...
31.8K 398 15
"Y/n, I promise I will protect you with my life, I won't let anything bad happen to you, never again" Draco Malfoy has always acted like a prat towar...
47K 1.3K 42
Draco Malfoy: cold, distant, ignorant, rude, arrogant, and above all else, downright gorgeous. Juniper Hartley: caring, intelligent, unfathomably sw...